Clan scoring period ending August 31, 2003

Promises, threats & propaganda

Moderators: trewqh, korexus, Dameon

Bjorn
Veteran
Veteran

Clan scoring period ending August 31, 2003

Post by Bjorn » Wed Aug 13, 2003 1:37 pm

Yes, WOK fans. It is that time of year again. Unless some clan can garner a lot of VPs soon, in about 2.5 weeks the Scholars and Circle of Nine will "face off" in a clan war to determine the new Clan Champion. I think it is time to start recruiting a GM to run this. Only one clan war this scoring period and no current clan wars? Tsk, tsk.

I know the WSC has been considering some changes to the clan system. When I go through our clan reorganization at the end of the month it might be a good time to clarify the status of all the clans.

Ar-Sereg had a unique status among the clans prior to the Phoenix like conversion to Valn Ohtar. Ar-Sereg was listed as "inactive", while all other clans were either active or disbanded. I noted this in Clan Kaohalla. My reasoning is that as long as a clan has a "Clan Head", it is not really disbanded. If it cannot list 4 active members, then it is merely inactive. As the gatekeeper I will usually make any changes to the clan pages I "own" at the request of the listed clan head for that clan.

In a couple of days I am going to send an email to every clan head and ask them to list their active members. Some of those clan pages have not been updated in a very long time and I do not trust the information on them. If a Clan Head cannot give me the names of four active members, then I will not put them into either of the clan leagues. I will list that clan as inactive (or perhaps recruiting?) then sort the active clans into two leagues.

Note to clan heads. I have recorded every player in every completed game for the last seven months. If a players name does not appear in my record book and they are not in a current game, then they are not active.
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Wed Aug 13, 2003 1:52 pm

Great innitiative Bjorn!

Does anybody know the exact rule on when a player is registered as inactive? How many months? If there isn't a ruling on that yet i would like to suggest something like 3 or 4 months.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

trewqh

Re: Clan scoring period ending August 31, 2003

Post by trewqh » Wed Aug 13, 2003 4:34 pm

Bjorn wrote:Yes, WOK fans. It is that time of year again. Unless some clan can garner a lot of VPs soon, in about 2.5 weeks the Scholars and Circle of Nine will "face off" in a clan war to determine the new Clan Champion. I think it is time to start recruiting a GM to run this. Only one clan war this scoring period and no current clan wars? Tsk, tsk.
On behalf of the Brotherhood I offered TKG to have a Clan War with us but I never got any reply. :(
Bjorn wrote:In a couple of days I am going to send an email to every clan head and ask them to list their active members. Some of those clan pages have not been updated in a very long time and I do not trust the information on them. If a Clan Head cannot give me the names of four active members, then I will not put them into either of the clan leagues. I will list that clan as inactive (or perhaps recruiting?) then sort the active clans into two leagues.
You mean this or the next scoring period?

trewqh
trewqh
the gleefully aggressive Vulking

Undertaker
Commander
Commander

Re: Clan scoring period ending August 31, 2003

Post by Undertaker » Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:11 am

Bjorn wrote:Yes, WOK fans. It is that time of year again. Unless some clan can garner a lot of VPs soon, in about 2.5 weeks the Scholars and Circle of Nine will "face off" in a clan war to determine the new Clan Champion. I think it is time to start recruiting a GM to run this. Only one clan war this scoring period and no current clan wars? Tsk, tsk.
I would consider running the game. Is it neccesary to wait 2.5 weeks if it's clear who's the top two?
"That's a good question. Let me see...In my case, you know, I hate to advocate drugs or liquor, violence, insanity to anyone. But in my case it's worked." Hunter S. Thompson

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:28 am

Ut yes I think it is necessary to wait.
You never know and there just might be a few games ending soon so it is possible BoV could overtake CoN but I doubt that will happen. I believe that last time I started the game just a few days after the scoring period ended. You can get lists of players early and get everything ready but I would suggest waiting until the period is over just to be sure. Also the map and which game are yet to be fully determined. The highest scoring clan get to choose the game(WOK4 or 5) while the other gets to choose the map.

Now on another note. CoN has had it's clanhead go missing recently so any requests for this game I would suggest go to either myself, Nemesis or Nestalawe. I feel confident we can field 5 players but I am not sure who they might be. Atually just send it to me and I will figure out what we have to play with. It appears that the Scholars get to choose the game and we get to choose the map as it stands now.
I will send out something tonight to see what we have and see who is available to play on our side if we can hold off BoV.
There's no need to fear...........
Underdog is here

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Sun Aug 31, 2003 5:25 pm

Barring a whole bunch of games ending today it appears that the Scholars will get to choose the game. I guess I have taken over clanhead status temporarily for CoN so lets see if we can get this show on the raod.
Raw, do you know which game we will be playing? If so let me know and we will pick a map to play on.
There's no need to fear...........
Underdog is here

Funtastick
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Funtastick » Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:52 pm

Only one clan war this scoring period and no current clan wars? Tsk, tsk.
As Trewqh said, we've tried getting clanwars, just nobody wants to take up the offer. Is it perhaps the fact that we have never lost a clanwar that scares people off, or is it that no clan is confident enough to risk making the clan champs if they have to face us?

Either way, I still think this system needs a lot of improving...if vice champion and champion are given the right to defend their title whether they earned the VP's to play there or not, why shouldn't there be something like this for a clan? I know I've already had this discussion with Thin King, but then again, I can see why he'd be against me...Anyone else...?

Nobody ever responded to my public challenege to any clan on the boards either :(

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Mon Sep 01, 2003 4:04 pm

Easy solution:

- Clan Champ defends his title against the top VP scorer of next period
- if this is the same Clan, they just retain the title

Support me and Ill bring that up to the WSC ! :wink:

Funtastick
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Funtastick » Mon Sep 01, 2003 4:06 pm

Well, if you're being honest about bringing it to the WSC, then I'm all for it. Something ought to be changed one way or another.
Last edited by Funtastick on Mon Sep 01, 2003 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr_Piggy
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Mr_Piggy » Mon Sep 01, 2003 4:42 pm

how about a 3 way dance?

2 top clans and the champion clan?

But this could give an opportunity for 2 clans to team up.
Mr Piggy!

Lord Fredo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lord Fredo » Mon Sep 01, 2003 6:20 pm

Good suggestion Al. You have my full support.
This way we could also just bring back the single division straight Clan League too while we're at it.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:31 pm

Don't really see why a clan should get a spot in the clan champs final for free. It could very well be as we've seen happen all the time that a clan falls apart and the great players that won them their title the year before have all gone to a different clan and that clan might simply be a mediocre clan this time around. Heck the clan might even have been terminated!
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:27 am

Addition to rule suggestion: if Clan Champ breaks up the two top scorers fight it out. :wink:

I see the support here so I will bring this to the WSC for a vote.

GOAT HERDER was so nice and took over the WSC chairman from Nick until December. Thanx again GH !!

Other suggestion for the WSC: put the start of the Champs back to January 1st instead of December 1st. Imho it will be more easier to handle and more 'logical'. Any support for that ?

Funtastick
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Funtastick » Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:23 am

Good idea...if we begin in December, if the game lasts long enough, which is most likely, Christmas will hit smack dab in the middle of the game causing probably a weeks delay. If we start in January, there's nothing that large to interfere.

Brykovian

Post by Brykovian » Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:12 pm

Guess it doesn't make as much sense to me ... Does a World Cup Champion team (pick any sport with a World Cup) automatically get to be in the championship game the next time around? I believe they have to play through the tourney just like everyone else. Seems to be the case with just about every team-based league: New season -- everyone starts with the same record.

However, in an individual sport -- such as boxing -- the current "champ" gets to hold and defend their title against the latest up-and-comer. This plays nicely into how the WOK champs game is carried out.

Just my opinion ... I'll make sure my WSC representative is aware of my feelings on the topic. ;)

-Bryk
Matt Worden Games ... Gem Raider, DareBase, Castle Danger, Keeps & Moats Chess

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:05 pm

gm_al wrote:Addition to rule suggestion: if Clan Champ breaks up the two top scorers fight it out. :wink:

I see the support here so I will bring this to the WSC for a vote.

GOAT HERDER was so nice and took over the WSC chairman from Nick until December. Thanx again GH !!

Other suggestion for the WSC: put the start of the Champs back to January 1st instead of December 1st. Imho it will be more easier to handle and more 'logical'. Any support for that ?
Does GH replace me as the representative of BoV?

trewqh
trewqh
the gleefully aggressive Vulking

Lord Fredo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lord Fredo » Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:09 pm

Brykovian wrote:Does a World Cup Champion team (pick any sport with a World Cup) automatically get to be in the championship game the next time around?
'

Well actually in most of the large sports (read football and ice hockey) they do qualify for the next tournament. In the case of football even the organizing country gets a spot but that's more a courtesy thing and beside the point.

Also if you want to talk individual sports I don't know if boxing was the best (the only?) comparison. In tennis and other individual sports you can get a wild card regardless of ranking but you still have to play the tournament in order to reclaim your title.

Brykovian

Post by Brykovian » Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:36 pm

Lord Fredo wrote:Well actually in most of the large sports (read football and ice hockey) they do qualify for the next tournament. In the case of football even the organizing country gets a spot but that's more a courtesy thing and beside the point.
Okay -- you caught me on a poor (although, not totally off-base) example. In just about any other contained season-based team sport/game league, everything is reset between seasons. The previous season's championship team gets to raise their trophy on the job well done ... but then they have to fight again through the next season in order to make it back to the champs. I think that makes sense with WOK's clan structure as well.
Also if you want to talk individual sports I don't know if boxing was the best (the only?) comparison. In tennis and other individual sports you can get a wild card regardless of ranking but you still have to play the tournament in order to reclaim your title.
Boxing may not have been the best example either. You examples might work a bit better ... but I think golf might be the best analogy yet -- it nicely mirrors WOK being a many-player game that isn't held in a tournament-type setting. Many golf events will automatically invite an event's winner to the next year's event ... I think that makes sense for WOK's individual champs too.

-Bryk
Matt Worden Games ... Gem Raider, DareBase, Castle Danger, Keeps & Moats Chess

Bjorn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Bjorn » Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:18 am

OK, I have updated the pages and reorganized the two leagues. Neither Balance of Time nor Valn Ohtar can list 4 active players, so they are not assigned to a league and are listed as recruting.

I have very little history of the Clan Championship series. I know the Scholars were often clan champs prior to the Clan league system and I believe BoT was on top at least once as well. If anyone has any further information to offer, email it to me and I will see if I can sort through it and add it to the page.

Bjorn2wok@aol.com
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes