WOK for Advanced Players

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus

Egbert
Commander
Commander

New Game --- The Island of Amazement!

Post by Egbert » Mon Jul 28, 2003 2:51 pm

http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/egbert/group4.html

:twisted: How well do you think you know the WOK5 engine?

Well, head towards the above site, and sign up! Let's see if you can get through this maze, trying to figure out which provinces are neighbors, and which aren't. Entering into NAPs and working out borders should prove very interesting. :crazy:

I'm here to answer all your questions.
"Fairy tales can come true,
They can happen to you,
If you're young at heart."

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:03 pm

Egbert...you're the new map making king! :lol:
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:50 pm

But is there a pattern?

trewqh
trewqh
the gleefully aggressive Vulking

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:08 pm

And my guess is that the maze solution will be revealed when the INI comes out for the map after the game, right ?? Or will the borders after the game then be just like we see them now ?

Good idea though. So what, does the WOK world champ now seek to be the map champ too ?? :roll:

*takes note to re-start that 'map of the year' contest sometimes*

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:37 pm

Saladin wrote:Egbert...you're the new map making king! :lol:
Hey! When did I get dethroned? I think I'm still quite a few maps in front of Egbert after all. (kicks Sal out of WoT) :wink:
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:59 am

There's one big difference Nick...Egbert's last map was a wok 4 map, so i could enjoy it as well. :D

The simple fact that i joined the Wheel of Time (Wok 5 :( ) game should be prove enough for you that i really enjoy your maps as well.

I think i'll convert that map in a wok 4 map sometime. :)
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

Bjorn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Bjorn » Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:51 pm

Very, very interesting. I can take a pretty good shot at the Northern provinces, but there is still going to be some guessing.

Knowing what I know about the WOK engine, may I assume that the walls are high enough that GCA's cannot be fired over them?

I'd join, but I am going on vacation next week and would not want to delay it from starting.
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Post by Egbert » Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:42 pm

Bjorn wrote:Knowing what I know about the WOK engine, may I assume that the walls are high enough that GCA's cannot be fired over them?
Any provinces with real walls between them are considered non-neighbors. So, unless the provinces are within 3 numbers of each other, the GCAs won't make it over the wall. :wink:

For those who are wondering about why we are discussing the "WOK5 Engine," it is a bit different from the WOK4 Engine. For example, in WOK4, you are only allowed to put in a certain number of attack orders (based upon your Tech) whether they are valid attack orders or not. In WOK5, you can put in "alternative" attack orders in case you "hit a wall." 8) Hint, hint. There are also other things you can do to figure out where walls are, without running into them. But I'll let you figure them out.
Bjorn wrote:I'd join, but I am going on vacation next week and would not want to delay it from starting.
Fair enough, Bjorn. But if the waitlist is still open when you get back, please feel free to email me for a spot.
They can happen to you,

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:50 pm

Walls..... Use attacks, yep, or maybe movement orders *hint, hint*.

You didnt answer my question though Eg ? Will the map be revealed/changed once the game is over ?

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:12 pm

I would think that this map could be endlessly recycled as you just need to adjust which provinces neighbour each other in the ini file.

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Post by Egbert » Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:37 pm

gm_al wrote:Walls..... Use attacks, yep, or maybe movement orders *hint, hint*.
Al, don't give away all the secrets! :wink:
gm_al wrote:You didnt answer my question though Eg ? Will the map be revealed/changed once the game is over ?
I am going to leave the INI file as is, when the game is over. I will also darken the walls (on the game page only) once the game is over, so everyone can see the maze. But, as Sal says, any other GM can redo the maze, by just changing the INI files. Bryk's WOK Map Assistant makes it super easy to do this.
They can happen to you,

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:53 pm

Egbert wrote:For those who are wondering about why we are discussing the "WOK5 Engine," it is a bit different from the WOK4 Engine. For example, in WOK4, you are only allowed to put in a certain number of attack orders (based upon your Tech) whether they are valid attack orders or not. In WOK5, you can put in "alternative" attack orders in case you "hit a wall." 8) Hint, hint.
I'm a bit confused. From what I remember WOK 4 engine also counts only performed attacks so with 0 tech you can put in 7 orders if you so wish. How is that different from WOK5?

trewqh
trewqh

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:31 pm

WOK4 only will take the first 3-7 attack orders into account (according to Tech), no matter if they are valid/successful or not.
WOK5 also has the Tech limit, but it will only count SUCCESSFUL (= valid) attack orders towards that limit. So if you can do 3 attacks you may put more then 3 orders in preparation that the first ones put will maybe go wrong.

Polymorphic
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Polymorphic » Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:00 pm

Is that a bug or a 'feature' of the Wok4 engine?

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:21 am

gm_al wrote:WOK4 only will take the first 3-7 attack orders into account (according to Tech), no matter if they are valid/successful or not.
WOK5 also has the Tech limit, but it will only count SUCCESSFUL (= valid) attack orders towards that limit. So if you can do 3 attacks you may put more then 3 orders in preparation that the first ones put will maybe go wrong.
Are you sure?! :P

I know that I have used 'alternative' attack orders in WOK 4, but I am unsure how many tech I had or if (maybe) the first most likely set of orders just worked out.

Anyway it's good to know that. Is this explicitly stated in the manual?

trewqh
trewqh

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:23 am

Polymorphic wrote:Is that a bug or a 'feature' of the Wok4 engine?
As the WOK 4 engine will not be updated anymore (anyway that's what Al is always saying), then I think we can say that it's just how it works.

trewqh
trewqh

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:15 am

trewqh wrote:
gm_al wrote:WOK4 only will take the first 3-7 attack orders into account (according to Tech), no matter if they are valid/successful or not.
Are you sure?! :P

trewqh
ROTFLM! trewqh you crack me up...asking Al if he's sure about how the program actually works. You should be a stand up comedian. :lol:

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:05 am

Actually Sal, sometimes I dont even remember my own code.... I had a few questions that were so specific that I had first to read 10 times to understand them and then look them up deep in the code to abe able to give answers.... :roll:

With so many parameters and other programs Im working on its easy to forget stuff. (And Im getting old of course)

The WOK4 limitation is certainly not a feature and yes, Im pretty sure it once came up already so it should be explicitely stated in the WOK4 manual.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:38 am

gm_al wrote:With so many parameters and other programs Im working on its easy to forget stuff.
That's what I generally thought however in this case I assumed that Al knew what he was saying so it was a joke.

trewqh
trewqh

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:05 pm

gm_al wrote:With so many parameters and other programs Im working on its easy to forget stuff. (And Im getting old of course)
*Shudders at the thought of the creator not being infallible* :shock:

Kneels down at his little WoK shrine and says his mantra: 'There's no other game than WoK and Al is it's creator'. :worship: