Valn Ohtar recruitment

Promises, threats & propaganda

Moderators: trewqh, korexus, Dameon

TBert
Veteran
Veteran

Valn Ohtar recruitment

Post by TBert » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:58 pm

Hello WoKers and WoKettes. I'm TBert, clan head of Valn Ohtar, and this is my recruitment thread.

First, a blurb about me. I'm active-duty US Army, Military Intelligence (which is NOT an oxymoron) stationed at Buckley AFB near Denver, CO. I was born and raised in Wisconsin, and I take some credit for starting the wave of Wisconsinite players that have passed through WOK over the years. I first started playing WOK in the late 90's at the ripe age of 15, so I've been playing for 8 years now. I was there for the aborted WOK CCG, I was there for the advent of WOK5, Wok Species, and Wok StoneWars. I was a (failed) GM when GM's still had to enter every single order into the WOK4 engine by hand. I was there for the original creation of the clans, I started a clan called Sword of Vengeance, then later joined Ar-Sereg. Ar-Sereg's clan head was Dameon, aka GM Nick, one of the controversial bastions of Wok history.

I stopped playing around fall 2002 (joined the Army), came back for a bit in 2005, then left again when I was hit with a staggering World of Warcraft addiction. I quit WoW cold turkey in summer 2006 (clean for almost a year now!) and spent 9 months playing all the games I missed while playing WoW. Now that I'm caught up, I'm getting re-involved in all the things I left when I started playing WoW, things like Email and WOK. :D

And after seeing how Korexus has completely revolutionized WOK with WokOn, there's no way I'm going to leave again.

Now about Valn Ohtar. Valn Ohtar is a reincarnation of Ar-Sereg. Ar-Sereg was one of the founding clans, led by the aforementioned Dameon. If my memory serves me, Ar-Sereg was usurped by Duke after Dameon did something controversial, and most of the members joined Duke's new clan, The Kaomarian Guard. Then, during one of my absences, something happened and the process reversed. Dameon formed Valn Ohtar, and just about everyone from TKG joined VO.

The two currently active members of VO are myself, and Aussie Gaz. You already know about me, but Aussie Gaz is a driving force behind putting WOK5 Online in the same fashion as WOK4, which will be a great help to players and GM's alike. We also count several inactive but prominent players as members, including Dameon, Bjorn, and Duke.

What will VO do for you? Well, I like to think I've learned a thing or two in my years playing, and I intend to use that knowledge to help you play better. Being an Intelligence Analyst, I'm pretty good at problem solving and strategic analysis. Since I've returned I've won a game, lost a game, and AG and I are working to win another one, so my percentage is pretty good so far.

We probably won't have a website thanks to the new Clan Forums, since we can use that forum as a place to share knowledge and get to know each other. Feel free to email or PM me if you have any questions about Valn Ohtar or WOK in general, and if you're interested in VO, go ahead and apply. Thanks for your time!
pro libertate eos occubuisse - "they died for liberty"

Clan Head - Valn Ohtar

SGT - US Army

23-year-old father of 3 - really needs a beer

Calidus
Commander
Commander

Post by Calidus » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:28 am

BLAH BLAH BLAH! It's all about me!!! :twisted:

Good Lord Tbert, have you really been around that long??? OMG! I think I have been around almost that long too, with a break or two in the process....... dangnabbit! Time sure flies when you are having fun!!
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:23 am

Nice read, Tbert!

I remember some historical milestones as well. The most important was defenitely introducing EFF :shock:. At first PATT was calculated by :shock: multiplying the number of your ARM with the LEV :shock: (and some of the VPs in the Kaohalla come from that period :P ) Then there was the 'reaper value' (to both PATT and PDEF calculated as I mentioned earlier you added a number equal to the number of ARM of the player who had more of them in a battle) which was suppsed to even things out alittle bit. EFF was introduced shortly afterwards.

