°° New skills and skill suggestions

News, discussions and gossip around WOK SPECIES.

Moderators: trewqh, korexus

gm_al
Creator
Creator

°° New skills and skill suggestions

Post by gm_al » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:37 am

Post here about your SKILL ideas for WOK SP. Make sure to state

* Name of Skill
* Effect
* Cost in Turns
* Prerequisits needed (ie. needs BS#2)
* Why its cool

Right now we look mostly for cheap skills that will increase player interaction and species interaction (ie. what 2 'jaguar' species could do together), as well as help in specific situations.

In the pipeline for consideration right now the dev team has new skills like

++ CLAWS
++ ATTRACT
++ FAT BURNER

As usual we wont spoil the fun by saying what we exactly mean with those skills. :twisted: (We want you to try out things after all)

Also the more skills we may introduce the more the cost of mutations will need to go down to keep the balance. Happy suggesting !

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:21 am

Name of Skill
Burrowing
Effect
1. He can't attack or hunt. You could also make it so that he can't do anything except his default order.

2. His defense gets much stronger so it's much harder to kill him.

3. His stealth' increases, which could for instance mean that a player will have to spy a square in order to see if somebody is there who has burrowed himself a little hole in the ground.
Cost in Turns
4-8 turns, depends on terrain type.
1 turn to 'unburrow'.
Prerequisits needed (ie. needs BS#2)
Species with a body size bigger than 2 can't burrow anymore (too big).
Why its cool
It gives 'small' players some protection, especially when they are asleep. Though whilst it has a positive effect on stealth and defense players can't do anything else except bank turns or buy skill points, so they can't be 'burrowed' for ever. So it will mainly be used to hide from others when expected that you will be attacked and when people are not able to give orders to their species for a longer period of time.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:56 am

Guess this isnt really a SKILL to buy, hmmm ? More like another "Buy" option that pops up as long as you have BS < 1.

Its still nice, maybe make it BS < 3.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:08 pm

No, no...it would be a skill to buy. Say for 40-50 skill points. I mean not all creatures can burrow, they have to learn it first. :)
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

Xarfei
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Xarfei » Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:27 pm

How about this one:

*Name:
Hide

*Effect:
Species with this skill no longer appear as "?" to their neighbours. Therefore they can
only be found if someone shares a square with them or successfully spies the terrain that the hidden creature is in.
This skill would not work for anyone of bodysize greater than 2 or a species that is
omnivore/carnivore (instead these could be 10% harder to spy than normally if they have the hide skill (this way the skill doesn't become worthless if you increase your size or become a predator)

*Cost:
~70 turns

*Use:
A counter strategy to predators since a predator is lot less likely to find a species with the hide skill. The body size limit ensures that a herbivore with skill cannot "sleep" forever while hidden.

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:01 pm

Xarfei wrote:How about this one:

*Effect:
Species with this skill no longer appear as "?" to their neighbours. Therefore they can only be found if someone shares a square with them or successfully spies the terrain that the hidden creature is in.

This would also make FLEE far more effective. :)

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:23 pm

Anyone care to come up with something that actually helps the ATTACKER ??

I can already hear ya all whining "its sooo hard to feed my species" and me answering "well you wanted all those protective skills" :roll:

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:30 pm

Well you need other players to help you with the attacking part...i tend to win online Age of Empires games because the other players get bored attacking my defenses after several hours. :P

ThinKing

Post by ThinKing » Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:43 pm

How strange Saladin. I didnt get bored at all while I killed all your grey spiders! :twisted:

Thats right folks....

[glow=violet][shadow=#ffffff]THE SECOND RIP IS MINE!![/shadow][/glow]

ThinKing

Post by ThinKing » Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:45 pm

Oh yes and I should point out that Sal was an omnivore. He killed about 25 of my specimens in losing all of his. :)

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:20 pm

WOW TK!

That's the first time EVER you got to rip me in any game...and mainly because i wasn't there to see it happen. :P

But kudos to you...so what have you won? :P

SmashFace

Re: °° New skills and skill suggestions

Post by SmashFace » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:05 pm

gm_al wrote:Post here about your SKILL ideas for WOK SP. Make sure to state

* Name of Skill
Berserk
gm_al wrote:* Effect
+5 PATT -3 PDEF
gm_al wrote:* Cost in Turns
80 SP
gm_al wrote:* Prerequisits needed (ie. needs BS#2)
omnivore
gm_al wrote:* Why its cool
cus i am cool
God of WOK

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:18 pm

Ok, this may sound like their ideas but I'm the first to mention the shelter idea so it is mine :P

Shelter - I think that each square should have a shelter for each player. When a player moves to that square they can build on it using the "Buy Shelter" option. It would work much like buying skill points and such.

