GM Mike's Group 1- New Hope - Turn 2 is out

WOK for Advanced Players

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus

trewqh

GM Mike's Group 1- New Hope - Turn 2 is out

Post by trewqh » Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:14 pm

I'm not sure I will manage to set up a page today but turn 0 should be out not later than on 1st of October. I'll be away until the 29th so don't expect confirmations earlier.

So anyway, e-mail me to join and don't forget to add suggestions concerning:
- which map to use
- in-game settings
- in-game options

GM Mike
/
trewqh
Last edited by trewqh on Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:21 pm

Good news ! :P

I will do a V3.35 release as soon as I can be sure no new suggestions and bug-reports pop up.

V3.35 will be fully compatible to V3.30, so GMs can switch to it even between two Turns of an ongoing Group.

Nestalawe
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Nestalawe » Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:29 pm

I'm up for a WOK5 game, any map (middle earth one is cool...) and without the 8 city win rule and i'm in...
This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality.
Embrace this moment. Remember. We are eternal.
All this pain is an illusion.

Bjorn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Bjorn » Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:46 pm

Raven and Bjorn are ready for another WOK5 game. The Middle Earth map could be very interesting. As for the optional rules settings, I have no preference. Lower TECH for teleport is always fun. I would especially recommend it if you go with a set number of turns for the game. It would be interesting to see how players adjust their usual strategies to a 20 turn game.

What was the official rule on time limits? Is the minimum 20 turns? :aeh:
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:01 pm

Yes, 20 Turns.

I strongly suggest to also use that option in the next Champs.

Btw, this reminds me someone ought to post our latest WSC votes results somewhere, so everyone can read them.

ThinKing

Post by ThinKing » Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:18 pm

gm_al wrote:I strongly suggest to also use that option in the next Champs.

...and I strongly suggest we dont.

The Champs shouldnt be decided by some weird half-game where there might be 4 left standing.

TK

Bjorn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Bjorn » Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:56 pm

Thin_King wrote:The Champs shouldn't be decided by some weird half-game where there might be 4 left standing.
I am in complete agreement. :shock:

I don't believe this would be an issue, as I cannot recall a single clan war of any sort that went beyond about 10 turns.

The absence of crop on the Clan Champs map will impose a time limit of sorts anyway. The last side with corn remaining wins. :roll:
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:39 am

I believe he was talking about the BIG champs game not the clan champs.
but I still agree with TK here that game needs to have a decided victor to it.
There's no need to fear...........
Underdog is here

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:40 pm

I asked for e-mails but here is the list of players signed up for the game by either e-mailing me or posting here or sending me a PM or whatever:
Bjorn
Raven
korexus
TK
Nesty
Calidus

So as you can see 6 players and 3 clans filled so far. Keep those e-mails coming.

GM Mike

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:33 am

Massielita is player number 7. Saladin is on the reserve list, he isn't very willing to play but he'll join as the tenth to let the game start more quickly.

trewqh

Aussie Gaz

Post by Aussie Gaz » Tue Sep 30, 2003 12:06 pm

Trewqh

I will play. Saladin & I should fill out the Kaomarian guard slots.

Aussie Gaz

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:26 am

First, I agree with Bjorn, UD, and even TK (gasp!) in that I believe using the turn-limit option for the Champs would suck hardcore. The Champs may run long, but that is simply because it involves the best players. Whomever is strongest after turn 20 is not necessarily who deserves to win. I don't like the entire turn limit idea at all for that reason and will avoid games it is employed in, and I certainly do not think it should even be considered for the Champs. I know you want to make WOK games shorter Al and I sympathize with that but messing with the Champs in this fashion would be seriously bad mojo.

Now, back on topic, I am considering entering into this WOK 5 game in place of either Bjorn or Raven (we are discussing it). I think I have the ability to play in a game or two at my full power (mwahaha!), so I'm looking to get into at least one WOK 5 one and Mike's is the closest to starting. I really can't do any extra stuff like chair the WSC or even GM still, and I don't think that I am very close to in the future, but I do still have the ability to play at least given my current situation.

I am hesitant, however, because the last GM Mike game I started crashed and burned because of the pop-reset problem. Now I know Mike went above and beyond to try to remedy this, to no avail, and I am assuming that the fact he is opening this game means he has solved the problem. However I have not heard this for sure. Granted I have not been really active for the past month so it may have happened without my noticing, but I wanted to check here for sure before committing to playing. Mike?
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:55 am

I will say this again: it might be a bug that happens when a GM tries to do several WOK5 things at once, like testing a few options, doing some test-runs and then going for the real thing.

I suggested to start the WOK5 manager from scratch when you run your Group. I still need someone to track and REPRODUCE the error in a way that I can actually do it myself in order to get rid of the problem.

Im looking to have V3.35 out by this weekend, it would be nice to have that fix in it.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:44 am

Dameon wrote:I am hesitant, however, because the last GM Mike game I started crashed and burned because of the pop-reset problem. Now I know Mike went above and beyond to try to remedy this, to no avail, and I am assuming that the fact he is opening this game means he has solved the problem. However I have not heard this for sure. Granted I have not been really active for the past month so it may have happened without my noticing, but I wanted to check here for sure before committing to playing. Mike?
This problem, as Al said, hasn't actually been recognized well enough yet. So I can't say I resolved it. I was to open a WOK 4 but several other GM opened those before me so I thought a WOK 5 will be better.

Although I didn't resolve the problem, I can easily promise you that this problem will never cause a rerun because I will never send out turns where POP was reset. I will always check that.

This problem might cause short delays on the other hand when I will see no other option to deal with it than to retype the proper POP-data for a particular turn. You know what I'm talking about, Nick.

So, since I have 2 VOs already than it's really up to you.

Anyone's welcome.

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:51 pm

I guess my question for you then would be why would this game be successful when the last WOK 5 game you ran just kinda shut down? I know there were some issues with reruns there but as I recall even with trying your best and manually typing the data in the game still had enough problems that it ended up stopping. I am not questioning your dedication or your desire to do it right, but it seems like you might be inviting some headaches here if you are going to try to run it. In any case, I trust you and I want to sign up, so I will work out the details with Bjorn and Raven. I can't promise that if the game DOES have a restart or two I will stick around, but I'll do my best to run with it. 8)
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Thu Oct 02, 2003 7:51 am

The reason that the previous game stopped was my HD crashing too often. I don't exactly know what was done about it but my brother tells me this problem is now resolved and it's true that the HD didn't crash since he told me so.

Bjorn e-mailed me. So the current line-up is:
Dameon
Raven
korexus
TK
Nesty
Calidus
Massielita
Aussie Gaz
Saladin (AG told me you will surly play, Sal)

Since it's been over a week since I announced the game, I think I'll start it today or tonight (my time).

GM Mike (CET)

PS If you can't see the game in the Kaobase yet, it means that you can still apply for this 10th spot.

korexus

Post by korexus » Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:57 pm

Erm, Mike? This was a bit interesting;
The enemy has 7 Armies for Defense.
The Basic Level of the enemy is... 1,000

The Defenses of the Province are.. 0,000
The Terrain and City Bonus gives.. 0,200
-----------------------------------------
The enemy Defense Level is = 0,200

°° The enemy has an Effectiveness Level of 80%
°° Your enemy has a starting Defense Power (PDEF) of 8,640

While I quite like the idea of neutrals I attack not having any defence so more of my armies survive, I assume this happened for everone else so it's not so great after all!

Did anyone else find this happened? If so (or if not) what do we do about it? - I suppose with no player conflict a re-run wouldn't be so bad, but still not a great idea.

Also is this going to turn out to be a variation on the infamous "pop bug" or is it yet another problem?

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:57 pm

Well this calls for a re-run for sure.

I guess i'm not allowed to slip in some orders this time? :roll:
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

korexus

Post by korexus » Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:20 pm

Only if we can all change ours :twisted:
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:59 pm

:shock: ... :? ... :bigcry:

I have no idea what this is.

The Province Data tool shows 0.2 dfs at the beginning of turn 1 for neutrals. This is not what it should be at the beginning of turn 1, right?

For turn 2, the neutrals that you took managed to produce 0.1 dfs and neutrals that weren't taken, again have 0.2 dfs. I know this is not right.

I assume it is a form of of the pop bug. And I have no idea what to do about it except to re-type the proper dfs data for the beginning of turn 1 and re-run turn 1.

:bigcry:
trewqh