Revisiting In-Game Player Scores in Standard WOK

All about the online version of classic WOK games.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:49 am

And here is where I made my first mistake...
korexus wrote: Now that we've defined how strong LEV should be, we need to look at how power DEF is. It only affects the same thing as LEV, so we can make a direct comparison.

ARM * { (2 * LEV - 1) + (2 * DEF - 1) / 5}
This reduces the power of armies in provinces whose DEF is below 0.5 It's not a huge mistake, but lots of things follow on from it and there's no point having a massively complicated formula unless it's accurate...

:oops:
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:54 am

The value of these missiles will, in part, depend on the LEV of an opponent's armies as well as the number of armies, amount of DEF and number of TEC points
Erm, i don't get this part. Is this the case right now that wether or not a missiles hits depends on lev and such?
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:59 am

Chris you really lost me with all the big formula's. I completely trust you to have come up with the perfect formula's but to us non math geniusses could you just give some examples on how many points a pop, wok, arm, spies, etc. are now actually worth?
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:37 am

Saladin wrote:
The value of these missiles will, in part, depend on the LEV of an opponent's armies as well as the number of armies, amount of DEF and number of TEC points
Erm, i don't get this part. Is this the case right now that wether or not a missiles hits depends on lev and such?
To be honest with you, I just got a bit carried away last night. You know how the fun never stops once the maths starts :!:

I was trying to make everything relative to everything else, so that the scores could be calculated to show the absolute strength of each player. The problem I ran against was that missiles vary in strength depending on what your opponent has. (A few high level armies, missiles are great, a lot of low level armies, not so good.) Instead of recognising that this was logically a bad way of going about things, I took it as a mathematical challenge to solve. Which is why the formulae got so horrible.

I didn't help myself by making a false assumption, round about step two.

Too be honest, I'd rather this whole episode were left behind, I got some numbers out of it which will be useful for the new formula, but I got them the hard way. Now people should go and post on the other thread about what sort of formula we want anyway... http://www.kaomaris.com/phpNuke/modules ... pic&t=1522

I really need to watch my caffeine levels... :oops:

Chris.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability