Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lord Fredo » Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:40 pm

All hail! GM Pat is back. Long live GM Pat! :worship:

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:30 am

OK folks give me the lists and I will TRY to get something going by the weekend.

Almost forgot to ask.
Is this game supposed to be rated? I figure since it is a different kind of game that it wouldn't, but I'm not sure on that. If so I will add the proper columns to the table if I can remember how to do that. It has been awhile since I used my HTML skills(what little I have).
There's no need to fear...........
Underdog is here

Brykovian

Post by Brykovian » Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:19 pm

Underdog wrote:Is this game supposed to be rated?
I really hope it's not, since it's not a typical game ... there are going to be 10 good players on the map, still someone will likely be dead by turn 2 or 3 -- makes me think that people who are concerned about their ratings will shy away from champs or clanwar games if they are going to affect ratings.

Still -- having those columns to show who RIP'd who when is a nice thing.

-Bryk
Matt Worden Games ... Gem Raider, DareBase, Castle Danger, Keeps & Moats Chess

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:57 pm

If your name is different from "Nick" you should rate the game.

Its still the GMs call, but rating brings even more spice to the game.... and who wouldnt want that ? Just announce it in advance please.

Raw
Commander
Commander

Post by Raw » Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:01 pm

Al,

I don't think you need to bring Nick into this on this page. It does say that it is optional to the GM.

IMO - I don't think Clan Champs, Vice Champs, or Champs should be rated, as they are playing the best of the best.

-Raw
It's not fast unless its got a fart can.

korexus

Post by korexus » Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:23 pm

Hmm, Eg and I were saying that from before the Champs starting. No one listened though...

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:27 pm

Uhmm, Im not saying anything different. Its the GMs call.

But why should games full of Pros not be rated ? Makes it even more tasty to get Egbert on his toes ! :P

korexus

Post by korexus » Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:42 pm

gm_al wrote:Uhmm, Im not saying anything different. Its the GMs call.

But why should games full of Pros not be rated ? Makes it even more tasty to get Egbert on his toes ! :P
Which is different. We were saying that the game shouldn't be rated. Not that the GM could choose not to.

The reason behind this is that the ratings assume you are playing against an average field. Some games have stong lineups but equally many have weak so that averages out. Except that the champs will always have a strong line up so the ratings penalty for being eliminated early is unduely harsh. Of course, this argument can be taken further to say that double points should be awarded to the winner. I think that's what Egbert wanted! :wink:

Of course, I don't mind too much. If the champs is rated then my premature exit knocks my rating down which will make it easier for me to show where I feel the flaws are! :P

korexus.

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Post by Egbert » Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:51 pm

Well, I don't think the Clan Championship should be rated at all. It is played entirely different from a regular game --- players sacrifice themselves if it is for the good of the team. I feel very strongly on that point.

As for the individual Champs, I don't think that anyone should get a negative rating for being in the Champs. This could discourage many good players from entering if they knew that they would have the toughest players in WOK as their opponents. I would propose that anyone who makes the Champs gets a small rating bonus, enough to offset the worst rating score you can get in the game (I don't know the numbers, but I would guess getting RIP'd on turn 2 would be the worst). If you don't like the bonus idea, then I would propose that no one could get a negative rating from playing in the Champs. Their rating just remains unchanged.
"Fairy tales can come true,
They can happen to you,
If you're young at heart."

Raw
Commander
Commander

Post by Raw » Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:01 pm

I second that!
It's not fast unless its got a fart can.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:34 pm

Well who could argue with these honourable Scholars. :)

Clan war games should never be rated games. Wok 4 and WOK 5 Champs i wouldn't mind. Of course the field will be stronger than usual, but it's still a regular game. And i doubt anybody will turn down a place in either champs because it could mean a drop in a rating that doesn't count for anything other than honour. :D

How about having a simple rule that says...all games that give vps for the player's high score will be rated games.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Lord Fredo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lord Fredo » Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:58 pm

Boy are there a lot of people being oh so concerned about their ratings ... :)
I would be very surprised to see someone turn down a shot at becoming the world champion of Kaomaris just to avoid a measely dent in the rating score.
Come on people what's all the fuss about really?

Brykovian

Post by Brykovian » Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:47 pm

Lord Fredo wrote:Come on people what's all the fuss about really?
More important question, Fredo ... why did you have a picture of E.T. with a scarf over his head as your avatar? ;) :D

-Bryk
Matt Worden Games ... Gem Raider, DareBase, Castle Danger, Keeps & Moats Chess

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:11 pm

Saladin wrote:Clan war games should never be rated games. Wok 4 and WOK 5 Champs i wouldn't mind. How about having a simple rule that says...all games that give vps for the player's high score will be rated games.
But Champs and ViceChamps are NOT games that give VPs, are they :?: :!: :?: :!: :?: :!:

trewqh
trewqh
the gleefully aggressive Vulking

korexus

Post by korexus » Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:21 pm

They give VPs for kaohalla, which is probably what Sal meant by high score...

korexus.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:48 pm

Lol, no actually i said high score, because i meant the high score and not Kaohalla. On the Kaomaris web site the high score is the season score that determines who gets to go to the Wok 4 and Wok 5 champs. :D
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:20 am

Hmm, I rather think differently on the subject.

Actually I believe the Champs and Vice-Champs as well as Clan Champs are the most even field of them all. Its the best 10 Players in the champs, the best two Clans putting up their best line of (wo)men.... what could be more fair ? I rather think that anyone having to face Eg in his first WOK5 game has some disadvantage, not the 9 guys that are trying to catch him in the champs.

And PLEASE dont start with additional rules suggestions etc. on ratings. There is another thread with a very erudite person in it that handles this.... :roll:

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:33 am

OK folks,

I did not mean to bring the ratings argument over here lets stick to posting those in that thread.

Now my reasoning for the question was that a clan war is played COMPLETELY different than a regular game. As Eg mentioned, players are willing to give themselves up for the sake of the TEAM.

I will not rate this game for that reason.
I will put those columns in if I can figure out how.

Al, is that file with a standardized game page still there and does it have those columns in it? If so that would make my task easier. and if not it should probably be updated since we are asking GM's to do this the standardized page should have them.

Now, Fredo,
I have the scholars list of players but not yours will I get it in the near future?
There's no need to fear...........
Underdog is here

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:48 am

Underdog, just copy paste GM Chris' group page...he's used to people stealing his pages. :P

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:32 pm

If you ask nicely, I'll even do you a copy without my 'signiture' all over it. I'm writing most of the other pages in kaomaris now, so I may as well! :P

korexus.

Seriously, Al. Do you want the GM pack to be updated? Henri did a good job but it's not current anymore...