Server about to die! (edit: We're back online.)

Check here for the latest news, problems & ideas

Moderators: trewqh, korexus

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:55 am

I think that apart from the first two sentences Sal was actually totally serious, Han.

Updating once a year doesn't hurt that much, although I see how korexus thinks he has enough on his hands already. If it's simply enough to download everything from the ftp then I can create a second backup on my laptop, Chris?
Last edited by trewqh on Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
trewqh
the gleefully aggressive Vulking

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:55 am

PS We all should spend most of the funds on a huge Life insurance policy on Kor. So that if he dies, really than frequently virtually, we may never get to play WoK again but we'll all be rich enough to start over ... or not care! Apart from losing Kor, of course ....

Han
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

Vortan
Commander
Commander

Post by Vortan » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:02 pm

:idea:

Why not lets all try to STOP BICKERING for once. I thought I was bad, good grief!

Han, I here what you are saying but I do genuinely believe that with the current arrangement of korexus reprogramming in abundance that the point is mute in that he is likely to have multiple backups already, and probably all over the place too. I would if I was doing all the work.

That said, not taking away from the work you have done also - or anyone I have forgotten - Vortan quickly dancing through the potential minefield of offendees.

BUT - I am inclined to actually agree with Saladin in that if anything WERE to happen to kor - and life being what it is today this cannot be ruled out - then we would all be stuffed - backup or no backup. Perhaps the 'lost kor' scenario should be considered as more urgent.

Sorry kor if all this talk of you 'popping you clogs' is freaking you out. We would miss you so much if anything happened to you as we would be WOKLESS without you. Sort out a backup plan then at least if you die we are all okay :!: :twisted:

NO, LOOK JOKING ALRIGHT! DONT TAKE ME SERIOUSLY :lol:
Now WHY did it do THAT!

If at first you don't succeed - give up and have a coffee!

Yes I am on the transplant list for a new sense of humour!

Vortan
Commander
Commander

Post by Vortan » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:04 pm

Eek - suffering Hanitis - other replies getting in before I have finished typing - MEDICAL ALERT - its contagious. :lol:
Now WHY did it do THAT!

Lardmaster
Commander
Commander

Post by Lardmaster » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:13 pm

I could get a memory stick for free if required.
Question everything.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:17 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just realised something. We completely forgot about GM Al. :lol:
trewqh

Brykovian

Post by Brykovian » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:37 pm

Yes ... backups ... plenty. How often isn't as important as how many different people have access to it. It shouldn't be a burden -- just something that is done now and then -- perhaps once a month or once a quarter -- by more than 1 person.

Everyone who has access to the ftp should download and zip up the contents. If the DB has to be separately backed-up ... make sure to do that too.

It's most important when there have been important/extensive coding changes. In-Game and Forum data are good to have, but we could more easily deal with losing some of that than losing the ability to play in general.

That's my take on it anyway.

-Bryk
Matt Worden Games ... Gem Raider, DareBase, Castle Danger, Keeps & Moats Chess

Brykovian

Post by Brykovian » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:38 pm

trewqh wrote:Just realised something. We completely forgot about GM Al.
Nope. Never. As long as the game continues to be played, then Al is here (even if he isn't).

Now, he may have forgotten about us ... ;)

-Bryk

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:39 pm

All this talk about Korexus's demise has me wondering...where is he?

I hope nothing has happened to him. :aeh:

I just had a worrying thought...what if his J O B is starting to take time away from his WOK time. *shudders*

Best not think about that too much...
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Brykovian

Post by Brykovian » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:53 pm

Saladin wrote:I just had a worrying thought...what if his J O B is starting to take time away from his WOK time. *shudders*
I believe it may be more likely his G I R L taking up his time. ;)

-Bryk

Vortan
Commander
Commander

Post by Vortan » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:02 pm

:shock: :oops:

Surely not :!: :roll:

That sort of thing shouldn't be allowed :!:

:idea: I know - give her an ultimatum - PLAY WOK with me or GO :!:

:shock: What do you mean that wouldn't work - she would leave :?: :?:

Well ask yourself - Is she really worth it then - :lol: says the married man with a fellow player for a wife :twisted: :lol:
Now WHY did it do THAT!

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:48 pm

Ugh...another four letter word. Don't fall for it Korexus! Sure her nap offer might look good on first glance, but before you know it she'll be wanting an alliance!
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

korexus

Post by korexus » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:17 pm

Still here, but my work laptop doesn't store cookies, which makes viewing the forums a royal pain.

The aforementioned woman did also move in last week, so my idle-batchelor time has been significatly reduced...

Files are not actually updated very reqularly on this site (only when I update some code in the Lobby really) and that is backed up both on my home and work laptop, the issue is more the database. That is updated everytime you post, enter orders, set up a game, even log in! A year out of date would be very similar to fresh start imho - think of how many posts have been made in the last year...

The reason I was against buying a memory stick was less to do with me thinking we don't need a backup (I agree, the more backups all round the world the better) and more to do with the fact that I lose the freaking things all the time! *Me* having a memory stick with the database backed up on it adds no extra safety net whatsoever, especially as you all think I'm on my last legs anyway! However, if trewqh, Sal or someone else with admin rights wants to take a copy every now and then, they're welcome to!

Our ISP does do daily backups, as someone suggested.

If I did pop my clogs, I think you'd have enough people to sav WoK. Gaz and trewqh have sufficient php knowledge to maintain the engine, Han and Bryk are good at game design and you can always call Mullog back if you run into serious problems. Sure, it may take 5 people to replace me, but you could do it if you had to. :P

Think that's everything. Oh yes, Sal: It may look like you have the same admin rights as me, but I suspect you don't...

Chris.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Vortan
Commander
Commander

Post by Vortan » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:26 pm

:shock:

So then, this woman, has she a name? More importantly, is she a WOK player yet and if not then WHY :?:

Surely, you of all people should be at the forefront of recruiting new players and if the only way you can do that is getting them to move in with you - have a hareem - we need some new players :lol:
Now WHY did it do THAT!

korexus

Post by korexus » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:30 pm

Vortan wrote:[...]is she a WOK player yet and if not then WHY :?:
[...]- have a hareem - we need some new players
I don't know, every time she looks at these boards, she gets a bad impression, for some bizarre reason... :P

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:34 pm

Is copying the database a matter of downloading one particular folder through ftp?
trewqh

korexus

Post by korexus » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:39 pm

No, you use the backup database option in the admin panel. Be ready to download a 150 Mb file over http.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:06 pm

We don't need you for the programming Chris...we need you keep us all in check and make sure the community stays strong. No replacement for that position i'm afraid.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:56 pm

korexus wrote:No, you use the backup database option in the admin panel. Be ready to download a 150 Mb file over http.
If the nuke db (the game's db?) and the phpbb db (the forum?) is enough then it's done!
trewqh