Come on, you didn't think it would be that easy, now, did you? :wink:
"Fairy tales can come true,
They can happen to you,
If you're young at heart."

Bjorn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Bjorn » Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:52 pm

Hmmm. Come to think of it, when was the last time I heard the words "Egbert" and "easy" in the same sentence? :roll:

It is a small matter, since adding more than two neutrals in a turn would probably require inside information or good fortune. One reason to sign up for a game like this is to curtail my urge to "overplan" a turn. The more flexible your plan here, the better.
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Sat Aug 30, 2003 7:34 pm

In keeping with the theme of not knowing where the walls are, I guess we will also be kept in the dark about where the POP is. I can't find a link to a POP file anywhere, so if someone knows about this are they willing to share that knowledge?
I have it all and you can't have any.
There's no need to fear...........
Underdog is here

Bjorn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Bjorn » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:50 pm

Underdog wrote: I have it all and you can't have any.
It doesn't do any good to have it all if you can't get to it. :lol:
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Post by Egbert » Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:48 pm

http://www.kaomaris.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=618

This is another link running on the game, just to let everyone know.
They can happen to you,

Bjorn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Bjorn » Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:55 pm

You're killing me with OOP, Eg! Killing me! As long as Fredo goes after me in the OOP I can't commit 100% to the attack. Just ONCE I would like to go after him in the OOP. :bigcry: :nicesmash:

Yeah, yeah. Beat up the crybaby.

Lord Fredo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lord Fredo » Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:56 pm

:shock: You should be glad you don't go last in the OOP and can commit 100% to your attacks. Look at me, I went last and a lot of good it did me. :wink:

Bjorn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Bjorn » Sat Sep 27, 2003 2:08 am

Arrrgghhh!!!! Even checking those stinking orders twice I STILL miswrote it and left the archers out of the attack. I HATE it when I do that. :evil:

But, next time I follow the BoV clan head in the OOP. This should be good. I wonder what nasty surprise awaits me on the other side of the Great Wall now? :kane:

>> You seek to get a full report from a Spy in a Province.
>> #21 is a neighbor. You have a chance of 78% to succeed.
** Your Spy failed to infiltrate the Target...
** You loose 2% Effectiveness...

There is at least one consistant aspect to my games. My luck with spying is miserable. :furious:

Bjorn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Bjorn » Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:21 pm

:scatter:
HEY! Skankerad! I'm over here now....... :division:

Is it just me, or has the map not been updated for turn 11? I liberated 20 from the Skanerad, while he has now subjugated #22 and #27.

But, this is only a temporary situation. Next turn should get very interesing. The OOP has been much kinder to me recently. (Except for that stinking clan war).

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Post by Egbert » Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:57 am

Bjorn wrote:Is it just me, or has the map not been updated for turn 11?
Oops. :oops: I knew I had forgotten to do something. Okay, it's updated.
They can happen to you,

Bjorn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Bjorn » Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:46 am

The dust settles, the story ends.

Well, that was fun. It is difficult to believe that this was the first WOK5 for Skankerad. He played an excellent game. In order to win you have to catch a break or two and hope to survive the bad breaks. I caught a big break when I overcame his defenses the second time I drove south to his starting city. I was also fortunate to break his spy code just after he attacked me.

Thanks to Korexus and Underdog for the map info. Allister would have had a difficult time without it. Discovering Massies spy code after Skankerad had been exiled to Duke's starting city was a big break.

Egbert, another great job as GM. The map was a little odd, in that the only N/S connection was the pass from the forest to the desert. Once Underdog let me in on that little bit of information I knew that any chance of me getting a solo win was gone. Since I was already fighting both Skankerad and Massie in the South, I had to make a deal with AF to let him through my areas to get any help at all against them. It was really only a matter of waiting to see if Underdog or AF came out on top over there.

I think the map confers an unfair advantage to those players in the corners. There are only a limited number of spaces to go to from the corner, while the guys in the center positions have so many options on the first couple of turns they are unlikely to gain more than one province. I was again lucky getting out of my corner and into province #16 ahead of Lord Fredo. If he beats me to it then he probably comes out of our corner.

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Post by Egbert » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:44 pm

:D It took quite a while to draw a map that I thought would be fair for everyone. I think the disadvantage of being in the middle of the map is the same even for a regular map --- more neighbors to worry about. The whole purpose of the map, besides being interesting and fun, was to have a WOK5 game where players were forced to build up (sleep) at the beginning of the game, so all players could gain the whole "WOK5 experience," rather than being RIPped early. I hope all of the players got something out of that. That is why certain parts of the map had been "closed off."

I thought of putting clues in the province names, since I thought the game may be too difficult and frustrating without hints. As it turned out, I needed to give several hints before most everyone figured out how to decipher the province names. I really enjoyed creating the map and running the game. It was also quite amusing to see how the players handled the situation. Bjorn's storyline on the messageboards was quite a treat as well. I will also be updating the map on the game page, so everyone can see the maze.

I am now going to take it easy and get ready for the Champs game. I'll go back to GM'ing when I am out of the game. Thanks to everyone for playing!
They can happen to you,

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:50 pm

Egbert wrote:I am now going to take it easy and get ready for the Champs game. I'll go back to GM'ing when I am out of the game.
But...but...that could take months!!!

Note to the other champs players...go for Eggie if you want to stand a change at winning (and we'll have some more great GM-ed games by Eg). :D
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Post by Egbert » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:15 pm

Saladin wrote:
Egbert wrote:I am now going to take it easy and get ready for the Champs game. I'll go back to GM'ing when I am out of the game.
But...but...that could take months!!!

Note to the other champs players...go for Eggie if you want to stand a chance at winning (and we'll have some more great GM-ed games by Eg). :D
Oops. I guess I shouldn't have said that! :lipssealed:

Anyway........ the map is updated! Please visit the game page if you'd like to see the maze.
They can happen to you,

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:08 pm

Wow.... Eg is already starting to meditate and 'prepare' for the Champs 3 weeks ahead of having them started.

I do not envy the other participants. Watch your back.

Bjorn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Bjorn » Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:43 pm

Saladin wrote: Note to the other champs players...go for Eggie if you want to stand a chance at winning.
Well, with Scholars Raw, Thin King and Korexus on the short list to play in the champs, that could be a tall order. I'm not sure what we are going to do for a GM for the champs, either. GM Taker would be my vote, but I don't know how he feels about that.

korexus

Post by korexus » Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:57 am

Bjorn wrote:Well, with Scholars Raw, Thin King and Korexus on the short list to play in the champs, that could be a tall order.
Shh! We're hoping no one will notice! :wink:
Bjorn wrote: I'm not sure what we are going to do for a GM for the champs, either. GM Taker would be my vote, but I don't know how he feels about that.
Taker did a fine job of the clan champs. I'll second that if he doesn't mind too much...

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:34 am

korexus wrote:
Bjorn wrote:Well, with Scholars Raw, Thin King and Korexus on the short list to play in the champs, that could be a tall order.
Shh! We're hoping no one will notice! :wink:
'Cause last year, TKG had four players and that didn't help them since they were the ones ganged up on. :P

trewqh

korexus

Post by korexus » Sun Dec 14, 2003 6:43 pm

Exactly. It's so hard to sleep when people keep attacking us! :x

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability