Late night out

Everything non-WOK related should go in here.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus, Egbert

Duke

Late night out

Post by Duke » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:22 am

I go out to pubs and clubs like once every ten years and naturally I dont have a clue about where to go since the places I was at last time has changed or closed.

Anyway, last night I tried a place called Dancing Dingo and not surpricingly it was mostly australian stuff there. Bitter beer and whatever you have down under. A rugby match between England and France was probably the reason why it was 99% men there and 1% women who could pass for men as well.

So, I left and went to some other place which was better. Here comes the vital part in this little story.

From nowhere a women sort of falls into my lap. She excuses herself in english with an irish accent. Behind her is a huge guy who looks like he spent most his life in a mine carrying heavy rocks. Naturally this is her husband who now is upset with me due to.....well I dont know really.

I tell you. The words that came out of his mouth was like in a language where you just make up the rules as you go. NO sense what so ever. His wife had to translate for him and as it turns out, she was from Dublin and he was from some sort of village waaaay down south in Ireland. They talked about some singer in a group called Girls aloud who talks like he does. I wouldnt know since I never heard of the group.

However, this was a surprice to me. Is irish-english (what do you call it?) that different in Dublin compared to down in southern ireland? I understand that there are dialects but this was beyond any dialects. This was pure jibberish.

They live in Belfast now. I told them to keep their heads low when the go home but that joke didnt really take. :roll:
First one here, last one to leave.

Nemesis
Trooper
Trooper

Re: Late night out

Post by Nemesis » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:12 am

Duke wrote: They talked about some singer in a group called Girls aloud who talks like he does. I wouldnt know since I never heard of the group.
Nadine Coyle

I would say that Irish accents could be like that. It can be hard to understand some English accents when people start talking very quickly :D

England won the rugby match btw :wink:

edit: Or maybe he was actually speaking Gaelic?

Duke

Post by Duke » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:26 pm

Yes, gaelic crossed my mind as well but why would he speak with me in a language hardly anyone outside Irland knows?
First one here, last one to leave.