As for other projects that Tbert did not mention, I was also on the dev team of WOK 6 :roll:
trewqh
the gleefully aggressive Vulking

TBert
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TBert » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:41 am

Oh good god, I think I remember that now too Trewqh. I think EFF was in the game before that, but it wasn't calculated into the PATT and PDEF. Adding EFF into the equation and taking out number of armies ended 'The Age of the Steamroll', when whoever had more armies... won.

Clan Head - Valn Ohtar

SGT - US Army

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:13 pm

TBert wrote:I think EFF was in the game before that, but it wasn't calculated into the PATT and PDEF. Adding EFF into the equation and taking out number of armies ended 'The Age of the Steamroll', when whoever had more armies... won.
You're right. I didn't remember about EFF because it was so neglible back then that you could totally ignore it even though it must have influenced spies and missiles.

Aah, memories are a nice thing... Especially when they give you a perspective on how things are improving in our community. :)

Go Chris! Go Aussie Gaz! :)

(And little propaganda never hurt anyone :P )
trewqh
the gleefully aggressive Vulking

TBert
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TBert » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:21 am

I'd like to welcome TheDragon as the first new member of the revitalized Valn Ohtar :D

Clan Head - Valn Ohtar

SGT - US Army

Duke

Post by Duke » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:10 am

You can talk all day long but nothing you say will change the fact that you are, and always will be, that 15-year old kid from Appleton who uploaded a .mp3 where you sing "Baby one more time".
First one here, last one to leave.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:01 am

YAY! DUKE!

YAY!

YAY!

*dances through the office*

You've got great timing! I was about to send you an invite to a new great x-game. :D
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Calidus
Commander
Commander

Post by Calidus » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:23 am

OMG! IT'S DUKE!!!!

*faints*

Lardmaster
Commander
Commander

Post by Lardmaster » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:00 pm

It's only a model.
Question everything.

Duke

Post by Duke » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:22 pm

You cant copy the real thing Lardy.

Oh and Sal. I am not staying for long. I have a cabin in the woods (no joke) and intend to spend the summer there. I wont bring my computer.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:57 pm

What did you do to deserve such a cruel punishment Dookie?
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

Duke

Post by Duke » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:19 pm

lol

I read Sophies World.......

Calidus
Commander
Commander

Post by Calidus » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:24 pm

Duke wrote:You cant copy the real thing Lardy.

Oh and Sal. I am not staying for long. I have a cabin in the woods (no joke) and intend to spend the summer there. I wont bring my computer.
Are you going to write a masterpiece, the likes of which have not been seen since WALDEN? Or are you just in trouble with the law? :lol:

TBert
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TBert » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:06 pm

And Duke, you'll always be the guy who lost Civil War to a bunch of newbs (including TBert and Smashy), and had to upload a picture of yourself with a sign saying something to the effect of 'I lost to a bunch of newbies.' Did that game get archived somewhere?

Clan Head - Valn Ohtar

SGT - US Army

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:01 pm

Actually! :D

I also found all the turn reports and maps for our winning side. I remember you guys (Tbert, Smashy and Mac An Ghiolla) almost giving me a heartache with the 'let's risk it all on the first turn super agressive' approach. But it worked and as they say the rest (or in this case Duke, Brykovian, Goatherder and Lardmaster) is history. :P

Lardmaster
Commander
Commander

Post by Lardmaster » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:14 pm

Loved that game. We should definitely have another go at that one. I was only thinking about it the other day.
Question everything.

Calidus
Commander
Commander

Post by Calidus » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:25 pm

Lardmaster wrote:Loved that game. We should definitely have another go at that one. I was only thinking about it the other day.
Dang LM, don't you think it would have been better to think about it DURING the game, instead of years later???? :twisted:

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:49 pm

:biglaugh:

Go Cal! :worship:

Duke

Post by Duke » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:11 pm

lol!!!!

Man I hated that game!!!!!! I still say you all were lucky. You may quote me on that one. Someone probably cheated as well.

Nope, I am not in any trouble in the law other than the speeding ticket I got yesterday.

I actually own a house out in the woods. (Not really a cabin but that sounded better).

We spend week-ends and summers there to get away from crazy people like.....eeh well you all.