Gaz 4

WOK for Advanced Players

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus

Calidus
Commander
Commander

Gaz 4

Post by Calidus » Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:33 am

Wow, when it comes to guarding someone's back door, Trewq is effective as Ecrivian! Hi Dameon! Didn't expect you til next turn. *waves* *gives him the finger* :twisted:

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:48 am

Yeah, well it did help that we had Trewqh's spycode and ran it for three turns straight, let me tell you. My guess is he learned a lesson the hard way about the value of upgraded troops, too. Sorry to drop in on you uninvited, old pal, but I owe you for sticking me with the Ankh-Momp. 8)
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Ecrivian
Trooper
Trooper

Re: Gaz 4

Post by Ecrivian » Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:24 am

Calidus wrote:Wow, when it comes to guarding someone's back door, Trewq is effective as Ecrivian! Hi Dameon! Didn't expect you til next turn. *waves* *gives him the finger* :twisted:
Hey now, you put a weapon in my hand (not counting my stupidity, lol :P ) and I'm sure I could be more effective than Trewqh. :roll:
War determines not who is right, but who is left. We shall see in the days ahead whom of you appear atop the pile of corpses.

Lowebb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lowebb » Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:43 am

Assuming Calidus and Dameon arnt sparing, cause I wouldnt put it past either of them it good to have Dameons company down here, with me getting double teamed by Bjorn and Calidus, I was beginning to feel like a "double adaptor" there. Which is never a good thing for a bloke :P

Calidus
Commander
Commander

Post by Calidus » Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:20 am

Just be thankful that I screwed up my orders and only attacked one lonely empty province. :( You would think that I haven't been playing this game for over three years. Sheesh.

-Calidus

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:48 pm

Yeah well I didn't have much faith in either your or Skarn to attack XW like you told Bjorn you were going to Cal, so don't feel like you've surprised me or anything. :roll:
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Calidus
Commander
Commander

Post by Calidus » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:52 am

Skarn wussed out on us and resigned a nap with Xwing. Me, well, I am just cant count and/or read. You know how these TN skools is.

-Calidus

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:03 am

Something tells me Skarn figured out you and Trewqh had signed an alliance, and then realized that UD had signed on with Bjorn and I, leaving him out in the cold if X-Wing died. That's OK, we're equal-opportunity RIPpers; Skarn will have his turn. :twisted:

Lowebb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lowebb » Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:33 am

Well I can't understand Calidus's stupidity, I tried to get the 4 of us against the north 3 but he thought it would be better just helping you out, and has since screwed all of us out of VP's. My educated guess is Underdog-Bjorn split depending on which southern player gives the most resistance.

Skarn
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Skarn » Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:35 am

Dameon wrote: That's OK, we're equal-opportunity RIPpers; Skarn will have his turn. :twisted:
Hazzar ! Should I feel lucky, punk ? Should I ?

How good do I feel, my lands surrounded by such players as Dameon, Bjorn, Underdog, X-Wing and Cadilus. Such illustrious company !

Which of you shall have the honour of RIPping me...?
A Scholar and a gentleman !

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:37 pm

I do want to send my thanks out to XW and Cal for continuing to fight while the invading armies are at their doorsteps- it sure makes my job easy! :roll:

Bjorn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Bjorn » Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:57 pm

Well run game, Gaz. There was one no-show and one late arrival, which made my job easier. Dameon did most of the work, as I only took out the missing player and UD took out the late arrival. Skarn beat me to the punch by one turn, otherwise it would probably be Dameon and I splitting the VPs.

Calidus played well. If it weren't for the fact that Dameon and I are from the same clan I would have preferred to ally with him against UD and Dameon. The early break of Trewqh's spy code gave Dameon a huge advantage there. Given how it played out, I believe the result would have been the same.

