Looking for a clan

Promises, threats & propaganda

Moderators: trewqh, korexus, Dameon

Ada
Recruit
Recruit

Looking for a clan

Post by Ada » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:49 pm

After this oh so original title I feel I must introduce myself.

I am a new player, looking for advice before all. I have been very consciencious and read all the stuff that the website said I had to read but it won't let me join a game unless I can prove I'm in a clan.
Hence this post.

First, a little bit more about me

I like :

- patient people.
- spending ages on my computer (especially when there are assignments to hand in otherwise it would be no fun)
- MMORPG
- to swear in my mother tongue
- coffee
- rock'n'roll \o/

I don't like

- not understanding stuff
- futon mattresses
- power cuts
- lies
- cabbage and black pudding.

Voilà.
Obviously I have no VP's because I have never played and... I guess that's it.

Anyone has a space ? :)

CrazyPsycho
Recruit
Recruit

Re: Looking for a clan

Post by CrazyPsycho » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:53 am

Ada wrote:After this oh so original title I feel I must introduce myself.
I don't like
- lies
*watches what clan he joins*

Lord Fredo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lord Fredo » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:09 am

Well you are certainly more than welcome aboard The Brotherhood of Vayuna. About that cursing stuff, just what is your native tounge?
*fan i satans helvetes djävlar* :redboxbang:

Ada
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Ada » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:31 am

Förlåt ?

Jag talar inte mycket svenska :/
Voilà
That was a clue :wink:

CrazyPsycho
Recruit
Recruit

Post by CrazyPsycho » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:17 pm

Lord Fredo wrote: *fan i satans helvetes djävlar* :redboxbang:
satan? :devil:

Lord Fredo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lord Fredo » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:28 pm

Righteo Ada! Could it be that we have lured one more out of the tundra to these shores? My gosh if so this might turn into a sort of second coming of the Irish invasion some time back only in a slightly different version only.
So just where are you at then Ada? I myself am from just outside Stockholm and Duke is from Göteborg, that's Gothenburg for all you outsiders.

PS CP that's right on the money DS

Ada
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Ada » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:37 am

Nope sorry these sentences are about as far as my swedish gets. (caught when visiting a friend in Umeå last december)

I am actually french :wink: (and Göteborg is Göteborg for us btw)

I have noticed the part of the website that allows me to send applications to clans. I shall therefore do so in a couple of days (when I get these two satanés assignments out of the way)

Thank you for your answers and see you in a game shortly.

korexus

Post by korexus » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:41 am

Welcome aboard, Ada!

Please bear in mind that you can only apply to one clan at a time. - Asking to join another will cancel the previous request.

Apart from that, go for it, have fun and get in a game as soon as possible!

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Ada
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Ada » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:42 pm

Just another question.

Is it possible to join a first game without being in a clan ?

I would only like to apply once I've played a little and decided whether I'll actually "invest myself" in the game, as I'd hate to join one and then just leave.

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:52 am

T'es Francais, toi? Tu n'en as pas l'air ..... Ton anglais .....

Anyway, to answer your question (since I happen to be here):

At one point I kinda thought that maybe new players should be able to join in unaligned, no clan. But I changed my mind. You see, you might be an exception (brilliant at rules and consequences), but most new arrivals have little idea of what to actually do in the first few turns to survive and prosper, so can easily get ripped and lose heart and never play again. Caster had to ask whether the rules meant you could attack a second province with the armies that took the first province ..... You can, but my point is that he hadn't found that very clear in the rules (and he is bright), and so he had to ask someone ....basics like that, never mind the subtler points!

So, there's a general consensus (which you'll only agree with afterwards!), that a new arrival needs someone to ask advice from; not to tell you what orders to put in, but explanation of rules and your options to choose between.

That's for US as much as for you! We want you to do OK in your first game, not get creamed by wildly getting the tactics wrong .... cos we want new players to enjoy it and re-play, right?

So, ideally, you should have a "mentor" to advise you a bit. Maybe you could be clanless, but have a mentor? Unfortunately that might not work ..... your mentor would be in a clan perhaps other than yours, so might find it hard to be objective and say you prob should smash X, a clanmate of your mentor .....

