New players, looking for a game

The place to comment, whether you're a first time visitor or a returning old timer.

Moderators: trewqh, korexus, Hannibal

korexus

Post by korexus » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:33 am

Xarfei!

Xarfei! Xarfei! Xarfei! Xarfei! Xarfei!

Welcome back! :D

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:47 am

Xarfei wrote:Servus and Hello!
Hi, Xarfei!

Good to see you back!
trewqh
the gleefully aggressive Vulking

discocloud
Recruit
Recruit

Post by discocloud » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:25 pm

Just thought I'd stick my head in and say hi, just signed up to the site so if anyone sees me in a game and wants to give me a hand/mercilessly take advantage of me then feel free! :)

Hryllantre
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Hryllantre » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:39 pm

Welcome to Kaomaris discocloud

Sure, lots of players would be willing to help but what a great idea to combine nurturing and nuking at once...

Here's a game to join http://www.kaomaris.com/phpNuke/modules ... 424#action this game should fill up quickly once a couple more turns of this http://www.kaomaris.com/phpNuke/modules ... R=4#action game runs. A turn is approx every 72hrs which gives you plenty of time to communicate with friend and foe :@)

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:14 pm

Welcome Discocloud! :3dancers: :beatnik:

Always good to see a new face, hope to see you on the battlefield soon!
trewqh

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:43 am

Hi Discocloud. A big welcome to WOK!

You applied to the Absolute Beginners game on offer, and I've accepted and added you. Great.

That game might take a while to fill up to 10 players (hard for me to predict) and get started, and you may or may not be impatient to see some action ...

So, as well as being signed up there, you are welcome to join the current open-to-all game on offer, GM Lardy: 4 Colonial, which looks likely to fill sooner. It already has at least one other absolute beginner (elbrayn108 or so), and 1 or 2 who are near-beginners, so you might not be out of your depth. I'd be OK with you pulling out of my Absolute Beginners if the other game starts first and you don't want to play in both, no problem. Or you can just hold on for an all-beginners if that is what attracted you.

A third option: If you are hot to trot: even while waiting for GM Lardy or Absolute Beginners to fill and start, you could ask me to get you started with a learning game; you and another beginner against each other, with 8 robo-players plodding forwards. Good practice and fun. You could always both cancel it when your real game starts, it might have helped, and might fill in the wait. You could mail or PM the other absolute beginner, elbryan108, signed-up to GM Lardy's game, and banter about a challenge for practice. Just click on him on scoreboard below the map for GM Lardy's game, and you'll have the way to contact him. Or, eg, Deucalion, who is also pretty new. Lemme know?

Either way, welcome and enjoy!

Cheers,
Han
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:57 am

BTW, discocloud, how did you find us? And what appealed to you to make you register rather than move on elsewhere?

This is to help figure out what to push in our upcoming recruitment drive.

Thanks.

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

discocloud
Recruit
Recruit

Post by discocloud » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:58 am

Thanks for the welcome, guys. 8)

Hannibal - I've applied to join the other game as you suggested. Pretty happy just to wait for them to fill up - will give me some time to fully digest all the rules. ;) I'm not so proud to let a couple of good thrashings upset me...just give me more fuel for future targets. :twisted: :shock: :lol:

Edit : Found your post when browsing through the Pbem list http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/pbm_list/email.html. You sounded so keen I thought I'd have a look and the various new user pieces that people had written convinced me that there was a good community here - and here I am.

Arjuna
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Arjuna » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:55 am

Hi all. This game looks interesting, never played before, but i'd welcome the chance to join a game and see what its like - and to test my mettle -although i suspect i'll be bantha fodder to begin with... still, that shouldnt deter me.

korexus

Post by korexus » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:46 am

Welcome!

I was about to show you the current open game, but I see you've already found it. While you're waiting for that to fill you can also use the practice game http://www.kaomaris.com/phpNuke/modules ... &GameID=65 to get used to order submission and turn structure. It's a little complex, so feel free to shout up with any questions.

Now let's have some more people joining LM's game. :)

korexus.

Hryllantre
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Hryllantre » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:33 pm

Ok I've applied

Welcome Arjuna

Kryptus
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Kryptus » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:44 pm

I've just signed up and am hoping for a couple of decent games soon. However, I don't seem to be able to apply to the beginner's game. The page is offering me the chance to change commentary, run a turn and view others people's orders and reports! Is this something I've done, or not?

korexus

Post by korexus » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:31 am

Hi Kryptus, and welcome to WoK!

I imagine that you are looking at the practice game. This is a game which constantly open, and for which all players have the privileges usually only granted to GMs.

The idea is that you can add yourself and any friends to the game and use it to try out orders strategies outside of a 'real' game. You have access to all players' orders and turn reports so you can see what is going on.

There is no open game specifically for beginners right now (although 2 have just started). You could hang around and wait for another, but it could be a little while, so instead I would recommend you apply for GM Lardy's game #428 It's open to all players, but two of the current sign ups are also new, so you won't be alone.

Hope that helps.
korexus.

bceaglesgo

Re: New players, looking for a game

Post by bceaglesgo » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:43 pm

Hi all, just registered and looking to play a game. Pleasure meeting everyone!

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:04 pm

We've already talked through e-mail, but, once more, welcome to Kaomaris... Graken! I'll let you explain! :)
trewqh

Graken
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Graken » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:44 am

Thank you for the welcome, trewqh. We did indeed talk in email and you commented on my original horrible name of 'bceaglesgo' and it's lack lusterness. I aptly agreed and stated that I had wanted a previously applied for name, just had forgotten the password and email I used back then. Upon a swift email to Chris, the site admin, you were able to rectify the situation and hence, 'Graken' was born once more.

Thank you both for your assistence!

:2thumbs:

Hryllantre
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Hryllantre » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:51 pm

Welcome to Kaomaris Graken

Hannibal
Commander
Commander

Post by Hannibal » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:11 pm

Welcome to kaomaris, Graken, and thanks for changing to a name more in the spirit of the game. Once diplomacy happens, it's just kinder of you (once you realise it's a player-name, not just a password), that you have a name the other 9 can remember, pronounce, and refer to in their mails to each other eg "Let's try and work with Graken", rather than "Let's work with bceag or whatever ...". Thanks. I might be the only one who thinks this matters ... imho it shows people are into the spirit of it. Well done you. If you're in the same game as 55???325??149?? , you might make the same point to him?! (Hey, I realise that people don't necessarily realise that the password they put in becomes their player-name for others to refer to them by.)

This is gonna make me seem obsessed that new players have names in the spirit of the game, not just treating names as passwords. If you think about it, it affects the atmosphere. And those with mere passwords tend to be half-hearted and leave after one game or even one turn. Not guaranteed, but there's a correlation, which must be to do with getting into the spirit of it.

Main point: thanks, Graken, for bothering to get into the spirit of it. Seeya.

Han

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:37 pm

For anyone who's confused. Your password does not become your username at any point. Your username remains your username, your password will be secret and can be whatever you like. :wink: :P

Chris.

Graken
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Graken » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:22 pm

I am definitely glad I could use a more game friendly name. I was wondering though, since I've never played before, how long will it take for this EDEN game to start? I see there is one empty slot. Will the game start eventually with that slot unfilled or does it have to be filled? Just wondering. :?: