WoK RPG Public Beta.

Check here for the latest news, problems & ideas

Moderators: trewqh, korexus

SmashFace

Post by SmashFace » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:17 pm

really? awesome, actually i'm glad i restarted i really like my charactor now :)
God of WOK

korexus

Post by korexus » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:30 am

There's no reason why your first character should be particularly good. You don't know what stats will be most useful, you don't know how much each skill type will help and you're likely to be overconfident when fighting some monsters.

Add to that the planned changes for aging, where you'll be hard pressed to use the same character indefinitely anyway and allowing legacies seemed the best option.

The best option is to come back to the city, put all your stuff in the bank/storage and then reset. - If you have to reset because you died in the wilderness and can't resurrect, everything you are carrying will be lost.

Chris.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Lardmaster
Commander
Commander

Post by Lardmaster » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:25 pm

Does money in the bank earn interest?
Question everything.

korexus

Post by korexus » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:35 pm

No, but it can't be stolen by monsters or lost when you die.

After you've found a few items, cash seems not to be much of a problem, so I don't think interest will be necessary.

Chris.

Hryllantre
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Hryllantre » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:22 pm

My mighty warrior has fought bravely and recently returned home with two Tomes of Learning. Will I be able to use both on myself or should I give one to someone else/sell...

Lardmaster
Commander
Commander

Post by Lardmaster » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:29 pm

Use 'em on yourself I would.
Question everything.

korexus

Post by korexus » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:03 pm

If you have the AP and stats, I'd suggest using both of them on yourself. Especially since Smashy has convinced me to make total AP partially dependent on stats, consider it an investement!

Stat boosting items seem to be very common now. Maybe I overdid it slightly. I could tweak the numbers again, or I could impose maximum stats on players. Any thoughts?

Chris.

Tinker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tinker » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:58 pm

My AP's don't seem to be refreshing. Could this be connected to the lobby crash yesterday?

As far as the stat boosting goes, so far in 3 days of adventuring I've found 4 tomes. Does that sound too high? I'm not sure. (If you decide to nerf the drop rate, please wait until I get a Str boost :) )
Tinker
"Trust me, of course I'm on your side..."

Hryllantre
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Hryllantre » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:31 pm

Tinker wrote:(If you decide to nerf the drop rate, please wait until I get a Str boost :) )
I agree with Tinker on this one, since changing my character to a peaceful Elf I haven't yet managed to find a weapon let alone equip one due to Strength 7. However I have aquired 9 potions 2 used and 5 tomes...

The balance on potions and tomes may not be right but weigh that against the inability to weild any goodly blade due to poor strength, then the greater dread of leaving the safety of the castle walls behind armed with a fork, a copper helm, a pair of trousers with holes in and a T-Shirt...

It isn't the Kobolds that are scared I can tell ye...

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:35 pm

Tinker. You've discovered the peril of playing a half-elf character. Everytime I update something, I have to remember whether the race is hyphenated or not. Turns out that it is, but when I redid the AP update script I forgot that, so all half-elf characters stopped getting APs...

I've corrected the error now, and filled all half-elves to full AP.

This wasn't caused by the lobby crash, but connected to it. I updated both scripts without having had any wine to drink. Sober is evidentally a bad state for programming! :P

Hryllantre. I don't think the balance is right yet, however I've only redone the item distribution for humanoid monsters so far. I'll get working on the 250 or so other critters tonight. That might make it better or worse, but I'm loathe to start fiddling with the formulae before I've finished this balance attempt...

Chris.

Tinker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tinker » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:11 pm

korexus wrote:Tinker. You've discovered the peril of playing a half-elf character. Everytime I update something, I have to remember whether the race is hyphenated or not. Turns out that it is, but when I redid the AP update script I forgot that, so all half-elf characters stopped getting APs...
Chris.
Did you change something again, Chris? My AP's are stalled again.
Tinker
"Trust me, of course I'm on your side..."

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:53 pm

No, but when I fixed it last time, I only updated the word in one place. :oops:

Fixed again. You'll be glad to know that I've had some wine first this time, so the fix should work!

Chris.

Hryllantre
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Hryllantre » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:46 pm

You are dead. You cannot do anything because you are dead.
You can be brought back to life by the city's morgue.
This will cost you 150 Activity Points and 12,500 gold.

The problem is I cannot access my bank account whilst I am dead.

What can I do?!! Apart from Reset Character...

korexus

Post by korexus » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:50 pm

The morgue can take cash direct from the bank, so you don't need to worry there.

Of course if you don't have enough in the bank, you have more of a problem.

Some items in the shop can raise the dead and at least one player has sufficient heal ability to bring you back. I guess you need to convince someone to rescue you.

Or you could reset your character.

Chris.

Hryllantre
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Hryllantre » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:32 pm

I have an Elixior of Restoration and plenty of gold. However I will wait another tick before calling for help...

korexus

Post by korexus » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:22 pm

Unfortunately, you can't drink potions when you're dead. You need a friend to pour it down your throat!

Also, resoration heals hit points, it doesn't raise the dead. Sorry.

Chris.

Hryllantre
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Hryllantre » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:10 pm

Strange, I reset my character and looked at my bank balance which was 21,882 gold and with leaving my AP's for several hours I cannot understand why the system didn't allow me to resurrect myself...

I needed 12,500 gold and 150 AP

Any ideas?!!

korexus

Post by korexus » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:40 pm

Unfortunately, now that you've reset I can't look to see. If the same thing happens again, let me know and I'll look. I can tell you that resurrection is working though, I've used it a fair few times myself! Looking at the list of deadly monsters, quite a lot of people have been dying recently.

The deadliest monster list is coming on nicely. The next step is to implement a quest system. You take out a quest to kill one of the deadly monsters, if you manage it the you get a reward.

Watch out that deadly monsters *can* heal. They can also recruit friends. I'm hoping that this will add character to the map :)

If you're dying to often, I highly recomend the prisms of sanctuary. Anyone past level 8 can equip one and using it whisks you straight back home. Better still, if you sell it to the shop, it will be recharged for you! Don't leave home without one...

Chris.

Hryllantre
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Hryllantre » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:20 pm

Something strange has happened to my Beta game page. It now has 5 separate and moveable parts which I can adjust around my screen as I wish. That's fine but I cannot find the North, South, East, West direction tabs to go anywhere...

korexus

Post by korexus » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:34 pm

As well as adjusting the position, you can also adjust the size, by dragging from the bottom right corner. If your screen resolution is smaller than mine, you may not be able to see everything when the game first loads.

The movement options are in the window labled "main", I planned for them to be visible but if they're not, you should be able to scroll down to them or resize the window as you like. I can change the intial sizes to make this easier if you like.

Chris.