Clan Championship Participation

Promises, threats & propaganda

Moderators: trewqh, korexus, Dameon

Dameon

Clan Championship Participation

Post by Dameon » Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:37 pm

OK, so this is an issue that has never been addressed by the WSC but that I want to bring up now. When a clan is invited to the Clan Champs, what is the eligibilty requirement for players? I ask this because of the recent Vulking split. A lot of Val and Han's VPs are still headed into the VO total, and there is a decent chance that we may make it into the CC because of them. Since their VPs are part of our score, and they were part of VO for at least part of this scoring period, could they (if they were willing) fight on the VO team?

I know that in the past, ex-clan members have been allowed to play on a team, although never so far removed as Val and Han will be from VO when this clan score period ends. I am of the opinion that if they wish, they should be allowed to play, since their VPs are part of what brought VO to the champs game, if it works out that way. But, I can imagine there would be some people out there who might oppose this idea.

It is possible this point may be moot if VO doesn't make it to the CC, but I am feeling pretty good about us making either the #1 or 2 spot this score period. Even if we don't, I think this is an issue that is worth addressing. It might be worth a look at by the WSC as well, but I would like to get some general reactions before thinking about any wording of potential votes.
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:28 am

When did ex-clan members been allowed to play on a team that qualified for the clan champs, Nick?

Personally i'd say no. Clans constantly evolve and the current clan members are the ones that make up that clan. Just like in sports, if a player moves to another team, the former team doesn't get him back for any finals they play in. :)
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:47 am

Actually Sal, the last time CoN played in that game, Bjorn had left for VO about a week or 2 before and had joined VO. When the game began we asked the Scholars if he could play since he had been a big reason we had made the game. They agreed to let him play. So to answer your question it has happened and not all that long ago.

For my part, I think that any player who had gained points for a clan during that scoring period should be allowed to play, if asked by the curent clan head. I tend to agree with Dameon here. We probably should have something written down somewhere clarifying that little question. At the time CoN COULD have fielded a team without him, but we decided that we should ask about using him. He had earned, I believe, 3 of our points that scoring period, which was more than anyone else did during that time.
There's no need to fear...........
Underdog is here

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:10 am

Well i still feel that once a player's left he's out of the clan, but since there is already a precedent set, it should be allowed. Unless of course the WSC votes otherwise, but personally i don't feel strongly enough about it to push for a vote. :)

Though of course it would be good to have this set on paper, so people can't abuse the rule by for instance saying. Player X played for our clan 2 years ago so we would like to have him play for us in the clan champs. Yeah i know that doesn't make sense, but as long as there are no real rules on this, it could happen.

Now back to my penguins. :D
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

korexus

Post by korexus » Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:55 am

Saladin wrote:Though of course it would be good to have this set on paper, so people can't abuse the rule by for instance saying. Player X played for our clan 2 years ago so we would like to have him play for us in the clan champs. Yeah i know that doesn't make sense, but as long as there are no real rules on this, it could happen.
The precedent is for a player who was in the clan during the scoring period and scored some of the VPs which got the clan in the champs in the first place. I doubt anyone would have much of an issue with that, although maybe the other side being asked first would be a way of stopping things being abused. I think most players around WoK are good natured enough to use a bit of common sense in these matters.

Of course, the most fun way of organising it would be if *only* players who earned VPs for a clan could play for that clan in the champs. This would stop almost any possible abuse of the rules. - A player could only come back if they had been playing for that clan recently and well. Also a new player who had joined just before the champs began ouldn't play. Meaning that you couldn't sneakily draft in good players from other clans. Also it could lead to the rathe amusing situation of a clan which has one or two strong players picking up all the VPs only being able to field those two players. Who, against team of 5 from a clan with more "depth" would quickly run into trouble. :twisted:

Not serious there, well, not very...

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:34 pm

Well, if we can set a wording here, I can put forth both TK's idea and this one to a vote of the WSC at the same time to conserve time. How about this for a proposed wording:

To participate in the Clan Championship game for a scoring period, a player must either be part of a qualifying clan, or have had VPs that they have earned gone towards a qualifying clan's VP totals for that scoring period.

That's the basic gist of what we are discussing here. Kor, your idea of limited participation to players who have earned VPs for the clan isn't really viable, since it is quite possible for a player to join a clan halfway through the score period and not earn VPs for THAT clan, if they happen to be finishing up games for their previous one still. I sympathize with the concept, but as it hasn't really been a problem yet I think it's best to leave that one alone. 8)

So what do you say folks, any support for bringing up the vote above to the WSC?
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Lord Fredo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lord Fredo » Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:05 pm

I allways thought that the same rules applied for clan championship games as the ones that apply to normal clan wars.
In normal clan wars there can allready be players from up to two clans on one side or from one clan and up to three mercenaries. Given that a clan can still be valid and only contain 4 members this is an important rule.
Off course I allways considered it a matter of honor to try and field a complete team of active clan members from the own clan. In any case all glory and Clan Kaohalla VP's would still allways go to the qualified clan.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:53 am

Sounds good Nick. Though as Fredo says, a clan that hasn't got enough players should be allowed to invite a player from another clan or mercenary.

GoatHerder
Recruit
Recruit

Post by GoatHerder » Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:58 pm

I think it's just plain common sense that ex-clan members or outsiders can be invited to play.

This is only a game --- I believe it's counter-productive to the game if we were to set down a heap of rules to stop a clan from playing clan champs just because a few people have left. With our other rule of setting a maximum of 2 clam members in a game, it means clans tend to stay smaller rather than larger (to maximise the chances of getting a game when you want one), and it would be easy to fall below the threshold of 5 players by when a clan champs starts.

Go for it!

GH