°° AMAZONAS (beta jungle) °° I joined - Q&A

News, discussions and gossip around WOK SPECIES.

Moderators: trewqh, korexus

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:02 pm

Ok now to ask some questions. :D
Species evolve, mutate and change their attitude towards other species
1. Change their attitude towards other species? Can you say nap? :P
So is it possible to have naps in this game? I would think so though of course not in the actual program.

2. Seeing that you can buy nightvision, am i correct in assuming there will be a day and night cycle?

2a. And the animals can either be day or nocturnal creatures?

2b. And if so does it also mean they have to rest/sleep for a certain period of time?

3. What's the difference and significance between turns, steps and cycles.

4. Could you elaborate on what the different behaviours (react, flee and adapt) do?

5. Does having a bigger population mean that your 'fighting' strength also increases?

6. How long can a species go without food, before starving? Or should we let Strider find out for us? :P

7. What does saturation level mean?

8. By having feeding type set to: herbivore, does this mean you can not eat the creatures of the other players? I mean we're only small spiders, but we could eat Fredo's Ants. :D

9. The attack and defense points work the same as wok army levels?

10 .Al mentioned something about clans...how about having people set up completely different WOK: SP clans? I mean if this game kicks off there will be new players comming in that won't be interested in the original wok games, but only in species, so they should also be able to start a clan. Which would only be associated with WOK: SP.

11. Is it 20:00 GMT yet? :D

PS: Eg, how about a partnership...my spiders could ride on your monkeys' back? :D
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Mullog
Veteran
Veteran
Location: Aalesund, Norway (freezing!). Member of the Vulkings

Post by Mullog » Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:54 pm

Aussie Gaz wrote:Mullog

Can you change my user name to Aussie-Gaz without messing up my orders etc?

I just checked and Aussie Gaz still worked as a login.
I just did. Your name in the kaobase and WOK Species is now Aussie-Gaz.

Let me know if there is a problem. :)

Mullog
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
- Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

Mullog
Veteran
Veteran
Location: Aalesund, Norway (freezing!). Member of the Vulkings

Post by Mullog » Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:09 pm

I will answer some of your questions, and leave the rest to the others... :)
Saladin wrote:Ok now to ask some questions. :D

3. What's the difference and significance between turns, steps and cycles.

4. Could you elaborate on what the different behaviours (react, flee and adapt) do?

5. Does having a bigger population mean that your 'fighting' strength also increases?

6. How long can a species go without food, before starving? Or should we let Strider find out for us? :P

7. What does saturation level mean?

8. By having feeding type set to: herbivore, does this mean you can not eat the creatures of the other players? I mean we're only small spiders, but we could eat Fredo's Ants. :D

9. The attack and defense points work the same as wok army levels?
A turn is run every 15 minutes (in this game, they can be shorter or longer). A step is four turns (1 hour per default) and a cycle is 96 turns (24 hours default). Every step, you will need to eat or you starve, and some other events will occur. Every cycle major events will occur. You wait and see... :)

4. The behaviours are to be explored... :)

5. With a big population you will have more specimens available to attack. But there are also other factors that affect this, and a big herd needs much food...

6. Let strider find out. Or ask Hannibal. He will figure that out soon! 8)

7. Saturation is a nicer word for food.

8. Your body size tells how big you are. Those ants are quite big actually! Herbivores only eat plants.

9. PAtt and PDef are analogous to the same in WOK. The calculations are different of course...

Did I ansver anything or are you left with more questions? :D

Mullog
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
- Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:18 pm

Some more questions. :D

12. What does instinct do?

13. Are their going to be more skills to be learned except the 4 that are present now?

14. Can species change from Herbivore to Carnivore/Omnivore?

15. Any change of starting the game before 8 pm? I'm bored. :D
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:13 pm

Another question (yes still bored)...

Are all player's turns run simultaniously or one after another like in wok 4 and wok 5?

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:33 pm

Well, to pass the time before the kick-off, let's play a guessing game on, say, what "instinct" MIGHT do?! You, know, pure guesswork.

