EVERGLADES JUST BANTER

News, discussions and gossip around WOK SPECIES.

Moderators: trewqh, korexus

Strider
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Strider » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:26 pm

Han, those turtles will haunt your dreams....

:twisted:
Never laugh at live dragons...

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:41 am

Yes, I was tossing and turning all night. Thought it must be something I ate........

Still getting bits of shell out of my proto-teeth.

Sorry to have taken you out, but I wanted to experiment and have some action. If it's any consolation, I experimented with action again and am now virtually dead. I don't mind, it's only Beta and they may pull the plug soon. Hope YOU didn't mind. :wink:
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

Lowebb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lowebb » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:04 am

I be interested in hearing frm all those who are now extinct, Massie, QP nemesis as so on, to see what went wrong for them, did they just stop playing or what????

Are we pulling the plug again!!!!!! I say let this one run on, a lot of ppl have got some good mutations and it would be a shame to have to start all over again. And if we do start all over again please let it no be the weekend, I feel another bender coming on

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:26 am

There is no need to restart...things are going well. We should be able to play this till the end. :D
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:46 am

No need for a restart.

Also Rune is on holidays now for two weeks, so lets just keep collecting tidbits. We might have Hamster and Chris doing a few quickfixes, but everything seems to be running just fine right now.

Once this is over and Rune is back we can make a few needed and suggested changes (bigger ones) and run one more beta, hopefully the last before we get to the "real thing" :twisted:

Lowebb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lowebb » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:25 am

wo-hoo, in the top 10 for the first time, my parrot rocks!! Now only if they could say something, dangnabbit stupid birds

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Post by Egbert » Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:51 pm

Undertaker wrote:
Egbert wrote::shock:

Whew! Lucky I had the adapt order on! I look at my computer and notice that I am now a yellow ant, not black. Then I see why. The yellow monkey known as Hannibal was trying to eat me! I automatically changed to his color. Cool. This didn't happen in the last game, though. What determines if or when I change color automatically? Anyone?

When you use ADAPT, does it still use your queued orders? I'm guessing no, otherwise what is CONTINUE ORDERS for?
I didn't have any queued orders in (they all ran during the night when I was asleep). I don't recall whether banking turns made me adapt quicker, or if Hannibal changed color again, that I would also (automatically).

This brings up a problem that I think we are now seeing in the game. Unless a player who is a herbivore is going to sit in front of his/her computer 24 hours per day, eventually the herbivore is going to get eaten while the player is sleeping (or otherwise away from the computer). So, what fun is playing, if you know you have no chance of winning at this point (if you're a herbivore)? There is nothing stopping an omnivore or carnivore from eating you while you are away from the computer.

So, how about a suggestion. Similar to the "hibernation" order/skill which would allow a player to "hide" for a long time, but not accumulate turns or skill points, how about a "sleep" order? It allows a player to curl up in a nice safe place for several hours where he cannot be detected. This would allow herbivores to survive in the mid and end game.
"Fairy tales can come true,
They can happen to you,
If you're young at heart."

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:07 pm

We would have to set a hefty minimum number of turns on that, otherwise it would be impossible to hunt herbivores at all...

As players are starting to find out though. Hunting a species to death as an Omnivore is not very efficient. If a player sets his reaction to flee then an Omnivore moving into the same square probably won't bother chasing it. A carnivore might, but carnivores have issues of their own to deal with...

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Lowebb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lowebb » Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:40 pm

I see the game in a different way, in order to win the game I believe the natural progression to become a omnivor/carnivor, and its about knowing when is the right time to do that, there is no point in becoming an carnivor before you have lots of legs as chasing a 3 legged herbivor would be impossible. There should be a hide skill or something but it should only be allowed to be used X no. of turns in succession or something like that anyway

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:01 pm

Well Hannibal, I did warn you not to mess with my wolves. It's not my fault I ate most of your species; it was a simply a reaction. And now Kor moved into my square and is trying to eat my plants; looks like it's Jaguar for dinner tonight! <burp> :devilish:
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:21 pm

I disagree Ben. I think that staying a herbivore for the whole game should be a viable option as well.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

Lowebb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lowebb » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:59 pm

herbivor for 4000 turns======boring as hell. The game is only getting exciting now after everyone has a few new skills and mutations

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:08 pm

Actually, playing a succesful Herbivore would be possible. But it would be by far the most difficult strategy. If you were going to win, you'd have to get lots of mutations so that you could move around and get plants. - Otherwise you'd deplete the area around you too much. Of course, going for mutations means you'll probably get Body Size at some point, then the temptation to go Omnivore rears it's head.

So yes, Herbivore winning, possible. Not really boring as it's probably about as far from sleeping as you can imagine. Sorry, Sal!! :P

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:56 am

Dameon wrote:Well Hannibal, I did warn you not to mess with my wolves. It's not my fault I ate most of your species; it was a simply a reaction
Yeah but it was probably the most fun you had in 800 turns. Another 1600 turns without action and you can probably be the winner!!! Different approaches. You and 50 like you.
Me and a million like me.......Ah, well.

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:30 am

I think you're wrong Hannibal. Games like Sim City also do not revolve around fighting but are about building up something and being proud of what you've built. Also all those tamagochi (sp?) games where you just have to take care of your pet and nothing interesting ever happens are played by millions. So why should this be any different? There are people with a short attention span and a brain wired for destruction like yourself and there are people who actually like to build something and be proud of what they've accomplished. The good thing is that the game will appeal to both sorts of players.

Lowebb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lowebb » Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:45 pm

You canr compare sim city and this. Sim city is far more dynamic. And it seems to me there are too many plants about to make succeeding as a herbivor, I have hunted in 2 squares this entire game and both have 5000 plants currently, and I am 6th in the hi score and only going to get higher because I am as strong as I have ever been in this game

Hannibal
Commander
Commander

Post by Hannibal » Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:52 pm

Saladin wrote:I think you're wrong Hannibal. Games like Sim City also do not revolve around fighting but are about building up something and being proud of what you've built. Also all those tamagochi (sp?) games where you just have to take care of your pet and nothing interesting ever happens are played by millions. So why should this be any different? There are people with a short attention span and a brain wired for destruction like yourself and there are people who actually like to build something and be proud of what they've accomplished. The good thing is that the game will appeal to both sorts of players.
Good point, Saladin. You may well be right. Hope so.

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:39 pm

Ben, you're only still successful bcause an aggressive omni hasn't come visited you yet. I was going to actually go carnivore so I could ONLY eat other species, but the way it currently works even carnivores don't get enough saturation from eating other species, and there really is no bonus to become a carnivore other than that increased saturation. I am going to stick with being an omnivore, but to help keep things interesting, I am going to start aggressively hunting other species- we'll see how it works out!

Hannibal you do have good points, and while I see Species as an excellent addition to the online Kaomris world, it will be interesting to see if it adapts to mobiles. I will be honest in that I don't use my cell often, and when I do I only use it to actually call friends and relatives; so I do not really understand the mobile gamer mindset. I'm not sure exactly what would be successful with them, but I think this has a good shot.
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:14 am

<cleans his teeth with Xarfei's Jaguar bones>

Well, those cats sure led me on a merry chase, but I needed the exercise anyway. Next!

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:51 am

Whoops, I appear to have stepped on some ants. :twisted: