I even repaired my GM's homepage :D

GM Mike
trewqh
the gleefully aggressive Vulking

Undertaker
Commander
Commander

Post by Undertaker » Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:58 pm

I need to be in this game, sign me up. Please save a spot for another member of the First Family too. Thankx
"That's a good question. Let me see...In my case, you know, I hate to advocate drugs or liquor, violence, insanity to anyone. But in my case it's worked." Hunter S. Thompson

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:38 pm

I got it, but, please, e-mail me anyhow!

trewqh
trewqh

Undertaker
Commander
Commander

Post by Undertaker » Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:54 pm

C'mon people. There's only two spots to fill. You mean to tell me you're a bunch a chickens. Get off your arse and join up!

Trewqh, how about you start this game soon, with or without anyone else.
I'm not even in a game and would like to play at least one this scoring season.
"That's a good question. Let me see...In my case, you know, I hate to advocate drugs or liquor, violence, insanity to anyone. But in my case it's worked." Hunter S. Thompson

ThinKing

Post by ThinKing » Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:58 pm

But its such a rubbish map!!

If you arent in the south, you cant mine.

You know what that means. Its all about getting LUCKY on turn zero!!

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:12 am

I do agree that the map isn't very good for the same reason TK doesn't like it, but the best strategy if you get stuck in the north is simply to charge south and get into an early war so mining and magic doesn't become that big of an issue. For that reason I do anticipate a shorter game overall- we shall see.
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:35 am

Three players actually, Taker.

Raw had to leave the waiting list because of work.

Only two players will start in the north (and the third in the middle) and consider that players in 44, 49 and 52 will not have an easy start from the diplomatic point of view.

I think this is a good map.

trewqh
trewqh

BigJOzzy
Trooper
Trooper

Post by BigJOzzy » Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:03 pm

On the other hand those in the mountains, or the coast have very few plains to keep there armies fed, so they need to expand north. Which also leads to a nice, short, bloody war....... 8)

Massielita

Ecrivian
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Ecrivian » Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:44 am

So uhm are we going to start with a full deck or what?
War determines not who is right, but who is left. We shall see in the days ahead whom of you appear atop the pile of corpses.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:29 am

We still have only 7 players.

I won't start the game unless I get 8 and I'd much rather have 10 :P

trewqh
trewqh

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:05 pm

Two more players joined. We now have 9 players.

I will start the group within 24 hours whether someone fills the last spot or not.

GM Mike
trewqh

Undertaker
Commander
Commander

Post by Undertaker » Tue May 25, 2004 1:03 am

We are coming for you Yarosund. :pure evil:

Yarosund
Trooper
Trooper

Do you need Oop on your side too

Post by Yarosund » Tue May 25, 2004 6:39 am

I must say the assault of the bad guys was not as impressive as I had expected.
I think things would ba a lot closer if Oop was not stacked in favor of the enemy.
If we include turn 16, both BOT players will be last in the OOP 3 turn running. That's 2 of us and 3 of them. You would kind of think that one of us would maybe get a chance to go before at least one of them.
This might not seem so bad to everyone else, but when you are smaller and weaker than the enemy, it is kind of a good idea to be able to try and get out of his way and not just stand still waiting to be hit by a steamroller.
Do you guys really need all this luck to help you?.

p.s Mylants: I sure enjoyed kicking your butt. Bit of a shame that I will not survive very long to enjoy this.

That's my moan over with.
Apart from that it has been a good game.
I don't think I ever recovered from attacking Mullog. He put up a good fight and left me off the pace.

Any WOK 5 waitlist about to open?

Ah well I suppose luck is part of the game. Maybe I will have better luck next time.

Undertaker
Commander
Commander

Post by Undertaker » Tue May 25, 2004 2:06 pm

I'd say after spending most of this game in battle, our forces are pretty darn good, considering.

Really, I expected more of a battle from BOT, you've been sitting there most of the game.

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Tue May 25, 2004 2:27 pm

Are you serious Yaro? You and Shakira have been sleeping almost this entire game, except for taking out Mullog early in like three rounds. That means about 10 rounds of sleeping, if you're keeping track. TFF and I have taken down TR, Massie, and Val in that timeframe (and would have taken Ec too had he not gone MIA), and now we're finally coming south for you. I'll admit that you have had some bad luck in terms of the OOP, but the bottom line is all of our units are mostly upgraded whereas very few of Shakira's or your has been; I killed over 150 of hers while losing about half that many. And Shakira was hardly in a place to attack anybody this round even if she was before us in OOP, most of her armies were buried inside her empire away from the frontier.