I really like the H>L OOP option. It allows the stronger players to hunt down the weaker players, but they have to maintain some forces to defend their important provinces against the enemies last move advantage. While the alliance of the Big Three from the North probably did the most to keep the game to 11 turns, this H>L OOP option played an important role there too.
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:48 pm

Upgraded units are what did it. Trewqh was the only one with a reasonable shot at stopping me, since he had access to just as much wood as I did, but he didn't go that route. Actually, his missing the last crucial turn before I invaded him helped as well, otherwise I would have suffered some more significant losses from GCAs. I probably still would have knocked him out with UD's help in a couple rounds, though, since he had very few knights or catapults and UD never really had to bring his main forces to bear the way it played out.

After that, it was easy. Calidus is a strong player, but he was surprised when I nailed him from behind after slicing through Trewqh. Without pikeman, he would have held me in the tundras, but again upgraded units came to my rescue. The fact that he and X-Wing had been fighting also sealed their fate. UD built up a huge amount and destroyed Skarn in one round with some help from Bjorn while I massacred X-Wing, and that was that. I really do like the H>L OOP option, it reduces the amount of luck in the game, always something I am in favor of, and it also helps the game move along quicker.

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:51 pm

I've updated the Ratings page and all Kaohallas according to Gaz's page. I must say that someone with more knowledge than I should come up with a better way to make the Ratings Page. Putting the numbers into excel is cake, but rearranging them afterward is kind of a pain. Not hard, just tedious. I'm afraid that after we get most active players into the system, every game will have 10 position changes :? Like I said, not hard, just time consuming.

Donut
The scars remind us that the past is real.

Bjorn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Bjorn » Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:02 pm

Donut wrote:I must say that someone with more knowledge than I should come up with a better way to make the Ratings Page. Putting the numbers into excel is cake, but rearranging them afterward is kind of a pain. Not hard, just tedious.
I know you like to have the same formats for the pages, but no one is going to mind if you take the lazy man ways out for the ratings page. Excel has a "Save as HTML" feature that is really handy. Just plug in the results and let it do the work. Then save as HTML and post it. If you have some sort of web authoring (like Front page) it is easy to delete the columns you don't want to show.
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:01 pm

Hey Donut,

Somehow Bjorns rating got input wrong. It should be 1.090 but is 0.090.
I find it kinda funny that he is in the right spot on the list but the number is wrong.
What kind of sorting do you use to get it to do that?
There's no need to fear...........
Underdog is here

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:01 am

It's called Fuzzy Math :lol: . I hand input them in Frontpage but sorted them according to my Excel file. I changed it so that I shouldn't have any errors anymore, I hope :? Too bad Excel doesn't have the colors I use :(

Donut
The scars remind us that the past is real.

Lowebb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lowebb » Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:07 am

Yep, Calidus and me fighting won the war for the boys in the north. After a discussion with my now clan mate Ud after about turn 4 it was obvious the 3 in the north were working together and splitting the VP's by score at the end. I emailed everyone else, as I knew Skarn, Calidus and Bjorn were all about to attack me, I managed to change Skarns mind and on the first turn of the attack I almost countered Bjorns attack, actually I was a bit unlucky not to. I easily held out Calidus but didnt stand a chance when Dameon came through.

This game was not won by the boys in the north, it was lost by the guys in the south. I find it nothing short of pure stupidity that Calidus still attacked me even though he knew you were up his arse Dameon. He obviously would rather lose than work with me, which I shall remember.

I have a few other quibbles about others but I'll not mention them here. Thanks to Gaz, he ran a good game, though I have nothing against the H>L, it becomes very predictable

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:46 pm

Lowebb wrote: This game was not won by the boys in the north, it was lost by the guys in the south.
Sometimes, Ben, winning is all about letting your enemy make mistakes. In any case, I was the only one out of the northern trio to bring my full strength to bear on the war. Had we run into more trouble in the south, Bjorn and in particular UD had massive armies just waiting to descend as well. The game was won for us when Trewqh fell; after that point it was simply a clean up job.

Lowebb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lowebb » Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:52 pm

Bjorn wasnt that strong, if Calidus had agreed to ally with skarn and I, I would have been able to push Bjorn back, I had his spycode from about turn 7