Effect - Shelter has to be destroyed before species can be attacked. I also think that if a player attacks someone with a shelter, a they kill 1-Instinct of the sheltered players specimen (species with low instinct won't "Know" to get back to shelter). When someone attacks a player they automatically go for there shelter.

Cost - 1 point per turn. The point adds a "Hit Point" to the shelter.

Why? - I think that it adds a defense to losing all specimen while sleeping.

Donut
The scars remind us that the past is real.

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Re: °° New skills and skill suggestions

Post by Egbert » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:28 pm

I like those ideas (Berserk, Shelter or Burrow). Here's one:
gm_al wrote:* Name of Skill
Improved Senses
gm_al wrote:* Effect
Can "see" or "hear" up to 3 squares away (i.e. - can see where the "?" are), detect "shelters" or "burrows," etc.
gm_al wrote:* Cost in Turns
Probably about 20-30 skill points (good for Herbivores)
gm_al wrote:* Prerequisits needed (ie. needs BS#2)
none
"Fairy tales can come true,
They can happen to you,
If you're young at heart."

Lowebb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lowebb » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:34 pm

I like Berserk and Improve senses a lot, though I think your improve sense might be a tad strong, At that price I would say just see +2 squares in all directions instead of +1, or perhaps still +1 in all direction but also who is in those squares

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:33 pm

Great idea Eg. I agree it may be cheap but it will take actual game play to find a good value for cost.

Donut
The scars remind us that the past is real.

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:24 pm

Or instead of seeing further in the current directions. How about if you can see terrain and question marks in diagonal neighbours as well?

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

ThinKing

Post by ThinKing » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:07 pm

korexus wrote:Or instead of seeing further in the current directions. How about if you can see terrain and question marks in diagonal neighbours as well?

korexus.

Thanks for forwarding my suggestion Chris. :wink:

Goat Herder
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Goat Herder » Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:37 am

Well - you asked for it! Here are a few ideas. Don't know if they're feasible, but it gives something to think about.

CAMOUFLAGE
* Similar to burrowing & hide (I don't think we need too many skills that essentially do the same thing (namely raise defence). The difference is that is raises ATT & DEF, and costs less turns to spy. Perhaps, like Hide, it could hide the ? on neighbouring provinces.
* Cost about 100 (because it does a lot of things)
* I don't think you need any prerequisites at all (may BP 2 if you really need to restrict the new skills)
* Why is it Cool? :multicolor: .... 'cause it would probably increase the use of spying. Also, it shouldn't need any major changes to the game engine (as burrowing would)
* extra comment: as said above, I don't think we need heaps of skills that do essentially the same thing. I think we could consider Hide, Burrow or Camouflage, but not all. I simply offer this as an alternative to the others.

COURTSHIP
* improves fertility about 3%
* Cost 100 skill points
* at least 4 appendages (could be 3 legs and 1 arm, or 4 arms and no legs) and half a brain
* Why it's cool? :sexy: If you need to ask that question you probably should get out more.

HIBERNATION (or SIESTA)
* lowers loss of saturation for large animals, but at a cost to fertility. Not sure how much effect - let's say saturation loss each step is halved, but births are halved as well
* cost: dunno --- 50? 80?
* body size 4
* Why is it Cool? :cheers: It's just not cool to eat all the time. I'd rather spend by time drinking or sleeping :sleeping: ... or bushwalking. .... spying on the neighbours doing their camouflage and courtship rituals

SCAVENGER
* gets more saturation out of every feed (say 20% more) when hunting another species
* cost: dunno --- 70?
* must be omnivore or carnivore
* Cool? :007: It's not cool at all to be a scavenger - just a fact of nature.

RAID
* raids a neighbouring square to hunt plants or a species (only perform half the number of attacks compared to normal)
* cost: 50?
* prerequisite: 2 legs
* Cool? :bluegrab: This would be an active skill - rather than "passive" skill like all the above (ie. passive ones just raise or lower a species' attribute, while active ones introduce a whole new action they can undertake).

RETALIATE
* inflicts damage when another species attacks you, eg. when attacked, each failure on the PATT/PDEF gived a 25% chance to kill a specimen of the attacking player
* cost 50
* prerequisite: 3 Brain power
* Cool? :flamer: Makes attacking a bit more dangerous. Would promote spying first instead of just attacking.

That's all for now.
Have fun, everyone.

Goat herder
Live long and prosper ---- but don't let the Taxation Department know.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:44 am

I really like RAID and RETALIATE, they would add something new to the game, especially raid. :D