Bjorn
Veteran
Veteran

WOK 5 mining

Post by Bjorn » Sat Oct 18, 2003 4:27 pm

Vampires?
Al's cookie jar?
Let's talk about WOK 5!

In my last couple of games I have been playing with the magic aspect of WOK5. Egbert's amazing island game is a good place to do this because there are a very limited number of conections to each space.

I have collected my mining results over several turns from multiple games into an excell spreadsheet to track it. I have noticed that I ALWAYS have more success mining that I expect. I tried to paste this file in the messge, but HTML is OFF so it won't work. Let's see if I can link to it here from my web site.

http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/gmtom/WOK_Mining.htm

I calculate the expected number of successful mining efforts based on number of workers x 1.5 (because I only mine in mountains) x success rate. Then I add up all the stuff I actually did mine and compare it to this result. I always get more stuff than I expected. At the bottom of each column are the percentages of each item gained based on a successful mining effort. I had to keep the city and non-city spaces separate to make the calculation meaningful.

Has anyone else noted this? Does anyone really care?
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Sat Oct 18, 2003 4:55 pm

That is very interesting !

I cant say if you collected enough data to already say that there is a 'trend' so that mining actually pays off better then expected, but Ill keep watching this thread closely.

And get ya hands off my cookie jar. :P

Funtastick
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Funtastick » Sat Oct 18, 2003 8:13 pm

You know you have no life when...

You know you're addicted to WOK when...

C'mon, someone had to say it!

Bjorn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Bjorn » Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:15 am

Funtastick wrote:You know you have no life when...
You know you're addicted to WOK when...
C'mon, someone had to say it!
This? Chump change! You should see the files I have on this computer related to being the gatekeeper........well, maybe not. :twisted:

I have updated the mining spreadsheet with more information from Egbert 04. It looks like a multiplier of 2 produces a result much closer to the actual result than the stated multiplier of 1.5 in the mountains.
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes