KAHUNA tactics discussion

News, discussions and gossip around WOK SPECIES.

Moderators: trewqh, korexus

gm_al
Creator
Creator

KAHUNA tactics discussion

Post by gm_al » Mon May 17, 2004 1:14 pm

Plz use this thread to discuss all possible ways to win (or make someone lose) the game.
Last edited by gm_al on Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hamster
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Hamster » Thu May 20, 2004 2:44 pm

This post is not just about tactics by the current game rules - its more about the Banked Turns and orders that take more than 1 turn.

If we start talking tactics - then with the opportunuty to bank turns you have to admit that the best tactics is the following:
- if you have full banked turns: use them for the order
- otherwise: first collect n-1 turns than use the order that takes n turns

Why so? You'll never loose any turn this way. If you issue order to move on the water when no swim skill, or you want to cancel the buy instinct - you loose the turns before the last/interrupted one if not using banked turns. If you use banked ones - always the n-1 turns will stay banked and you can loose 1 if order fail and 0 if order canceled. So, I'll always use the mentioned scenario from now on (and it's OK for everyone if you're able to log in every few hours - but you have to do it anyways).

This takes us to the next question: is there any point of issuing orders without banked turns? Almost 100% sure I can bet its - not.

Any why should they be able in the game if no point? That's the finall question that I wanted to make you think about! (not to mention of preventing Al getting desperate because nobody uses this thread:)

Regards,
Hamster
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary numbers and those who don't.

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu May 20, 2004 2:58 pm

Here are two reasons not to use banked turns for every order:

1) It takes up far more space in the order queue.
-Banking 4 turns then buying instinct with banked turns takes 5 slots as opposed to 1 if you don't use banked turns. I like to fill my order queue as far ahead as possible, incase I accidentally get drunk and can't send new orders :wink:

2) It is useful to keep banked turns.
-That's right. If you use banked turns to complete every order then pretty soon you have none left. Then if you need to do something in a hurry (for example, change colour or flee because someone is attacking you) then it takes a long time to do it. If you've excercised a bit of patience on previous orders then you can escape or adapt in one turn potentially saving yourself a lot of specimen.

Recently I used all my banked turns moving around, looking for food. If I hadn't had them then I would have starved a lot more while looking. Now I'm working on building them up again and they will stay until I need them for something important.

Discuss.

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Hamster
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Hamster » Thu May 20, 2004 3:52 pm

You just prooved my theory. I never told using this tactics with 0 turns on stock. I told never use long oders without banked turns.

But even if you have 0 or few banked - this tactics doesn't make you have less on stock - you can only have more because no loss. After 4 turns banked - buy fertility once. And you have the same amount of banked turns you had before.

You're only right in the part of intensivelly use of order queue - which I currently use aprox 50% max. But, if you make it full and log in rarely - you risk of being extinct as someones food (which you can prevent only with often online and a big numberous population combined with luck).

And if you make Bank turn the primary, and the Buy skill secondary order - it's all fitted even more.

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu May 20, 2004 6:57 pm

Not quite. I like having maximum banked turns and so can't buy extra turns before an action. Also I then run very little risk of being eaten whilst away as I can run away/change colours the maximum amount of times before running out of banked turns. Making me not very attractive as a food source.
IMHO the 25 turn advantage you can get by squandering your banked turns early on doesn't compare at all to having security later. You, of course, are allowed to disagree. Different people considering different tactics as "optimum" makes the game more interesting. :D

korexus.

Hamster
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Hamster » Fri May 21, 2004 7:06 am

Hamster wrote:... you have to admit that the best tactics is the following:
- if you have full banked turns: use them for the order
- otherwise: first collect n-1 turns than use the order that takes n turns
You see the 1st case?
- If you have full banked turns and then make an order with banked tuens and then collect them back - you play like I said.
- If you play the same order without banked turns - you will loose turns if you have to change or the order fails. And after it happens to you - you will play like the 1st option.

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri May 21, 2004 10:12 am

No, I let the order run without banked turns to save space in the order queue and to have maximum banked turns on hand at all times.

I avoid 'wasting' turns by not submitting orders which are going to fail! :P (Only moving one square at a time, unless I know where I'm going, not canceling orders, etc) The only time that I lose any turns is if someone attacks me and my behaviour kicks in. But at that point I am still happy because I have full banked turns to escape or outmanouvre him...