JRR Tolkien versus GRR Martin. Discuss.

Everything non-WOK related should go in here.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus, Egbert

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

JRR Tolkien versus GRR Martin. Discuss.

Post by Hannibal » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:03 am

Topic title says it really.

H.
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:06 am

Oh, for me, Tolkien is absolutely brilliant. And Martin is twice as good.

H.

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:31 am

Neither? :P

I never read Martin, tbh, but I'm just not tempted by fantasy at all. *ducks for cover*
Last edited by trewqh on Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
trewqh
the gleefully aggressive Vulking

Mullog
Veteran
Veteran
Location: Aalesund, Norway (freezing!). Member of the Vulkings

Post by Mullog » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:11 am

I am reading The Game of Thrones now and I really like it. But I still prefer Tolkien. He is the grand master of fantasy after all.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
- Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

Lardmaster
Commander
Commander

Post by Lardmaster » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:00 pm

Hmmm. Tough one. Although I would say that Martin isn't what I would call "traditional" fantasy. No magic and wotnot (except for the Others and a couple of dragons). It's more an imaginary mediaeval historical kind of genre. Kudos to Tolkein for being the creator of an entire genre but for me Martin has much more depth and I just love intrigue :D Imagine the game Medieval 2 but in stroy format. Kind of. Or not.
Question everything.

Duke

Post by Duke » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:30 pm

Grr what? And the Norwegian knows what it is!?

This is a blank spot I need to cover.
First one here, last one to leave.

Hannibal
Commander
Commander

Post by Hannibal » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:30 am

You can thank me later, Duke.

Han

Duke

Post by Duke » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:52 pm

Perhaps. Depends on how pissed I am after the duel 8)

I checked that Martin guys homepage and he sure has the looks to write fantasy. I'm guessing he never played striker....

He has some own tips on his homepage and one book (forgotten the name now) was LOTR but from Saurons point of view. Martin claims that you end up rooting for Sauron instead. That one got my intrest.

Tinker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tinker » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:24 pm

If you like fantasy, he's definitely one of the authors out there worth reading. He comes at things from a different angle than most, which I appreciate. As much as I admire JRR, his fantasy stylings have been done to death those who followed him. It's a rare pleasure to find somebody who does fantasy both differently and well.
Tinker
"Trust me, of course I'm on your side..."

Duke

Post by Duke » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:12 am

Well then. When I am done with my current book I will pick one of those bad boys up. Any hints on which one to start with? Is there an order to them?

Btw, you're on the E schedule now Tinker, right? Dismiss at 1.35 PM? That is what I thought. 8)

Duke

Post by Duke » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:17 am

No wait.... I am guessing....staff?

Dont worry. I wont post where or anything. I just get a kick out of finding out stuff.

Tinker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tinker » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:59 pm

:huh: I have no idea what an "E" Schedule is, Duke?

I'm guessing that it might be a school thing, and if so then I'm afraid you're way off... my school days are long gone and, honestly, best forgotten :wink:

As for the "Song of Ice and Fire" series, it's definitely worth reading them in order. I believe it goes "A Game of Thrones," then "A Storm of Swords," "A Clash of Kings," and "A Feast for Crows." There is at least one more book on the horizon, and I suspect one or two more to follow.

I should add that I found the first 100 or so pages of "A Game of Thrones" to be fairly typical stuff and I almost set it aside. I'm glad I pushed on, because the writing and storyline gets stronger and more interesting as it goes.
Tinker

Duke

Post by Duke » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:26 pm

A game of thrones it is then.

Man! Really? Way off? That IP you used like 78 times of you 98 originates from a High School in Ottawa or is at least used by people enrolled there. Nevermind then.

Tinker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tinker » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:40 pm

Well, the Ottawa part is right. High School and I are long done with each other, though! Weird...
Tinker

Brykovian

Post by Brykovian » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:41 pm

Duke wrote:or is at least used by people enrolled there
lol ... so that would be, like, any normal residential ISP then? ;) :P

-Bryk
Matt Worden Games ... Gem Raider, DareBase, Castle Danger, Keeps & Moats Chess

Duke

Post by Duke » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:21 pm

Yes and no.

I work with probability. If I find that enough similar randomcreated IP's seems to be used in the same exact spot then I find it likely that the person using that IP probably could be part of that body.

But as you say. He could simply have used the same ISP and this seems to be the case and I am as usual the :clown:

ARBCO
Recruit
Recruit

Post by ARBCO » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:49 pm

I’m new here…so I get to revive old threads….and tick people off at the same time! Watch this. :wink:

I can’t stand Tolkien. :twisted: I find him dry and boring. (Loved the three movies though…go figure) If that didn’t tick you off enough…I hate it when people crown him the creator of fantasy, or the genre. Robert E Howard, the creator of Conan, created and published the world of Hyboria and Conan years before Tolkien created his work. I’m talking the early ‘30’s. Now…I’m not suggesting Howard was the creator of the genre either, for there was definitely plenty of “sword and sorcery” or “fantasy” being written. Yes, Tolkien added more depth to his world by creating a language, but to credit him as the creator…just rubs me the wrong way.

So…trying to stay on topic…I would say I enjoy Martin much, much more. All of the books are great. I just wish the guy would pick up the pace a bit.

And just out of curiosity….what do you guys think of Robert Jordan, who has passed away just recently, in case you were unaware. The Wheel of Time series, when read as a whole, is amazing as well. The last book is yet to be published, and given that he is no longer with us, it is hard to say when that will occur. I’m actually guessing it will happen sooner than if he were still alive, struggling with his condition and trying to work. Apparently, his wife was intimately involved in the editing of the books and is a likely candidate to finish the last book.
ARBCO

"Ah...excuse me. I have a skull for the Skull Throne. Where would you like me to put it?"

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:30 pm

trewqh wrote:Neither? :P

I never read Martin, tbh, but I'm just not tempted by fantasy at all. *ducks for cover*
ARBCO wrote:I can’t stand Tolkien. :twisted: I find him dry and boring.
You're not the only one in the club. :)
trewqh

Duke

Post by Duke » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:06 pm

Perhaps not but it sure is a small club :roll:

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:24 am

'Cause it's exclusive. 8)
trewqh