Next project for WoK.

Its all WOK here.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus, Egbert

korexus

Next project for WoK.

Post by korexus » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:47 pm

I've spent a fair amount of time recently looking through the various projects I've worked on then put away. There are a few that got close to being ready for use, but then didn't get finished. With the low number of players around at the moment, they may make for a better addition to the site than getting Intermediate or Advanced WoK running. I'd be interested to hear other people's thoughts.

The first project is the WoK RPG, or WoK Quest as I've been calling it.
quest.png
This basically works, but isn't very feature rich. It would always be quite hack'n'slashy, but is a way to while away some time while you're waiting for a turn to run.

The second is WoK Cities, the resource management game I was working on just before we lost the old site.
cities.png
This also has a fairly high degree of functionality, but has had very little play testing, so won't be at all balanced. I also can't remember exactly how it all works!

Finally, something that doesn't fit the WoK umbrella quite as well, but might be interesting to some people is a Scrabble-like game in which the letter tiles are elements from the periodic table
elemental.png
This was knocked up as a proof of concept, and it feels quite hard to play a full game, but it is an interesting mental process and I wouldn't mind rounding it out.

There are, of course, various other things that could happen. - WoK species is another game that comes to mind that was popular for a while. And there must be many improvements that could be made to the main game. I also really want to do a WoK themed tower defence game at some point, but I think that may be a long way off.

Any thoughts on what the next project should be, please share them here!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

korexus

Re: Next project for WoK.

Post by korexus » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:06 pm

I've made the RPG available at https://www.kaomaris.com/quest/

This is by no means a complete game, but testing gameplay on the development site never goes well, and I think I've ironed out enough kinks in the functionality to make it playable. Give it a go if you'd like! I'll try to round out the missing features as I go along, and also write the outlines of a guide.

Chris.

Ecrivian
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Ecrivian » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:04 pm

So I like the Quest....

I died.... So how do I restart?

Also... Items need some sort of description including requirements for use.
Gameplay is basic which makes it awesome. Some sort of training quest to introduce the game and some basics would make the start up easier maybe after completing tutorial quest there could be a level 1.5? To encourage further gameplay?

I know that these aren't easy tasks but I think they would help gameplay. Thank you so much for your efforts on this! I really like it!
Last edited by Ecrivian on Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

korexus

Post by korexus » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:35 pm

Thanks for the feedback. :)

I'm still trying to figure out the best way of dealing with death. It's quite involved, so I'll start a new thread on that topic. I have made the ability for you to start a new character though, which I'll try to put live this evening.

I did have a page describing items, but it seems to have broken. I'll try to reinstate it.

You're right about the quests. They sort of exist in the town hall (when a player dies, a bounty gets put out on the monster that killed them). That could be extended to some introductory quests.

Plenty to think about. Thanks.

Chris.

korexus

Post by korexus » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:28 pm

It turns out enabling multiple characters wasn't as easy as I hoped. I've manually resurrected you instead.

Chris.

korexus

Post by korexus » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:53 pm

It should now be possible to run more than one character. However those characters don't currently share resources, so it doesn't fully solve the problem.

Ecrivian
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Ecrivian » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:02 am

Hey i am good with that. It allows me to try different strategies

Ecrivian
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Ecrivian » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:37 am

Of course you were going to allow us to choose more than one race so the conputer wouldnt freak out and think that we were trying to duplicate characters

korexus

Post by korexus » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:08 pm

Wasn't that actually. I just forgot to put some of the changes live.

But yes, I do have some code in progress for different races. If we're going to have multiple characters, I should probably let you give them names too...