Cry for Help.

WOK for Advanced Players

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus

korexus

Cry for Help.

Post by korexus » Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:10 pm

Mainly to all GMs, but also to tech types and an apology to the remaining players in my group 2.

While at home I have to use my mother's computer in order to connect to the internet. This is one of the reasons I stay away from home as much as possible, but over the summer I get no choice...

This was a mild irritation before as it meant I had to do everything over a 56K modem, however in the 2 weeks I spent on holiday it has turned into a large problem as she has somehow managed to accumulate an impressive 117 assorted pieces of spyware/adware while I wasn't looking. Despite large pieces of evidence pointing to this fact however, she refuses to spend money to get it fixed as "she has McAfee installed".

Ok, end of rant. The upshot of this is, the computer doesn't have enough memory to run the WoK 5 manager anymore, I point blank refuse to transfer files between this PC and my laptop (as would be required if I were to run turns on that) and in any case I am loathe to upload files to the kaomaris server. Therefore I am asking if any GMs would be able to take over my group 2. There shouldn't be too many turns left to go in it...

Whilst on the topic, does anyone know of any reliable free spy and adware removal services online?

Once again, apologies to all my players, but trust me. The frustration you're feeling is nothing compared to mine! :x

GM Chris.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Allister Fiend
Commander
Commander

Post by Allister Fiend » Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:16 pm

http://beam.to/spybotsd
Try this, it seems to be a popular favorite in the USA.

I have it and it removes quite a bit.

Allister
Oh no!!! I'm out of those important papers.......

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:25 pm

I can take over. Contact me and let me know if there are any specific GMing rules that I should know of.

I'm not sure if I got everything right, but can't you connect your laptop to internet through the link your mother's computer uses? Is the problem that laptops don't have dial-up modems that would be needed to use the same link?

trewqh

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:27 pm

A lot of people I know use Adaware (Don't know how to get it... I'm sure Google could find it though). I'm not sure about spyware and such but Trend (www.trend.com) has a free Online Virus scan which could be helpful as well.

If there are no objections (Since I was in the game), I will pick up the group. My group 4 had 5 quits which was dissappointing. I'll finish your group for you before I open another one. Send me the files and I'll try to get it running again.

GM Josh
The scars remind us that the past is real.

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:28 pm

lol, Ok, Mike beat me to the punch. It's all yours Mike. I'll open a new group soon then.

GM Josh

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:56 am

May I refer you to the sticky top thread in the chit chat forum.....

http://www.kaomaris.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=723

:roll:

Id also suggest some RAM optimiser to work in the back so you get a bit more speed for your applications. Ill post a link later on the one I currently use.

PS: never ASK your parents about their PC or if you may do something there - either do it or leave your hands completely away from it. My dad always trys to trick me into "looking" at his computer, but I know that is like opening a can of worms. We had to take his computer offline because whenever he connected to the net the final result was total infection by viruses and spamware. He would also be tricked into responding to "phishing" links and similar stuff. I once installed him a suite of firewall/blockers/scanners etc. but a week later when I came back to his house it was already the same mess then before.... since then I avoid touching my parents computer and just giggle when I hear wild reports from them.

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:44 am

Old people and technology... Two things that just don't click. :P :P

Donut

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:39 pm

And here is the link to Maxmem, very nice tool and freeware.

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/system.htm

:P

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:52 pm

Al, what settings do you use to get the best effect? :D
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:24 pm

I keep the default values, including "left click = aggressive cleanup".

I load Maxmem with Windows - just make sure to turn it off when you defrag your drive (I suggest "Diskeeper" for that), and click it just before you kick off a large game/application - can help a lot.

:P

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:45 pm

Thanks. :D
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

ThinKing

Post by ThinKing » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:55 am

trewqh wrote:I can take over. Contact me and let me know if there are any specific GMing rules that I should know of.
Can we get this party (re-)started?

The deadline has passed so Chris should have all the AOFs and data files ready to go.

Mike - you could just email out the map with the reports. It seems pointless to make a whole page when the game is almost over.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:45 am

I was waiting for Chris to contact me. I will e-mail him in a second.

I can ask Al to forward me the DAT file if it's in the TDH and you could then resend your orders to me in case Chris is slow due to his computer difficulties. I'll e-mail you all about this in two seconds.

And I will set up a group's page so that I can name it my Group 8 and thus my next new group will be number 9 :) The bigger the number the more satisfaction I have :)

trewqh

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:26 pm

Chris, (in case you check the boards earlier than your e-mail) Al says that the last DAT file is not in the database. You will have to send it to me directly or upload it there.

trewqh

korexus

Post by korexus » Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:43 am

I'm replying from a place other than home right now...

The computer that I was running the game from has gone from bad to worse and I am in the process of washing my hands of it entirely. I will send trewqh the files as soon as is possible (before anyone says anything about the TDH speeding things up, it wouldn't in this case as I would still have to send trewqh the map and ini files which would still require access to that computer.

The computer should be back from the shop on Friday. I will send Mike all the files and rules then.

GM Chris.

PS. TK, don't be so sure about AOFs, even 4 days after the end of a 2 week deadline I haven't had any orders from your clan mate. I guess this situation works well for you after all...
With Great Power comes Great Irritability