Tenaria: The Road to Civilization

Discuss your weirdest WOK game ideas and plans here.

Moderators: trewqh, korexus

Dameon

Tenaria: The Road to Civilization

Post by Dameon » Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:25 am

Okay folks, this is a big 'un. I decided that my X-Games as of late have been entirely too placid, so I decided to shake things up with this one. As per most of my X-Games it's actually not too bad in terms of what I as GM will have to do, but it opens up a whole new dimension or two that I think WOK 5 vets will have fun exploring. I've got a rules page set up as usual so y'all can mosey on down there and check this one out. Without further ado.......

[glow=yellow]THE WORLD OF TENARIA:[/glow]

http://www.angelfire.com/mo2/kaomaris/tenaria.html
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Thu Mar 20, 2003 1:45 am

Nick, are the players starting in the cities that are shown on the map?
I figured that was where the special people were but if the players don't start in a city then they will all fail the initial SL check. I guess I don't understand what is the situation with the whatever they are called. will they be somewhere else on each island?
There's no need to fear...........
Underdog is here

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Thu Mar 20, 2003 1:57 am

Good question UD, I did not realize that I had set a starting stock that would be over the initial stock limit. I am upping the starting SL to 2000 to remedy that. The SL in this game will be rather high in general with all the cities being built, but that's probably for the best with that entire new class of magic that will be in use and the required number of diamonds it'll take to create those spells. And yes, the cities currently on the map are Artificer cities, players will be starting in a random province, one to each land area.
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Thu Mar 20, 2003 9:23 am

Interesting, interesting....

A few comments:
- I assume V3.30 will be used ?
- you say 'CBM may only be cast during round 12' - of course you mean PHASE 12 of a turn

Overall a lot of good ideas went into Tenaria (now why does this name sound familiar) BUT.... maybe you did put too much into it.
- so many new options can easily outbalance a game - no one can forsee all the loopholes that might show up (might have been better to try 1-2 of the new features first)
- this will be exhausting work, both for the (dedicated) GM and the Players. Even with only one turn per week (which means the game will run 4-5 months or maybe longer) it means you need hard-working Players willing to take on the extra work - not sure if this waitlist will fill, or how many dropouts will occur
- winning conditions / type of game - Im inclined to believe the new options favor a more passive buildup and defensive style of play, something I am always trying to overcome in WOK. I might be wrong here, but when a bunch of new options come up the Players tend to be even more careful with their moves.

I really like the expansion of the WOK concept, and can only applaud the initiative. Gave me a few ideas on what WOK5 could still need. But again, you might want to think to reduce the number of new options to allow for a smoother transition.

(Finally the X-Games discussion board pays off)

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Thu Mar 20, 2003 9:34 am

Nick, I don't think you wrote how many orders will a player be able to use during phase 12. Is it: as many as he wants and is able to perform?

trewqh

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Post by Egbert » Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:39 pm

Very ingenious ideas, Nick! A few questions:

1. I am probably overlooking something obvious, but I can't figure out which territory is controlled by the Artificers. Sorry, I don't get it. How would you attack or trade with the Artificers if you don't know where they are?

2. If you make a city INDestructible, can it still be hit with conventional stuff --- GCAs/spells?

3. Can you still build up the Defense of a city through Workers and Spells?

4. If a city is destroyed while you are building troop Level there, does the Aim of the province suddenly get switched to something useless?
"Fairy tales can come true,
They can happen to you,
If you're young at heart."

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Thu Mar 20, 2003 1:20 pm

I appreciate your concerns Al, you are right this will be a complicated X-Game. However, ALL extra orders that I as GM have to process are going to be in phase 12 (hehe, that's what I meant). 3.30 will of course be used as the latest version of WOK 5, that goes without saying. And Trewqh, there is still that 5-order limit in phase 12. I know that's not a lot to do EVERYTHING you might want to in that phase, but that will mean players are going to have to use their orders wisely. If I expanded phase 12 to more than 5 orders, than this game would be too large in scale. Just five orders, that I can handle, especially since marketplace orders will still auto-run.

Yes, this game will also take a while. But I don't think it'll be imbalanced, as all new rules apply to all players. It's a new set of winning conditions and a new style of play alltogether, what with the bridges being the only attack routes which players have to build themselves. Players who sign up should realize it will probably be a long game, but then most of my X-Games are like that to a greater or lesser extent. I am confident the waitlist will fill- I have already have five emails of interest since I posted this, I don't have time now but I willl be updating the player list when I get home tonight, and I'd not be surprised if it were full by then.

Now to answer Eg's questions:
Egbert wrote:Very ingenious ideas, Nick! A few questions:

1. I am probably overlooking something obvious, but I can't figure out which territory is controlled by the Artificers. Sorry, I don't get it. How would you attack or trade with the Artificers if you don't know where they are?
Look at the map. Do you see the (black and white) city graphics already there? Those are the Arificer cities. Player built cities won't look like that, they will look like whatever the color of the city in the "City" column of the player data table is. Too, if a player decided to take over an Artificer city, the city graphic would change to a city for that player. Sorry for any confusion.
Egbert wrote:
2. If you make a city INDestructible, can it still be hit with conventional stuff --- GCAs/spells?
OK, to really answer this question you have to consider that cities themselves can't be "hit" by any normal WOK spells or GCAs. DEF, which is attached to the province, CAN be. Building and upgrading cities will raise the province DEF by 1.0, and yes, that still can be hit by GCAs or spells even if the city itself is IND. However, the city cannot be "hit" by any means. Any DEF bonus (except for the 0.5 built into the manager) that you get for building/upgrading a city is destroyable, regardless of the state of the city. My apologies if that was unclear.
Egbert wrote: 3. Can you still build up the Defense of a city through Workers and Spells?
As with question two, you can still build up the Defense of the province with workers and spells. The city itself doesn't have any defense.
Egbert wrote: 4. If a city is destroyed while you are building troop Level there, does the Aim of the province suddenly get switched to something useless?
Another good question, and yes again. These are all excellent points of debate folks, keep em comin!

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Thu Mar 20, 2003 10:46 pm

Update: I now have six players confirmed for this game, meaning three spots left. TKG is filled, but all other clans still have at least one spot availiable. I haven't filled out the player table yet on the group page I won't do that till I have all 9 and am running the initial turn, which will be sometime this weekend I anticipate.

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Sun Mar 23, 2003 2:55 pm

Two spots left folks. I'd like to get the initial turn out before I go on vacation, which will be in about twenty four hours now. If I don't get those last spots filled before then, the initial turn probably won't run until a week from today when I come back.

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:47 pm

All right, the CoN team of Nestalawe and Underdog round out our nine players. Initial turn reports will be out either tonight or tomorrow night. Good luck to all!