three worlds

All about the online version of classic WOK games.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus

Lardmaster
Commander
Commander

Post by Lardmaster » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:04 pm

And it's not pink, it's lilac. So there.
Question everything.

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:40 am

korexus wrote:I think GMs Dragonette and Han should probably merge games. I'm not sure the need for games is high enough right now to justify two open waiting lists.

I know that the games were set up with different ojectives in mind (Han's was purely for beginners) but there's no point having a beginners only game if it never opens...

korexus.
Just found this thread when checking status on this pending game. Don't worry, I effectively did that at the time: when each signed up to "Absolute Beginners", I accepted them into it AND ALSO wrote them saying they were welcome to join the current all-comers game as well or instead, because it might well start sooner. That was gm-Drag's previous game at the time.

So I DID send them to the other game, but none of them bit at the time.

Mine serves a couple of purposes:
It was/is a catch-net, for any new visitors who arrive half-hearted, but see a beginners-only game that sounds easier for them.
It maybe attracts them to register, and collects their names.
I then sent them to the other game, if they're willing.
If unwilling, they stay in sign-up for Beginners until there are 10 of them.
Then they all get the help that attracted them to it, if still interested.
Best of both worlds.

So I think there IS a point in having a Beginners-only game open at all times; hopefully it will run, but even if it never does. Just my view.

Anyway, with gm-Dragonette's game waiting on a tenth, I've now again mailed all 3, Smitty, Kaleon and ampkai, suggesting one of them grab the 10th slot and get started straight away. Hope it helps.
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

Tinker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tinker » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:22 pm

hA<b>n</b>n<b><i>i</i></b>Ba<i><b>L</b></i> wrote: So I think there IS a point in having a Beginners-only game open at all times; hopefully it will run, but even if it never does. Just my view..
This may not be the right thread for this, but I have to respectfully disagree with Han on this issue. I like the idea of a Beginners game, but I think it's only effective if it gets running reasonably quickly. A Beginners game is supposed to welcome you to the site and ease you gently into gameplay, but if it never runs then all it does is keep you waiting and frustrated. After waiting weeks for a game to start I would guess that many people stop checking and just leave the site without ever having played a turn.
Tinker
"Trust me, of course I'm on your side..."

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:58 pm

Remember what you promised me Lardie...? :twisted:

Good to see that one has started. And with a couple of new faces, too!

Good luck to everyone!
trewqh
the gleefully aggressive Vulking

Brykovian

Post by Brykovian » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:31 pm

GM Dragonette ... Did you get my request to join this game? 'Cause I'd like to. :)

-Bryk
Matt Worden Games ... Gem Raider, DareBase, Castle Danger, Keeps & Moats Chess

Brykovian

Post by Brykovian » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:32 pm

Brykovian wrote:GM Dragonette ... Did you get my request to join this game? 'Cause I'd like to. :)
Whoops -- nevermind ... I didn't see the new merc slipped in right ahead of me.

Good luck to all -- enjoy.

-Bryk
Matt Worden Games ... Gem Raider, DareBase, Castle Danger, Keeps & Moats Chess

Lardmaster
Commander
Commander

Post by Lardmaster » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:24 pm

You can always be the first to join the new game Bryk.
Question everything.

Lardmaster
Commander
Commander

Post by Lardmaster » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:25 pm

Oh, you already did!!!! my bad :D
Question everything.

Recruit
Recruit

Post by 55378008 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:12 pm

Lardmaster wrote:Oh, you already did!!!! my bad :D
LM, did you get beat up by a neutral?

Lardmaster
Commander
Commander

Post by Lardmaster » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:44 am

It's cold up north is my excuse.
Question everything.

Hryllantre
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Hryllantre » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:30 am

Sorry for missing the turn I thought it wasn't supposed to run for a while yet...

Dragonette
Commander
Commander

Post by Dragonette » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:26 am

Hello everyone

due to someone ' going out of town'. I have extended the deadline. To give them chance to put their orders in.

