Champs!

WOK for Advanced Players

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Post by Egbert » Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:24 pm

(Egbert collapses from exhaustion)

Well, I really don't know what to say. I thank goodness that Raw is a Scholar, because he is quite an adversary. I really felt that we should have had a co-championship this year --- he really deserved it. We employed strategies that really may never be used in a regular WOK5 game, since we had gone "where no one has gone before" --- no corn, almost no pop, 1% EFFs, etc. Honorable mention goes to GoatHerder, who kept my attention most of the time with his clever strategy and unbelievable LU**. :wink:

To give you an idea of how taxing this game was on me --- about 3 weeks ago, I actually started suffering from sharp pains on the side of my head, mostly at night, which just wouldn't go away. I almost never go to a doctor, but I had to go for this --- I had him stumped. He sent me for a CT Scan, which is basically an xray of your head, in the event it may be a tumor or something similar. Luckily, they found nothing (insert joke here). The doctor concluded that it must be stress, and asked me if I've been in any stressful situations lately. :roll: Well, I was too embarrassed to explain the WOK championship, but I have the feeling that it is a contributor. We'll see if my headaches disappear now.

That was one heck of a game Raw --- thanks.
"Fairy tales can come true,
They can happen to you,
If you're young at heart."

Raw
Commander
Commander

Post by Raw » Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:01 pm

LOL !!!!!!!

That was the funniest thing I have heard in a long time!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great game Champ!

-Raw
It's not fast unless its got a fart can.

Goat Herder
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Goat Herder » Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:18 am

Great game Eg & Raw.

Yes-those "neutral" provinces were mine before I decided to leave the game. They had anywhere from 0 to about 300 POP, not many workers and maybe 100 armies all up, all low level. Not much use to anyone, as I expect both Eg & Raw had heaps of POP anyway. In a game like this, it doesn't really matter how many provinces or POP you have, it's your ability to destroy the enemy's armies. With Eg running around with armies at LVL9+ he was going to be hard to beat, although by my estimation Raw probably had more armies (at lower level I expect). Is that right, folks?

To Raw -- sorry I quit! I hope you don't feel like I let you down. I had helped Eg early on by selling him cheap resources, and you in the late game by harassing Eg, so it evens out my contribution a bit (although still much more in favour of Raw). In the end I was reduced to playing a spoiling game, making Eg waste spells & GCAs & attack orders, but decided that wasn't really appropriate to help decide the winner of the Champs, which is a contest of the best player rather than the best clanmates.

I thought at the time that I left that Raw had a very good chance of taking out the game. Obviously came close, but not quite. Congratulation EG on the great game. Well played everybody (dangnabbit you Duke!), and thanks to Nick for an enjoyable game.
Live long and prosper ---- but don't let the Taxation Department know.

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Post by Egbert » Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:17 am

Goat Herder wrote:With Eg running around with armies at LVL9+ he was going to be hard to beat, although by my estimation Raw probably had more armies (at lower level I expect). Is that right, folks?
That's correct, GH. Raw had a huge number of armies, but fortunately, I was able to eventually get to his economy (I had to do it twice, actually --- the guy won't stay down!).
Goat Herder wrote:To Raw -- sorry I quit! I hope you don't feel like I let you down. I had helped Eg early on by selling him cheap resources, and you in the late game by harassing Eg, so it evens out my contribution a bit (although still much more in favour of Raw). In the end I was reduced to playing a spoiling game, making Eg waste spells & GCAs & attack orders, but decided that wasn't really appropriate to help decide the winner of the Champs, which is a contest of the best player rather than the best clanmates.
GH, you really had me at wit's end. I just couldn't get a handle on Raw with you continually running around and bombing me, taking my undefended provinces, and spying on me 5 times per turn. To top it off, your luck seemed incredible. I think there were about 10 straight turns where you got to move ahead of me in the OoP. And those battle outcomes were enough to make a grown man cry. I certainly appreciate your letting us finally decide the Champs 1-to-1.
"Fairy tales can come true,
They can happen to you,
If you're young at heart."

Goat Herder
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Goat Herder » Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:37 pm

Egbert wrote:To top it off, your luck seemed incredible. I think there were about 10 straight turns where you got to move ahead of me in the OoP.
Your not quite right on that point. If you look at the turn reports, quite a few of them were with you going first, except my troops were out of reach (ie. next to your empty provinces). I don't like using the word luck, except when someone beats me against overwhelming odds :?
Live long and prosper ---- but don't let the Taxation Department know.

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:37 am

I do have to disagree with you there Eg- GH didn't really get all THAT lucky. You didn't decide to go after him right away, and then when you did, he managed to stay one step ahead, even though he wasn't always ahead in OOP. I'd say it was a lot of skill that enabled him to survive as long as he did. 8)
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."