Return of the X-Games?

WOK for Advanced Players

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus

Which GM Nick X-Game, if any, would you like to see make a return appearance?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:23 pm

Survivor
31%
Trade Wars
6%
Castle Grazada
13%
Kal'Amin Mountains
19%
Other (please explain)
6%
None, please stick to normal WOK 5 games!
25%

Total votes: 16

Dameon

Return of the X-Games?

Post by Dameon » Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:23 pm

I am thinking of running another X-Game in the near future, so I wanted to put this question out. These were the four most popular X-Games I have run over the last couple of years, and I was thinking of bringing one or more back for another showing for people who wanted another shot or for the new folks who never saw them. For those of you that haven't played in any of these X-Games, here is a brief description of each:

1) Survivor- start out with 20 players, 2 maps (tribes!) of 10 each. (up to 4 players per clan, split up). A "survival challenge" (ie corn collected, provinces controlled, etc) is held each round to find out which tribe has to vote somebody out. After we are down to 10 players the maps combine and a person is voted out every round until the end, and when it's down the final two the "jury" (last 7 players voted out) picks the winner. Just like the game show. :-)

2) Trade Wars- five teams of two players sign up, and it becomes a resource-gathering war. Points are awarded each round depending on the total resources collected, and the game runs a set number of rounds. The team with the most points at the end, wins. Conflict is allowed, of course.

3) Castle Grazada- this is a "secret map" game, where the map is gradually revealed as players take more provinces. The goal is to put the different "rooms" (about 12 or so, each of 3-7 provs) in the correct order on the mapping grid- the first team to complete the entire map wins.

4) Kal'Amin Mtns- this is a magic heavy game, where the entire map consisted of mountain provinces. Players were given a very large amount of corn to start the game, and spells were reduced to half cost to create. The winning conditions are basic; keep fighting till you come out on top.

The maps for all of these games are at Map Central, so you can check those out if you want.
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Ecrivian
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Ecrivian » Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:10 am

Nick,
As your normal game is having difficulties filling up I'd suggest just sticking to those for the time being. X games are just that, EXTRA work, EXTRAVAGANT, EXTRANEOUS, more noobs/beggs need the regular WOK 5 games so that they can learn then once they become relatively familiar with it we'll see how it goes... plus think of it! Less work for you!!!!!!!!!!
War determines not who is right, but who is left. We shall see in the days ahead whom of you appear atop the pile of corpses.

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:40 am

I appreciate the sentiment, but I also know that there are some folks out there who wouldn't sign up for a normal game but would love a shot a an X-Game. In any case it's not a for sure thing I am going to run one- as you say my normal list is filling up slowly enough at this point that I don't know if the demand is there. I just want to get a sampling of various folks opinions here, and we'll take it from there.
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:30 am

A WOK 4 X-game...preferably where the players are divided in to 'teams'. :D
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

korexus

Post by korexus » Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:45 pm

I have a WoK 4 X-Game lined up.

However, I need to finish my first game before I can start a new one, so there may be a bit of a wait there. Unless you can convince all my players to drop their respective NAPs...

GM Chris.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:47 pm

Ah cr@p Chris just start your new game...i want a new game and i will persuade Nick and Taker to grand you the right to start a second game. :P
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:46 am

I don't run WOK 4 games Sal, you know that. I refuse to have anything to do with WOK 4, which is why I didn't volunteer to pick up the clan champs. Anyway, you wouldn't have to convince me of anything, I know Chris is a responsible and respectable fellow and I doubt any GMC member would have problems with him starting a new game. We can make it an official vote if you want, Chris- just let us know.

korexus

Post by korexus » Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:49 pm

I still need to make the map and ini. The run it past the x-game forum first. I'll start on that now, after everything's sorted I'll see how much longer my group 1 has left in it...

GM Chris.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Raw
Commander
Commander

Post by Raw » Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:15 pm

Ecrivian,

Please speak for yourself. It's not our fault your still a beginner

-Raw
It's not fast unless its got a fart can.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:31 pm

And always will be. :roll:

ThinKing

Post by ThinKing » Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:01 pm

Raw wrote:Ecrivian,

-Raw

...and weaker players are not allowed opinions now?

Raw
Commander
Commander

Post by Raw » Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:02 pm

Obviously not as you haven't posted yours :shock:

Ecrivian
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Ecrivian » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:21 am

Raw wrote:Ecrivian,

-Raw
And its not my fault that I wasn't hand taught by the best in the game, I've switched so many clans that I've learned several things and have forgotten a bunch more. I do have the potential to be a great player and I was starting to get there with CoN's help but that fizzled. Larry as well as the other brother's have taught me one very important thing.... PARTNERS/ALLIES ARE VITAL TO VICTORY! And seeing as your allies are/were TK/Egbert/Brykovian I can see how you manage to squeak in some VP's under their wings.

so be quiet, puppet....

(NOTE: I do recognize that Raw is a great player on his own, and he has accomplished quite a few victories by hard work and fighting bloody, however I do believe that his first victories came via shared victory with his Scholar friends and there is nothing wrong with this, its just nice to have big strong friends to help you on your way. Further Note: The Scholars are an excellent clan that communicate well and have brilliant players that get the job done. Post Mortem Note: I've applied to the Scholars three (3) times and have been refused by the Scholars three (3) times.
War determines not who is right, but who is left. We shall see in the days ahead whom of you appear atop the pile of corpses.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:48 am

LOL Raw's first victories were with BoV, he only recently became a Scholar. Although his first vp was shared with a certain Scholar. :D

Brykovian

Post by Brykovian » Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:52 pm

Saladin wrote:LOL Raw's first victories were with BoV, he only recently became a Scholar. Although his first vp was shared with a certain Scholar. :D
Actually, I thought Raw's first VP was awarded while he was part of CoN ...

-Bryk
Matt Worden Games ... Gem Raider, DareBase, Castle Danger, Keeps & Moats Chess

ThinKing

Post by ThinKing » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:01 pm

Ecrivian wrote:...PARTNERS/ALLIES ARE VITAL TO VICTORY! And seeing as your allies are/were TK/Egbert/Brykovian I can see how you manage to squeak in some VP's under their wings.

so be quiet, puppet....

Finally... the day has come!

Ecrivian is talking sense.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:25 pm

Hmm...could be that Raw was with CoN back then.

BTW i dare say that the majority of Raw's vps were not won with clan mate but with little old me. :D

SmashFace

Post by SmashFace » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:59 pm

i think raw shared a few with me also... but nice try
God of WOK

Raw
Commander
Commander

Post by Raw » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:28 pm

Ec,

I guess I don't have to back myself, these kind fellas did it for me. My first VP was with CoN. Very few of my VP's are shared with clanmates. I have split the majority of them with Sal and a few with SF.

Do you want me to hold your hand in a game and teach you the ropes?

Love,
Puppet

ThinKing

Post by ThinKing » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:47 pm

Raw wrote:Very few of my VP's are shared with clanmates.

Clanmates are the ones who get stabbed...