Pre-signup for MOJAVE (beta#5)

News, discussions and gossip around WOK SPECIES.

Moderators: trewqh, korexus

korexus

Post by korexus » Sat May 29, 2004 12:22 pm

You're getting the idea, Hamster. But unfortunately you can't do the same thing twice in WoK, because that would just be silly. (This is what's known as a code 20736.)

Blinky, the most recent version of a player manual can be found at http://www.kaomaris.com/WOKSP_Playermanual_V080.doc there have been a few changes to the details since that was written, but it will give you a good idea of how the game works.

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Blinky
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Blinky » Sat May 29, 2004 1:26 pm

thanks mate! maybe I actually understand something now
I'm Blinky and this is my real fur!

(I apologise if this post was offensive, I just couldn't resist...)

Blinky
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Blinky » Sat May 29, 2004 2:08 pm

Did the incompatible food got deleted or does it only appear when you get a new one?

Think I got it all now! Can't wait to play

Hamster
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Hamster » Sat May 29, 2004 7:56 pm

Next turn: In about -18097631 minutes

The game suposed to start 34 years ago. :D
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary numbers and those who don't.

Blinky
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Blinky » Sun May 30, 2004 8:30 am

I better delete my account then, I wasn't born when the game starts!

korexus

Post by korexus » Sun May 30, 2004 8:58 am

We've had it on hold, waiting for you! 8)

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Mon May 31, 2004 4:04 am

Ok... I'll see how feasible it is for someone to not be at the computer for an extended period of time from day to day (16 hour stretches every day). I do have a few questions as I haven't completely followed all of the discussions.

1. Which way is North?
2. Anything that I should know from the last one I played... I think it was Everglades?

Donut
The scars remind us that the past is real.

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Mon May 31, 2004 12:46 pm

Only 7 signups so far - need 14 to 18 to kick the game off.

Expect a 24 hour delay so that the game starts on Tuesday evening. We should have all the new code in and enough signups by then.

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:23 am

9 signups now... cmon clanheads, kick your guildies into the game so we can start it !

Rune has now added a "pause" and a "run turn" button for the GM. :P Good job, viking....

The game will be delayed by another 24 hours until we get the minimum number of required signups.

Validon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Validon » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:56 pm

Back from vacation and #10 to sign up. Everyone must have been waiting until I got back to play so that I could get a spot. :lol:
Thanks guys!!!! I'm in now though so EVERYONE HURRY AND SIGN UP!!!!!!!!! :evil:

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:53 pm

Thought the start was going to be delayed 24 hours... Why did it run? What's going to happen now?

Donut

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:17 am

The game is currently paused and will be reset for the new start.

With 11 signups we are hopfully getting there soon.... seems many ppl are currently away or busy this week, but we should be able to kickstart this soon.

Gives us at least a bit time to implement new stuff.

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:05 pm

Fair enough... just give me enough time to insert some orders :wink:

Donut

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:09 am

The game is set to start tomorrow Saturday around 20:00 CET, no matter how many signups we have by then. The game has been reset for now.

I will come up with some manual update asap, but right now RL keeps me busy.

Good luck everyone !

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:12 pm

Manual and page updates are online now.

Also testing a new logo I made.... :roll: Should look nice on shirts and such things - free to use under http://www.kaomaris.com/logo1.gif (other formats available on request) - more logos coming, give me feedback !

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:48 pm

gm_al wrote:more logos coming, give me feedback !
I preferred the old one, sorry! :?

korexus.

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:54 pm

Yea... The white really stands out a lot.

Donut

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:11 pm

I have a complaint... Hopefully constructive, but who knows.

Lets say I have 152 specimen, making my saturation requirement 76. I have 75 (or anything under 76 but not zero). My species consumes all available food, but also losses specimen and 1 fertility point. I'm wondering if it would be possible to have it so that if you don't have enough to completely fulfill your species' saturation requirement that you lose the specimen and the fertility but keep your food... or have it the other way around with minimal speciman loss or fertility loss.

I mainly mention this because if I miss feeding my specimen by 1 or 2 points, it's frustrating that I lose the same amount as if I had nothing in stock. I'd rather not lose that food at all and just take the hit.

Another thought... Could the spy report give not only the color of the plant, but the size too. I know that there is a constant coordination between the two, but I am incompitant... It would also be helpful to newer players.

This one may not be so constructive but I'm not very intelligent on how to fix it. I find the way to enter orders annoying. I think there is too much page switching. I also think it is annoying to have to scroll down to the middle of the page to enter an order. Maybe if it was at the very bottom it wouldn't be so bad to know you could scroll all of the way to the bottom.

Like I said, I can't really give insight in how to fix it because it's more of a web page design where all I know is basic HTML. I think that it should be looked at.

Again, just trying to be constructive. :wink:

Donut

korexus

Post by korexus » Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:29 pm

Donut wrote:I have a complaint... Hopefully constructive, but who knows.

Lets say I have 152 specimen, making my saturation requirement 76. I have 75 (or anything under 76 but not zero). My species consumes all available food, but also losses specimen and 1 fertility point. I'm wondering if it would be possible to have it so that if you don't have enough to completely fulfill your species' saturation requirement that you lose the specimen and the fertility but keep your food... or have it the other way around with minimal speciman loss or fertility loss.

I mainly mention this because if I miss feeding my specimen by 1 or 2 points, it's frustrating that I lose the same amount as if I had nothing in stock. I'd rather not lose that food at all and just take the hit.
This is something that came up in planning. Ideally, the losses would be scaled according to how much feeding you made. (When I say ideally, I mean that's how I'd like it...) Unfortunately, the penalties are normally too small for this to work. One viable alternative would be that you lose fertility if you don't have enough food, but the specimen only die if you're completely out, I think that would be workable and within the spirit of what's going on. Keeping the food isn't really an option. If your specimen are hungry then they'll eat...
Another thought... Could the spy report give not only the color of the plant, but the size too. I know that there is a constant coordination between the two, but I am incompitant... It would also be helpful to newer players.
We're considering letting spying give hints on size of creatures. There's no reason at that point why it couldn't do so for plants too. Although hopefully, people will pick that up pretty quickly. (And I see no reason why that information shouldn't be in the player manual anyway...)
This one may not be so constructive but I'm not very intelligent on how to fix it. I find the way to enter orders annoying. I think there is too much page switching.
The page switching is annoying, but necessary. We could make the order confirmation a pop-up instead (although that may cause isssues with pop-up stoppers) but even then the game page would have to be refreshed to show the new orders in the queue so we don't really save anything. Maybe the redirect could take less than 5 seconds as it doesn't take long to read that the order was succesful or not...

I also think it is annoying to have to scroll down to the middle of the page to enter an order. Maybe if it was at the very bottom it wouldn't be so bad to know you could scroll all of the way to the bottom.
Yeah, the page is getting a bit crowded. But the question is, if we don't have things set up as they are, how do we set them up? The map has to go at the top and the species status logically goes beneath that. It may be best, as you suggest, to have the order entry right at the bottom (with the order queue directly above?) But that still leaves the message sending and behaviour/defaults somewhere tricky. I'm starting to think that the messenger should be in a seperate window, but then we run into the popup issue again I guess... Swapping the elements around isn't hard though. If you're bored copy the source and shift sections with copy/paste until you have something which you think looks nice. Then let us know! :) (Chris cunningly defers what was probably meant to be his job...)

Keep the comments coming!

korexus.

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:28 pm

OK I have already talked to Korexus on MSN about this but thought I would put it here for kicks.

I personally think that players dying off should be included in the important events in the log. It took me about 20 minutes to figure out who has died in the current game. I had to look VERY closely to find all 4 of them while scanning my event log. I kept missing 1 in all the clutter. Maybe they should be put in bold????
There's no need to fear...........
Underdog is here