So, you're best chance of having a decent mentor to explain, help and enthuse you, is to have a mentor who is in the same clan as you. So join a clan and get a mentor. Accept whichever clan offers that help, preferably from an individual who'll even look at your TR's (Turn Reports) and advise you a bit, with options.

Don't worry that you'd be more engaged and less free to quit if you were in a clan. At least half of newbies go AWOL, never to be seen again .... arguably because they are lost about the rules; so, if you join a clan, you are more likely to do OK in your first game, more likely to enjoy it, more likely to stay; and we gain by you being a better player and more likely to stay. We'll take the risk that you don't like it and leave .... but that's not really any worse to us if you're IN a clan rather than if you're not ....

Look out for clan offers, or apply to one. Join any Standard game. And enjoy.

May The Dice Be With You.

Han
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

Ada
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Ada » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:09 pm

I can see your point.

Sinon, oui mon grand, française de chez française, expat' ce qui explique l'anglais et la rencontre avec Korexus qui m'a balancé ce lien dans l'un de ces mails. Et donc, par extension, ma présence ici.
En espérant t'avoir convaincu. (et si ce n'est pas le cas, bah, plutôt con que vaincu, comme on dit par chez moi)

Thank you very much indeed for all the time you took.

Are you looking for a trainee right now btw ?

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:45 am

And this is why we should have rules about talking in foregin languages on the boards. People are talking about me behind my back and what's worse, they're doing it right in front of my face! - Do you have any idea what that's going to do to my spine? :wink:

korexus.

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:59 am

Salut, la copine! ("Ada" aurait pu etre nom de guerre, acronyme, ou bien nom masculin turquios, qu'en sais-je? .... mais je m'excuse de ma fausse supposition!) [Je sais pas comment trouver les accents ici]

Convaincu tout a fait. Je ne faisais que deconner.

Oui, n'aie pas peur, j'ai pige ... j'ai pu piger ton code secret ...d'omettere 18 mots et puis 33 mots ...... ce qui donne:

Ada wrote:
... Korexus ... plutôt con
D'accord. (Je rigole). Mais ceci doit encourager sa paranoia ... surtout quand il apercoit le mot "paranoia" ci-dessus, non? Le pauvre ...

As for mentoring you myself .... (which had better be in open-speak)... well, I wasn't angling for that .... Trouble is, I want nothing to do with a game that has Raw or Saladin in it ..... I'd switch from fun-loving player to all-too-serious ... don't want to do that ... and you can't apply to a game unless you already have a clan ..... so I'd be your mentor if it was a game without them, but maybe you should go with Lord Fredo's kind offer?

Cheers,
Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

Ada
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Ada » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:33 pm

Mwahaha.

Back to more serious matters, I have now applied to the Brotherhood of Vayuna (actually I applied 3 or 4 days ago) and am patiently waiting for an answer :)

See you in a game shortly.

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:06 am

Wake up Fredo...

If anyone *knows* Fredo is AWOL right now, please shout up.

CrazyPsycho
Recruit
Recruit

Post by CrazyPsycho » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:09 pm

I sent him an email about a week ago and didn't get response either

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Post by Egbert » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:51 pm

FYI, Lord Fredo is in my game, Caribbean WOK, and is alive and well.
"Fairy tales can come true,
They can happen to you,
If you're young at heart."

Hannibal
Commander
Commander

Post by Hannibal » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:48 pm

This is looking a bit sad. Ada is clearly enthusiastic, for weeks, but can't get into a clan, in order to get into a first game .... while Tyler is dead keen to get his game started ....if only Ada can get into a clan and qualify to play in the remaining slot .....

And it's been about a week.

OK, if Fredo replies in the next 24 hours, great, go with that. But if not, then we'd welcome enthusiastic Ada into the Vulkings, and I'll act as mentor to answer her queries as she plays, whoever is in the game. So, Tyler can start in 24 hours either way, with Ada in BoV or in Vulkings. OK?

Cheers,
Han

Ada
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Ada » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:45 pm

Thank you Han for your kindness.

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:30 pm

Alternatively, I can just 'accidentally' edit Ada's profile if any resident BoV player wants to take the place of acting clanhead and ok application...

Corruption. Great, ain't it?

korexus.