Oh, and if you want to talk about bad luck, try this on for size. In the battle for 34, I came in with 80 troops to Shakira's 83. My starting PATT was 76, and her PDEF was 43. Even losing my creature 15 rounds in only dropped my PATT to about 60, still plenty high. And yet, I still only managed to win that battle by 2 armies. That was horrid luck, the only way it could have been worse is if I actually lost.
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

ThinKing

Post by ThinKing » Tue May 25, 2004 3:32 pm

Dameon wrote:And yet, I still only managed to win that battle by 2 armies. That was horrid luck, the only way it could have been worse is if I actually lost.
...or if you had won, with only one survivor. :wink:

Mylantis
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Mylantis » Tue May 25, 2004 7:07 pm

Ah, Yarosund, my main aim in that battle, (any battle that we have in fact) is not to win, but just to harass, keep you busy, kill off your armies, ect. while I wait for the calvary to arive. Since you only captured one teritory last turn and I go before you in the OOP agian, I'd say I got you where I want you....... :lol: This game has been basicly a wash for me from the beginning. I know a lot of players who would have just went M-3. But then I don't always play to win, And I've enjoyed trying to turn things around in this one.
Loved by few, hated by many, respected by all........The First Family

Yarosund
Trooper
Trooper

3rd attempt

Post by Yarosund » Fri May 28, 2004 8:28 am

For the 3rd day of trying will the darn Board work.
last attempt at posting copied below.
p.s. not really 100% serious on my point that we could have won, but it could have been closer

keep trying to post this to the boards but it will not work, so here you go

What happened to my reply?
Now that's a mystery
I did post a reply here yesterday, and was expecting to see a few responses.
Anyway, I'll quick summerise my points.
(1) My main point is that for the 3 turns of any interest ALL 3 of your players went before ALL 2 of the BOT players. Which, is not a very likely event. I went on to say 'I wonder what the odds of that are?'. In the hope that someone, maybe would work them out. Mainly cos I'm too lazy and too busy.
(2) Nick was wrong. Shakira was perfectly able to attack. Think about it Nick I am sure you can figure out how this was possible. Do you think we are daft enough to let you pick us off with GCA's. Not that I'm not daft, but I'm sure I have suffered like that b4.
(3) Sorry for the cheap shot at Mylantis. This was actually an attempt at humor. Basically, I held off an attack from the weakest player in the game, and they actually did a good job of attacking me. With luck Mylantis might have done for me. So good work there.
(4) The real success of this game has been Nick's diplomacy. I must admit I did not see him as any threat at the start, I eventually found myself having to keep renewing NAP's purely because I was too weak to do anything about it. I did really expect Nick to be gobbled up by 1 of the bigger teams, but Mylantis's poor start gave him the chance to gain a deal the TFF.
(5) After studying the Reports (mine and Shakira's) I actually beleive that we could have beaten you. All we had to do was to keep out of the Plains. Its a big shame Nick changed his spycode the turn we ran it. Again, OOP prevented us from gaining this. Nick went b4 both of us!.

Good game, maybe next time it'll be different.

korexus

Re: 3rd attempt

Post by korexus » Fri May 28, 2004 9:18 am

Yarosund wrote: (1) My main point is that for the 3 turns of any interest ALL 3 of your players went before ALL 2 of the BOT players. Which, is not a very likely event. I went on to say 'I wonder what the odds of that are?'. In the hope that someone, maybe would work them out. Mainly cos I'm too lazy and too busy.

(3! * 2! / 5!)^3 = (6 * 2 / 120)^3 = (1/10)^3 = 1/1000

I win this time, TK! :twisted:

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Fri May 28, 2004 2:52 pm

Just want to record this for posterity here. Overall, it was a very good game, and it's refreshing to have such an intelligent discussion after the fact. :-)

(1) My main point is that for the 3 turns of any interest ALL 3 of your players went before ALL 2 of the BOT players.

It's true, that was bad luck. But if you want to know the worst luck, look at my starting spot. No clanmates, and it was pretty much right in the middle of the map. Sometimes you gotta make your own luck, y'know? And I still can't believe how badly my battle with Shakira in 34 went, that was also pretty ugly, although fortunately I did win.

(4) The real success of this game has been Nick's diplomacy. I must admit I did not see him as any threat at the start, I eventually found myself having to keep renewing NAP's purely because I was too weak to do anything about it. I did really expect Nick to be gobbled up by 1 of the bigger teams, but Mylantis's poor start gave him the chance to gain a deal the TFF.

You know my credo, diplomacy wins games. I've been working with TFF from turn 1, although our alliance was not set until after TR and Massie were RIPped. I thought that when we cancelled our NAP with Validon that he would alert you and we'd have to fight a 2-front war- fortunately that didn't happen though, otherwise things may have gotten pretty sticky for us.

5) After studying the Reports (mine and Shakira's) I actually beleive that we could have beaten you. All we had to do was to keep out of the Plains. Its a big shame Nick changed his spycode the turn we ran it. Again, OOP prevented us from gaining this. Nick went b4 both of us!

Yes, that much is true, but even if you had run my code it wouldn't have been THAT big of a deal. I didn't transform most of the knights I used in the assault until right before I attacked, so you wouldn't have gotten too much great info. Also, you only saw my big knights force because Shakira's lands are almost all plains. I have plenty of archers (with creature in tow, you got spy data on thirty-eight) and catapults lurking around still, plus more knights up north. And you couldn't beat me until you dealt with those knights eventually. I think our massive amounts of upgraded units would have prevailed in any case, but I do admit it might have taken longer if we had to chase you down.

It was a good game, that's true, but you slept too long. If you would have joined forces with Val and given Taker and I something to think about in the south then this one would have been up for grabs- you simply waited too long to act, and allowed Mylantis to recover well and Taker and I to focus our full forces on you. And I do want to say thanks to Mike for doing such a great job running this one, kudos!