Work back from what variables you'd need if you were designing this, and what atributes a player could CHOOSE to boost, in order to affect those variables.........Hmmmm.....there are species scores for both attack and defence, prior to any numbers or skill or terrain etc. Now, presumably BOTH are affected by body size, maybe brainpower, maybe having any arms. legs!!......but it would be a bit uninteresting if attack score and defence score moved entirely in parallel.....so somewhere there must be variable(s) that affect the one and not the other.....so my wild guess is that "instinct" might be that differentiating variable.....maybe it boosts your defence score, but not your attack score.

Anybody want to join in with a guess?
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:57 pm

I don't like guess work...i like straight answers. :P

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:15 pm

I know. I didn't mean you. This is not your kind of fun :P

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

Hannibal
Commander
Commander

Post by Hannibal » Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:23 pm

Dev team,

Purely on mechanics of submitting orders:

1) After choosing orders, it says submit, so I do.

After Order Queue, it also says submit.....is that purely to enable you to delete orders in the queue, or do you also need to press submit here as some sort of confirmation of orders?

2) I submitted 4 orders into the order queue, 3 using banked turns, one not. The order queue doesn't tell/reming me that some were using banked and some not....shouldn't there be a yes/no under the title "Use banked orders" ?....the box to the right doesn't help, it still says I have a capacity to bank 20......

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:36 pm

Quick answer (we are all in chat):

* 1-Turn orders cant make use of banked Turns ! :P

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:26 am

I was wondering...how do i get another leg, arm, etc when i have enough skill points? I don't see an option to get one of those. :?

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:46 am

Sal, For some reason I suspect that is a "Luck of the Draw" thing if you have enough skill points and you allow mutations you might get one of the available choices.

Just my guess though what does the team say?
There's no need to fear...........
Underdog is here

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:37 pm

Hmm....sounds logical to me, it's evolution after all.

What i would like to know then is if you have 80 skill points will the evolution be on something from 80 skill points or can it be one of 50 skill points as well?

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:34 pm

Ok let me help you a bit on this one.... ONE of the VALID mutations will happen (if you allow it) per cycle.

We are currently evaluating to allow mutations twice per day and make them a bit cheaper, stay tuned.

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Post by Egbert » Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:48 pm

When I put in orders before the game started, I didn't get any options to pick (hunt, spy, move). Now it gives me options --- who to hunt, who to spy, in which direction to go, etc.? Is this by design? :?:

Also, for all of my hunt orders that were entered before the game started, I got this:

"Invalid species 23 or target !" :?

Saladin wrote:Ok, i've got a major complaint. :shock:

I claim the ownership of any MONKEY species!

That's right...nobody should be allowed to be a MONKEY except me!

I'll gladly trade my measily grey spiders with any one, so Eggie hand over those white MONKEYS!

Grey spiders indeed! :x
(in my best Inspector Clouseau voice) --- "Dewn't tuch my white minkey!"
"Fairy tales can come true,
They can happen to you,
If you're young at heart."

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:51 pm

Eg, there was some error caused by Striders apostrophe signup that resulted in some changes. Apparently the options didnt show up until it got fixed. Seems that #23 had to be taken out of the jungle (multiple signups per player, something that was fixed too)

Sorry for the hassles, thats what beta is all about Im affraid.... you still got pretty much time to catch up though, didnt miss anything because the default order was performed anyways. :P

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:59 am

I am guessing here but does the brain power level affect the default orders?

since "Flee" and "React" are both not allowed yet, I suspect they will be available after your brain power hits some threshhold?

Also:

"Indifference" might maybe affect how your species reacts to terrain?
Underdog is here

Hamster
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Hamster » Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:44 pm

Does the behaviour in the default settings has to do with reacting when attacked?
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary numbers and those who don't.

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:51 pm

Yes Hamster. It really sets how you react to an attack by another player.
Not all options may be available from the start....

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:58 am

gm_al wrote:Ok let me help you a bit on this one.... ONE of the VALID mutations will happen (if you allow it) per cycle.

We are currently evaluating to allow mutations twice per day and make them a bit cheaper, stay tuned.
OK now my question is:

Are you MORE likely to recieve a mutation that requires more (or fewer)points are are the chances even that you will get one of the available mutations.

Basically of the 4 choices, are the chances even for every available mutation
Underdog is here