GM Dom

WOK for Advanced Players

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus

Lowebb
Veteran
Veteran

GM Dom

Post by Lowebb » Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:45 pm

Dom needs to read the WOK5 rules, particularly the one on the main page just below the WOK5 banner

New Group.......Beginner....Rules......Advanced.....

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:23 pm

Dom's WOK5 beginner game is open to players with 3 or less WOK5 games under their belt, not just any beginner off of the street. This game was requested by a few players, including myself so that when I did decide to try a WOK5 game I wouldn't be annihilated by experienced WOK5 players. Apparently a few others agreed with me.

Donut
The scars remind us that the past is real.

Lowebb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lowebb » Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:02 pm

still not a good name for a game considering the rules

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:48 pm

:?

It's not like we're going to be pursued by the UN for that. :P

Come on, X-wing. Would you really ban a complete WOK newbie from playing WOK 5 if he chooses to do so? The writing under the banner is to guide people new to kaomaris. It' s not a rule of any kind. (Hence, 'registered' :P)

trewqh
trewqh
the gleefully aggressive Vulking

Raw
Commander
Commander

Post by Raw » Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:52 pm

Is this game worth VP's? Or is it a training game?

-Raw
It's not fast unless its got a fart can.

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:02 pm

VP's as far as I know. I hope so anyway.

Donut
The scars remind us that the past is real.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:25 pm

I'm fully supportive of a wok 5 game for beginning wok 5 players. Why have beginner games for wok 4, which is actually a quite easy game to learn. And not have beginner games for a complicated game like wok 5. That doesn't make sense.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

SmashFace

Post by SmashFace » Sun Jan 18, 2004 5:16 pm

wok4 beginners games are worth vp's WOK5 ones are also :) most of these players ARE advanced, but are beginners to WOK5! i will not accept any harrassment for running this game, i wish i someone ran a wok5 beginners for me when i started.
God of WOK

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:37 pm

Well said Dom!

If i wasn't such a lazy git i'd GM a wok 5 beginners game as well! And i would encourage all clans to set up a mentor for their beginner wok 5 players who can show them the ropes (i know most already do).

PS: If your clan doesn't have somebody to help you with WOK 5...send your long long mails full of wok 5 questions to uncle Egbert at the Scholar library. :P
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Lowebb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lowebb » Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:40 am

The drop out level in wok4 beginners games tends to be atleast 2 per game as can be as high and 5. WOK4 is easy, WOK5 is hard and can be disheartening.

1) Do you want to scare them away early

2) With such a drop out rate, someone with a background in webmail games may catch on quick and get an easy 3VP. Thats a big VP start for someone compared to others who earned their first VP in a beginner WOK4 game then won the rest the hard way.

Not that I care....

korexus

Post by korexus » Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:59 am

Donut wrote:Dom's WOK5 beginner game is open to players with 3 or less WOK5 games under their belt, not just any beginner off of the street. This game was requested by a few players, including myself so that when I did decide to try a WOK5 game I wouldn't be annihilated by experienced WOK5 players. Apparently a few others agreed with me.

Donut
Donut already said it, but it looks like it needs saying again. This game isn't aimed at complete beginners, it's aimed at people who have played WoK 4 and want to move onto WoK 5. If you look at the list of people who have joined there's not a single person there who hasn't already played some WoK 4. They're probably all "advanced" in the normal meaning of the word. trewqh's in the vice champs for cripes sake! So the dropout rate shouldn't be a problem at all.

Maybe beginner isn't the best description but neither is advanced and those are the only two options available on kaobase. No doubt someone would complain if the game were listed as advanced but then Dom stopped people entering if they'd played more than 3 WoK 5 games already.

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability