Character death and resurrection.

Talk about the WoK Role Playing Game, currently in open beta.

Moderator: korexus

korexus

Character death and resurrection.

Post by korexus » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:04 pm

I'm not really sure what is best to do here. I like the idea of a Rogue-like game where death is common and permanent. However I also like the idea of being able to build up a character to greater heights, at which point death will be quite annoying.

I can see a case for a high level heal spell that allows you to resurrect a dead character. Once that concept exists, the idea of letting the temple do it for a fee seems reasonable (although potentially someone has to get the character back to the temple first).

For now I'm thinking that you can start a new character immediately, and start again, and that you can resurrect a character for a fairly high fee. If the new character could also pay the resurrection fee for the old one, that could all work out, however that probably means all your characters should share a common bank account.

Thoughts welcome!

Chris.

Ecrivian
Trooper
Trooper

Re: Character death and resurrection.

Post by Ecrivian » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:38 am

Check out a game called "sword and glory" the concept there is similar to this but limited because of live action battles similar to a side screen fighter such as mortal kombat. I like WOK Quest because it reminds me of an old school RPG while not quite turn based combat but not true live action either. It hits a sweet spot of old and new.

Ecrivian
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Ecrivian » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:41 am

Sword and Glory has a game that you pay of you want to resurrect your own fallen character but you start back out at lev 1 and have to go thru the steps all over again. Which is monotonous but the price you pay for getting yourself killed.

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:17 pm

I instituted a resurrect button. It costs gold and AP, but will restore you to full health and return you to the city.

That's probably making life too easy, but it helps with the testing if nothing else.

Thanks,
Chris.

Ecrivian
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Ecrivian » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:03 pm

Where is said button located? Will I need to delete cookies and restart to see it?

korexus

Post by korexus » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:34 pm

In the stats pane, just below the refresh button. You don't need to clear cookies, but you might need to clear your cache or do a hard refresh before it loads. (I'll see if I can do something about that.)

Ecrivian
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Ecrivian » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:30 am

Okay cleared cache but still not seeing button. So.....

korexus

Post by korexus » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:12 pm

Just created a throw away character to check. This time the code is there...
resurrect.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ecrivian
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Ecrivian » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:37 pm

Just tried to resurrect my character. (On multiple devices, one mobile and one actual computer, using Chrome) Button still isn't showing... I didn't mean to break it I'm sorry :(

korexus

Post by korexus » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:21 pm

Good bug.

It seems that if you:
* died
* waited for your game session to expire
* came back
* tried to do something
then the thing tracking your remaining hit points got confused, at which point it didn't think you needed to resurrect button.

I've now fixed that for the case of hit points, but I suspect some other things are wrong too, so I'll dig around a bit.
(You may need to hit the refresh button in the stats window to get the resurrect button to appear.)

Thanks,
Chris.

Ecrivian
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Ecrivian » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:03 pm

Sweet life! Thanks Chris!

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:17 pm

korexus wrote:you might need to clear your cache or do a hard refresh before it loads. (I'll see if I can do something about that.)
I think I've now dealt with this issue, but I'm not certain it hasn't slowed the site down. Slow and correct is probably better than fast and wrong, but fast and correct is better, I'll keep digging.

korexus

Post by korexus » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:08 pm

As well as the paid resurrect button, you should now have a free resurrect round about an hour after you die. That time period will likely change in the future, but for now I want it short to help with testing.