Fall of the Raj

All about the online version of classic WOK games.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus

Jen
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Jen » Sun May 20, 2007 8:37 pm

Saladin wrote:
trewqh wrote:I think getting more than two clans to really become active and stay that way will be the hard part.

The Vulkings are more or less present, but I unfortunately can't take responsibility and say that we are able to perform the teaching/mentoring function of a clan.
To give this thhread a more positive swing again...

So we now have:

- The Scholars (Korexus, Brykovian, Egbert, Saladin)
- The Vulkings (Trewqh, Hannibal, Validon)
- Valn Ohtar (Aussie Gaz, Tbert)
- Brotherhood of Vayuna (Underdog)
- Balance of Time (Yarosund)
- Thuggee (Lardmaster)
- Circle of Nine (Calidus)?

And about 12-14 active mercenaries. (Sorry if i forgot somebody)

Now if we can get about 8 of those mercenaries in to clans we could re-instate the whole clan structure again.

It would be good if the different clans could let us know if they are currently looking for new players to join them so that our new players know which clans they can approach.
Well, I wouldn't mind starting a new clan, with the other 2 Barnes's as members to start off with. On the other hand. If all these clans already exist, there probably won't be much need for a new clan. So I'll leave it open for now :)

I do like the whole clan wars idea though.
It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Sun May 20, 2007 8:51 pm

Personally i would have a preference for reviving an old clan instead of starting a completely new clan. This is mostly because i'd hate to see some of the old clans that are so much a part of Kaomarian history be lost to the World of Kaomaris.

For instance the Brotherhood and CoN have always been great clans and it would be fantastic if they could achieve that level again.

I also think it would be good if some of the vet mercenaries were to join a clan again. I mean Donut i believe has always been BoV and Calidus simply IS CoN. And Raw and Smashface would be awesome players to have fighting beside you as a new player as so much can be learned from them.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Tigress
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Tigress » Sun May 20, 2007 8:59 pm

Vortan and I have put this discussion aside, and I hope the Wok communtiy can look at Vortan and me without remembering this game. I never received any return mail from Vortan. So maybe I didn't get it, or maybe it got lost somewhere. Either way, there's no point in arguing about it. I will not hold a grudge towards Vortan over this, and I can only hope he will do the same. So please let's stop this discussion and move on with the game.

Then...

I really like the idea of there being clans, and having clan wars. But I do have one question. I saw Calidus's remark about clan wars being 5 versus 5. Can it also be 2vs2 or something in between? Because you would need at least 5 players in each clan to even start a clan war, thus having only two or three clans.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Sun May 20, 2007 9:10 pm

Well in the old days we had bigger clans (5-10 players each) so a 5 vs 5 was no problem. But i can imagine that we could adjust the numbers so a 3 vs 3 or 4 vs 4 would be no problem. It's not a rule that's written in stone.

Anyway it's great that you guys talked it out. Misunderstandings like this happen all the time and to the best of us (sorry again Aussie!). So i always feel it's best to forgive and forget and then stomp all over the other player in a fair fight in a new game. :twisted:
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

korexus

Post by korexus » Sun May 20, 2007 9:22 pm

You see, Vortan? You're not allowed to leave!

Good to hear that you're ok too, Tigress. Just a thought, have you checked your junk mail folder? - I know I've sometimes missed important emails that way...

I agree with Sal about the old clans. There is more of a feeling of continuity that way, but also if three new players set up a clan on their own, they don't get the beneift of more experienced players helping them out.

We could set up a clan war with any number of players with the WoK-On system. We could even add robot players to fill gaps, which could be fun...

Finally, clan wars are great. :D

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Yondallus
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Yondallus » Sun May 20, 2007 10:04 pm

I agree with korexus. I don't think 3 new players making a new clan would be a good thing to do. Especially if two of those 3 are women ;)

Calidus
Commander
Commander

Post by Calidus » Sun May 20, 2007 11:28 pm

Hannibabble and vortan, do I have to sit between you both?????

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Mon May 21, 2007 12:03 pm

Calidus wrote:Hannibabble and vortan, do I have to sit between you both?????
No need. I apologise to Vortan. I felt sorry for this Tigress getting public heat on the second turn of her first game, and then I got carried away.

I was at fault. Sorry, Vortan.

Hannibal
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

Vortan
Commander
Commander

Post by Vortan » Mon May 21, 2007 2:55 pm

Hannibal,

Accepted. Lets change the subject though cos this is sooooo boring!

Vortan.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thought for the day - If at first you dont succeed ... give up :cheers:

Calidus
Commander
Commander

Post by Calidus » Mon May 21, 2007 5:15 pm

Hey, this was the first good flamer in a LOOOONG time. You guys (and Gals) did WOK proud!!! :stooges:

Dragonette
Commander
Commander

Post by Dragonette » Tue May 22, 2007 6:26 pm

Saladin wrote:
trewqh wrote:I think getting more than two clans to really become active and stay that way will be the hard part.

The Vulkings are more or less present, but I unfortunately can't take responsibility and say that we are able to perform the teaching/mentoring function of a clan.
To give this thhread a more positive swing again...

So we now have:

- The Scholars (Korexus, Brykovian, Egbert, Saladin)
- The Vulkings (Trewqh, Hannibal, Validon)
- Valn Ohtar (Aussie Gaz, Tbert)
- Brotherhood of Vayuna (Underdog)
- Balance of Time (Yarosund)
- Thuggee (Lardmaster)
- Circle of Nine (Calidus)?

And about 12-14 active mercenaries. (Sorry if i forgot somebody)

Now if we can get about 8 of those mercenaries in to clans we could re-instate the whole clan structure again.

It would be good if the different clans could let us know if they are currently looking for new players to join them so that our new players know which clans they can approach.
Yeh but if you think some members have left so that narrow's people down even more so would it honestly be a good idea to resurecct another when you will struggle to get a good amount of people balanced over all clans taht currently exist?

Just a question

Dragonette

Vortan
Commander
Commander

Post by Vortan » Tue May 22, 2007 7:25 pm

Dragonette

We will have to go back to face-to-face talking ...

But I think Saladins list is the ACTIVEish clan members.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Tue May 22, 2007 9:32 pm

I just love games with a lot of new and inspired players. Lots of action right from the start and three rips after only three rounds. Makes for an exciting game guys and gals!

TBert
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TBert » Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 am

Aww Calidus, I'm not a bully. I think I'm suffering from a deranged form of beginner's luck, since I'm not really a beginner, but haven't played in like two years...

Yes, diplomatic misunderstandings do happen. I was quite horrified when I realized that I didn't receive Calidus's email accepting my NAP offer, and that was after I bombed his army into oblivion. The main thing is to read carefully the terms and conditions of NAP's, live by them (since you won't last long as a purposeful NAP breaker), and make sure there aren't any miscommunications (email again if you didn't receive a reply, check your spam folder, etc.).

You also need to keep all the emails you exchange during a game, because I almost went to war with Vortan 3 turns early in a game because he forgot that I had set borders, and I didn't know he had forgotten. Several heated exchanges later, it was figured out.

As for reviving the clans... it does seem like there's way too many mercenaries around. But the WOK Mailing list hasn't gotten any use since it's creation, so maybe that can be used as an alternative for new players to ask for advice and info.
pro libertate eos occubuisse - "they died for liberty"

Clan Head - Valn Ohtar

SGT - US Army

23-year-old father of 3 - really needs a beer

Hryllantre
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Hryllantre » Fri May 25, 2007 10:26 am

Post editted as it sounded a bit too nice for my liking
Last edited by Hryllantre on Fri May 25, 2007 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri May 25, 2007 11:04 am

Lobby->Clans->BoV->Apply

:)
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Lardmaster
Commander
Commander

Post by Lardmaster » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:45 pm

The next turn for this game has been extended by 24 hrs. I could tell you all why but I'd have to kill you.
Question everything.

Hryllantre
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Hryllantre » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:53 pm

:roll: !!!
Last edited by Hryllantre on Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tigress
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Tigress » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:54 pm

Since you're killing me in our duel game anyway, I think I deserve to know.

Lardmaster
Commander
Commander

Post by Lardmaster » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:19 pm

lol. Just to give two combtants a chance to resolve their issues quietly away from the boards, which they have done I am pleased to say.
Question everything.