I started this thread so we could get some banter about the champs goin'

SF
God of WOK

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Sun Dec 15, 2002 1:35 am

Champs: my money is always on Massie.

Vice-Champs: Thuggee have an almost perfect draw, but DS in the south will take care about that :wink: So my money on my Clan members !

SmashFace

Post by SmashFace » Sun Dec 15, 2002 1:43 am

Come on Al, i thought you were smarter than that Massie's sorrounded by the greatest clan ever! :wink: :D

As for the Vice champs.. i'd have put my money on TBert, but he missed the dealine to reply by a day :(, so i'll put my Money on .......:gossip: ....nobody yet, I'll wait till turn 1 :cheers:
God of WOK

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Sun Dec 15, 2002 2:12 am

Champs: My money is on a TKG. Probably Saladin or Gaz. I mean four clan members in a game- how much of an edge do you need going in really? :roll:
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Raw
Commander
Commander

Post by Raw » Sun Dec 15, 2002 2:37 am

I would like the odds on each player to win the Champs game, just want to know who the sure bets are and who the long shots are?

Cheers,
Raw
It's not fast unless its got a fart can.

Raw
Commander
Commander

Post by Raw » Sun Dec 15, 2002 2:42 am

Since I started this I will post what I think are the odds.

Egbert 2-1
Saladin 3-1
AG 3-1
Smashface 3-1
GH 4-1
Massielita 4-1
Duke 6-1
Nemesis 8-1
Raw 10-1
Tomb Raider 1000-1
It's not fast unless its got a fart can.

SmashFace

Post by SmashFace » Sun Dec 15, 2002 2:50 am

Egbert 2-1
Saladin 3-1
GH 3-1
Nemesis 4-1
AG 4-1
Raw 4-1
Duke 5-1
Massielita 7-1
SmashFace 7-1
TR 100000000-1
God of WOK

SmashFace

Post by SmashFace » Sun Dec 15, 2002 5:58 am

it has begun, and she isn't gonna live past this turn, so i don't think its so cruel.

SF
God of WOK

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Sun Dec 15, 2002 3:58 pm

Egbert 2-1
Smashface 3-1
Saladin 3-1
Raw 4-1
GH 4-1
AG 5-1
Duke 5-1
Nemesis 6-1
Massielita 10000-1
Tomb Raider NO ODDS
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Sun Dec 15, 2002 5:17 pm

Clans do mess the Champs up. How hard is it for a clan to win a game with four players starting really? I think these Champs are going to turn into a clan war soon anyway. Which, as you said Roland, defeats the purpose of the Individual Champs. I'm glad I decided to run this one that much is for sure. I'm only going to play in future Champs if no more than 2 players from any clan gets into it, so it can be a true test of individual skill.
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Sun Dec 15, 2002 5:53 pm

1. Even if some 4 players are not from one clan they can still form an alliance and after defeating the other 6 fight it out among themslves. (This is the case with the champs)

2. The game (every wok game not only the champs)will never be a test of individual skills if you have a fixed ally. But on the other hand... (look point 3)

3. You do have to show some skill to win some games and get to the top10, don't you?

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Sun Dec 15, 2002 6:15 pm

Very well said Trewqh!

Dameon you said it yourself...it's an individual championship...nobody care about which CLAN wins...only one player can win this game and that player will have to defeat all the other players in order to win. Now we have four clan members in the game...that's very nice...what's also very nice is that i have a good relationship with Eg, Nemesis, Raw and Goat Herder...

As Trewqh said...people will form alliances in the champs in order to increase their chance of winning. I think if i hadn't been in TKG i would probably be working together with SF, Eg, Nemesis and Raw so no matter what i would be working together with people. nobody wins the champs on their own. Now if Massi should win these clan champs it will be totally on his own, but that won't happen i guarentee you. :D

And even if 4 TKG players get to be the last 4 players on the board (which i seriously doubt) they will still have to fight each other as only one can win.

And of course...it's not even sure the strongest player wins as in the end luck plays a big part as well. :P

Yes i said the L word...let the flaming begin. :D
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Sun Dec 15, 2002 7:38 pm

Each individual reaching the finals has merit in having done so.

Having 4 from a Clan in it just speaks about the Clans overall performance (although this is not really true for such a young Clan). Of course most likely the four Players might ally, but the other 6 KNOW THAT TOO and will react, dont you believe ?

And Nickyboy, if you wanted to do something about it you could have joined the Champs - would have reduced the Clan members to three, no ?

There can only be one.

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Sun Dec 15, 2002 10:59 pm

Oh sure Al, if the other 6 players have a friendly relationship. That's assuming a lot. And as you pointed out, having 4 TKG in the finals speaks nothing about how good their clan is, for obvious reasons. The question is, does being part of a good clan make you a better individual player? Hell, if I really wanted to play in the Champs, I would have joined TKG when it was created like my clanmates did and there would have been five players from one clan in the finals! And wouldn't that have been fun?

And Al, please don't be silly. Look at HiScore. If I played, I would have knocked poor GH off, not one of the TKG brood. I didn't fancy trying my hand in the Champs only to have bad luck like TR did and get stuck between 2 clanmates- and with 4 of them starting in the game the odds of that aren't that bad.

All that being said however- I still think the clan system is great. It does what it is supposed to do and I am happy with how it has turned out and helped the community grow. Roland is correct in that it really ruins the idea of a individual champ, of course, but that's a small sacrifice to make for the good of the community really.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Sun Dec 15, 2002 11:00 pm

gm_al wrote:Of course most likely the four Players might ally, but the other 6 KNOW THAT TOO and will react, dont you believe ?
And this is also an argument for regular games. I mean the rule of two players per clan which I don't like. (see also 'New Guard' thread at Clan Stuff).
The way I see it the clan system that we have surly helps beginners but also it has features that limit advanced players.
My opinions how abolishing the 2 players per clan rule would make the social aspect of WoK better can be found in my reply to New Guard thread. [I know this last sentence sounds a bit political but it is easier to me to write in such a manner :) ]

SmashFace

Post by SmashFace » Mon Dec 16, 2002 12:26 am

PEOPLE PEOPLE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :swearing: :swearing: i wanted banter about the championship game, not the rules of the champs or how many player from the same clan are in it. NOW PLEASE GET BACK TO BANTER ABOUT THE GAME!!! this fighting is just BS anyways, any more predictions?????
God of WOK