Latest changes and a look at next beta

News, discussions and gossip around WOK SPECIES.

Moderators: trewqh, korexus

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Post by Egbert » Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:57 pm

Well, Al instituted the 10 minute turns, which is better. However, perhaps I am missing something here. It appears that you can't kill or do anything except eat plants and move around, until you become an Omnivore. That will take 150 turns at a minimum (become body size 2 and then acquire Omnivore) if you do nothing but accumulate skill points. But, you likely will do other things, such as keeping up instinct, eating plants, and moving. So, we are probably talking about 200 turns before anything exciting happens. At 10 minutes per turn, that would be over 33 hours of nothing. At 15 minutes per turn (which is where Al wants to put it probably), it will take 50 hours. That does not sound like the type of game that will attract players. Am I not seeing something here?
"Fairy tales can come true,
They can happen to you,
If you're young at heart."

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:11 pm

Are those words coming from the man who played over 4 months in the champs and never lost his patience ? Hard to believe...

So what ? It will take 2 days before the omnivores start roaming around - that aint bad. Gives you some time to prepare in one sense or the other.

WOK SP is not supposed to be over in 2-3 days, you know....

I agree though that 10-minute turns seem more lively. Also OUTBACK is already much more balanced.

And Im sure you will see some 5-minute WOK SP speedgame one day. :P

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:08 pm

I agree with Al here. It seems that most people are coming into this wanting instant gratification. I like the suspense and I think that we have to cater to those that don't have super-internet connections or those that don't log on nearly as much. I do like the 10 minute turns for Beta but I think that when there are more games to play in, the 15 minutes too would sound reasonable. Keep in mind games should last a month so if it takes a week to become an omnivore, is that completely out of the question. How often in WOK4/5 do we sit around for a quarter of the game preparing for battle?

Donut
The scars remind us that the past is real.

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:27 pm

NEW: You can now change your password! Click the My setttings link.
LOL, This isn't because Mullog forgot his password is it? :P

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:31 pm

I agree with Eg that skills in general cost too much, and you really can't do much excpet eat and hunt for the first few rounds. However, I have noticed a drastic improvement in game speed and play already with 10 minute turns, that much is certain. Things are gradually improving now, but it will be at least a few days into this new beta to see if all the changes that were made are going to be enough.
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Mullog
Veteran
Veteran
Location: Aalesund, Norway (freezing!). Member of the Vulkings

Post by Mullog » Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:37 pm

Donut wrote:
NEW: You can now change your password! Click the My setttings link.
LOL, This isn't because Mullog forgot his password is it? :P
It was needed! :)
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
- Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:06 am

I'm having trouble logging into Kaobase 2 and Outback. Anyone else?

Donut

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:46 am

Yep I cannot lot into Kaobase2 either at the moment, and thus Outback as well.
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:13 am

... but Allister can get in ... :cry: RUNE, help meeeeeeeee...

Donut

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:37 am

My species may well starve to death before I can log in again, but then, that is why we are in beta still eh? :lol:

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:56 am

I never did get an answer on whether or not plants grew last cycle. My didn't...

Donut

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:27 am

I'm in, YEAH!!! Dameon, try to clear your history, cookies and temp files. I cleared them all (Not sure which one actually did it, probably cookies) and I can login now. I think it has to do with changing my password 'cause I did it earlier.

Donut

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:58 am

Thanks Donut, clearing the cookies did it, and yeah, it's pretty clear to me now that the issue was I changed my password so that confused the KaoBase. Of course, I logged in to find my species in a royal mess due to the repeated runnings of turn 96, but hey, at least I got in!

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:30 am

Donut wrote:I never did get an answer on whether or not plants grew last cycle. My didn't...

Donut
Mine did. Remember that plants started at 700, not 1000 this time. Is that what's confusing matters?

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability