Crazy Idea

Discuss your weirdest WOK game ideas and plans here.

Moderators: trewqh, korexus

korexus

Crazy Idea

Post by korexus » Sun May 21, 2006 9:19 am

So I was trawling through the source code, looking for the source of the OOP bug (not found it yet) and I had a crazy idea.

Now that I've set the system up so that Duel games run independently of standard wok games, it would be possible to make other tweaks to the rules for X-Games. This would allow for more interesting X-Games, without too much work on the GM's part.

The idea I had in mind was to remove the check that you own the target province during the movement phase. This would allow players to move armies, missiles, etc between neighbouring players. This could either be played as a team game, or be used as a bargaining method within the standard WoK setup.

Thoughts?

Chris.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Mullog
Veteran
Veteran
Location: Aalesund, Norway (freezing!). Member of the Vulkings

Post by Mullog » Sun May 21, 2006 9:29 am

You mean you could give away armies or missiles or whatever to your neighbours? It could add some interesting strategies where a player give all his pop and wok to his clan mate instead of having his attacker take them. But I would hate to move my 99 level 9 armies into a neutral province...

It would be interesting to try it out and see how it works.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
- Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Sun May 21, 2006 10:01 am

That would allow the letting-through-attack technique gain a much deeper level :)

I like it. I'd gladly try it out!
trewqh
the gleefully aggressive Vulking

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Post by Egbert » Mon May 22, 2006 12:13 pm

Wow. How about this for a NAP: You can have provinces X, Y, and Z, but you need to supply me with 20 armies immediately, and 10 workers per turn. Hmmm.
"Fairy tales can come true,
They can happen to you,
If you're young at heart."

Mullog
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mullog » Tue May 23, 2006 10:19 am

trewqh wrote:That would allow the letting-through-attack technique gain a much deeper level :)
I don't think that would work actually, for if you move your armies into the other players province you will lose them. I think. But you could let another player take the province and then move a bunch of armies in there to help the other player... Hmm. This could be interesting. :)

korexus

Post by korexus » Tue May 23, 2006 6:07 pm

If you move armies (or anything else) into a province you do not own then you would lose control of them. However, I think trewqh's suggestion may have been along the lines of 'here, you can have these armies if you use them to attack this player...' which has certain evil applications. I like Egbert's tribute idea too, although it may work better with missiles or spies as they're easier to produce...

The other side of the game though, would be that you'd have to be very careful when fighting. If you want to move your missiles up to the front line and you mis-judge how far your armies will get, you could end up giving all your stuff to your opponent... - Equally, you could try to cut off your opponents supply lines in order to claim his stuff. Would this make the game too complex/random or would it work as an extra level of strategy?

korexus.

Mullog
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mullog » Tue May 23, 2006 6:49 pm

korexus wrote:The other side of the game though, would be that you'd have to be very careful when fighting. If you want to move your missiles up to the front line and you mis-judge how far your armies will get, you could end up giving all your stuff to your opponent...
Good point. I think most players would find this very confusing and it would be very hard to plan your strategy properly. One failed attack could cause you to give away all your armies and missiles...

But still. It would be fun to try it out.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Thu May 24, 2007 2:41 pm

Time to drag up a year old thread. :D

Has this idea been tried yet? How about adding an alliance/nap setting kind of like we have in advanced wok. So you could set another player as you 'ally' and these movement orders would only work when you moved your stuff in to a province that belongs to an 'ally'.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

TheDragon
Recruit
Recruit

Post by TheDragon » Thu May 24, 2007 6:55 pm

Nooooooo! I haven't mastered an ordinary game yet and this sounds suicidal to me. What if I get things wrong?? :?: :?: :?: :?: :!:

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Thu May 24, 2007 7:03 pm

No worries TheDragon, Korexus makes all the 'extra' options in the game engine configurable. So i would think that for normal games this would not apply. But it would be an extra option that could be used for special X-games. That is IF our great programmer Korexus thinks it's good enough to add to the engine of course. :crazy3:

PS: Hmm...we really need an ass kissing smilie...this one doesn't quite capture the feeling...though who knows Korexus might like the idea. :roll:
Last edited by Saladin on Fri May 25, 2007 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu May 24, 2007 8:25 pm

Maybe in WoK V. Gaz's advanced WoK scripts are coming along nicely and the NAP levels already exist, giving us scope for this. To implement it into Standard WoK would mean addingan extra mechanic, which would be a pain as it's only an X-game idea...

Chris.

Lardmaster
Commander
Commander

Post by Lardmaster » Thu May 24, 2007 10:14 pm

I got sooo confused then. I was like "yay" Egbert is back woohoo!!!! Then I realised it was but a dream. :?
Question everything.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Fri May 25, 2007 7:22 am

Egbert isn't gone. He's just sitting quitely in Count Henri's old room in the Scholar fortress writing down the Kaomarian history whilest enjoying a good glass of wine.

Yeah sadly we had to move him in to Count Henri's old room after what happened to Eg's own room in Bryk's 'interior decorating' class. Such a shame...such a shame.