Sorry for any invoncince this will cause.

dragonette.

Hryllantre
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Hryllantre » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:36 pm

Deadline shift for the amount of time you've sanctioned should be at least asked for via the forums....

This is a long time to wait - Next turn due 221 hours and 41 minutes. 24hrs sometimes 48hrs is more appropriate I thought we we're doing away with the long break shenanigans...

What was the final verdict on that anyway - we need a system where if the AWOL player belongs to a clan another member can be subbed in. 221hrs is equivalent to M-3 and change so we need a definitive answer here else we'll likely only see 1 turn a month with the holiday season upon us...

And yes, I always speak my mind, I find it very refreshing...

Just in case anyone considers this post a whinge think again. I happily cycled many miles whilst holidaying in rural France to find a connection and only missed one turn. I could blame that on a flat tyre but (nay) it was the red grapes that did me in :@) ...

A final decision please as thisssssssss is madnessssssssss

Tinker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tinker » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:48 pm

I agree that a gap in turns this long should have been put to the players as a question rather than just imposed by fiat. That said, what's done is done.
Tinker
"Trust me, of course I'm on your side..."

Recruit
Recruit

Post by 55378008 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:37 pm

Thanks for the dealy. I had no access to a computer while I was gone.

Dragonette
Commander
Commander

Post by Dragonette » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:26 pm

if everyone presses their i am ready for the game to run button then i will run it early.

dragonette.

korexus

Post by korexus » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:04 pm

If everyone presses the button then you won't have to. The engine runs the turn automatically in those circumstances...

Chris.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:00 pm

korexus wrote:If everyone presses the button then you won't have to. The engine runs the turn automatically in those circumstances...

Chris.
This is hard to resist. Kor, you have said that you when playing, and lots of others, tend to deliberately put in orders but NOT press "Ready", for reasons of possible advantage. If only even ONE player follows your practice, then it won't run till the 10 days runs out. Even if all 10 players had orders in, and even if all 10 players would benefit in enjoyment by the turn running sooner, since all have their orders in.

They might all now be waiting an unnecessary 3 extra days?

Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

korexus

Post by korexus » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:45 pm

Han, please read Dragonette's post...

Chris.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Hannibal
Commander
Commander

Post by Hannibal » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:12 am

Tinker wrote:
hA<b>n</b>n<b><i>i</i></b>Ba<i><b>L</b></i> wrote: So I think there IS a point in having a Beginners-only game open at all times; hopefully it will run, but even if it never does. Just my view..
This may not be the right thread for this, but I have to respectfully disagree with Han on this issue. I like the idea of a Beginners game, but I think it's only effective if it gets running reasonably quickly. A Beginners game is supposed to welcome you to the site and ease you gently into gameplay, but if it never runs then all it does is keep you waiting and frustrated. After waiting weeks for a game to start I would guess that many people stop checking and just leave the site without ever having played a turn.
Tinker may be right. So I'll scrap it.

I still think I may be right. It was intended as a catch-net for some newbies who might think "Just the game for me as a beginner". Thus encouraging them to register and sign up at all, when they might otherwise just pass us by. A hook.

It wasn't intended to never run. But if it never ran, I saw it as hooking a few, with no downside. Anyone who applied, I immediately advised them into whichever mixed game was running, on the basis it would start earlier. I got 2 or 3 new players from my "Beginners" into a mixed game that way. But maybe they'd have gone there if my game didn't exist as an alternative, who knows?

But I don't see the harm. It doesn't keep them "waiting and frustrated", since I bounce them into a mixed game, having attracted them at all. Sort of win/draw. Win if it takes place, draw if I bounce them on.

Kor also posted against:
but there's no point having a beginners only game if it never opens...

So that's 2 against, and nobody posting for, so I'll go with the Consensus of the Boards and scrap it before it entraps another newby. It might be worth reviving when/if we get round to that recruitment drive, no prob.