GM Mike's Group 1- New Hope - Turn 2 is out

WOK for Advanced Players

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:16 pm

16 workers will produce 0.2 defense, even in the initial turn that you ran.

I dont see the 'bug' in all this. maybe you can clear that up for me ?

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:53 pm

gm_al wrote:16 workers will produce 0.2 defense, even in the initial turn that you ran.

I dont see the 'bug' in all this. maybe you can clear that up for me ?
When you run the manager for the first time for a particular INI neutrals already have 0.3 dfs. So since they produce more during turn 00 (which I am aware of, since it's the same case as with WOK 4) at the beginning of turn 1 they should have 0.5 dfs. In my game when I load the data from the beginning of turn 01 I see that neutals have 0.2 dfs. Also now, when turn 1 was run, (so at the beginning of turn 2) untouched neutrlas again have 0.2 dfs and provinces freshly acquired by players have 0.1 dfs (I did not yet check what's the situation with dfs in home provinces).

So it seems that although the Province Data tool shows proper values the Manager sets dfs to 0.0 when it runs the turn thus giving those provinces only what the workers will produce. There is a difference fom the POP bug I had. POP values were reset to initial values while now dfs is brought to 0.0.

That's it.

trewqh
PS Still :bigcry:

ThinKing

Post by ThinKing » Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:39 pm

trewqh wrote:And I have no idea what to do about it except to re-type the proper dfs data for the beginning of turn 1 and re-run turn 1.
How about this;

Let all the neutrals have no DEF.

It wouldnt really harm the game in any way.

TK

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:51 pm

Kermit, send me Turn#0 and Turn#1 data files before you run anything again. I need to check this.

The pattern seems to be the same, and because it only affects YOUR games it might be you do something wrong after all.... we will figure that out and if its a bug we will squish it !

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:31 am

The neutrals having no defense NOW makes little difference, but it certainly could later in the game. ANd what happens if this same bug appears in player combat? THAT would definetely be a problem. Bah! I just mailed Mike about this without checking the boards first, obviously the problem has been spotted, but if it is another manifistation of the pop problem I hate to think what might happen next.
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Aussie Gaz

Post by Aussie Gaz » Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:55 am

Could the problem have anything to do with Gm Mikes windows settings.

All of his settings use a comma rather than a full stop as the divider

DFS 0,2 instead of 0.2

Just a thought.

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:09 pm

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT !!

Ive been preaching this a dozen times - the WOK5 manager is done with the US version of the VB6 Devkit (no questions plz) and needs the '.' instead of ',' as standard divider in order to work.

The manager will not treat a '2,004' like a '2.004' !!!

This may indeed have been all the cause of trouble !

What happened ? 0,3 Defense was seen as ZERO, so the DFS was reset ! Because "," also is a separator (!), other values went the wrong way.... seems the POP bug is cleared !!

Thanx a trillion Aussie, we know what to do now.

TREWQH, do the following:

* Go into Start/Settings/System/Regional settings and change the separtor to be '.'
* Run the turn again and check that it uses the '.'

AUSSIE GAZ for WOK president !! 8)

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:32 pm

I now added this important information to the reference guide that comes along with the WOK5 Manager.

Im pretty sure we had this '.' topic before, maybe TREWQH wasnt around when it first came up and so we didnt think of it again.

:P

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:10 am

Wow Gaz great catch! I would have never noticed that. The Manager does work in mysterious ways, so even though pop has no comma in the value numbers, using it elsewhere in the programming may indeed be causing the bug as well. I hope this is it- eager to hear if it works Mike! 8)
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:26 pm

I changed that comma into a fullstop.

But don't I have to restart the whole game anyway?
The earliest dat file I have is for the beginning of turn 1 so with already corrupted DEF data.

trewqh

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:31 pm

Actually - the good news is that you dont have to. :P

I looked up the code from the manager in detail, and I also checked the .DAT files you have been sending.

Trying to avoid the COMMA BUG (as we will call it from now on) I had changed the structure of the saved data in an earlier version (this was actually quite useless, because the manager still treats every operation differently while processing the Turn).

So the .DAT file contains all relevant game data, but the level of Provinces troops is actually saved as lev(x)*1000 and the defense a dfs(x)*10 - this helped me avoid using points or coma when saving values in .DAT files.

So the file structure from Turn#01 seems quite ok to me (just check Province#70 and Player#10 in details) all you hopefully need to do is change the defense value to their real values (0.5 after Turn#0, right ?)

Then re-run the Turn. :P

PS: funny thing - Kermit did you notice that in your initial posting you used the point and not the comma to explain values ? Yet only AG noticed the bug in the setup of the Turn reports..... congratulations again man, you saved me some sleep.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:15 pm

OK. The turn is rerun and all seems to be good.

Thanks a lot for the help Aussie and Al. You're helpful as always, wether it's kitchen electricity or WOK 5 GMing. :)

trewqh

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:18 am

Turn 2 is out and everything IS fine this time. I checked POP, LEV and DEF values. They are as they should be.

Btw, since there are 'decimals' and 'centimals' would a number on the third space behind the dot be called a 'milimal' in English?

trewqh