GM Wilfred's group 08 - Southern Reaches

WOK for Advanced Players

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus

Saladin

GM Wilfred's group 08 - Southern Reaches

Post by Saladin » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:44 pm

Time for a new advanced wok (WOK 5) game!

We've got 8 players and a map with 20 cities, so the fighting should be brutal!

Some special rules do apply, namely the bad weather rule and teleport will be possible at tech level 7.

Also all players start in a city, with the same amount of pop and the same tribe (Femma). And finally if you have crops than you got a planter spell if you have trees then you got a nourish spell.

Could all players please check if i've got their e-mail addresses right on this page? If you haven't gotten your turn report with in the next hour or so, please mail me.

http://www.romeyn-mode.nl/kaomaris/group8/group8.html
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

korexus

Post by korexus » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:02 pm

Woohoo, a new game! :greenbounce:

You know I really enjoyed opening a turn report. Maybe we lost some of the excitement when we automated Standard WoK?

Right, let's see if I can remember how this game works.

By the way, Sal, could you change player 10 back to blue in the players' table? Thanks.

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:12 pm

I hope everyone has fun with this game and we can get regular advanced wok games played again...maybe Chris might even automate it. :D

Also feel free to add a bit of fantasy story telling here like in some of the older wok 5 games ( for instance http://www.kaomaris.com/phpNuke/modules ... opic&t=618).

It always adds a lot of flavour to the game and makes it a lot more fun, even for outsiders who aren't even playing in the game.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

trewqh

Re: GM Wilfred's group 08 - Southern Reaches

Post by trewqh » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:42 pm

Romeyn Tailors? :D

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:02 pm

Yeah i didn't have the log-in info for my own webspace at hand so i put it on my work site. No telling my boss though! ;)

Hryllantre
Veteran
Veteran

Inputting orders WoK 5

Post by Hryllantre » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:37 pm

I have an odd request!!!

Would someone please send me a copy of a completed SAOF for an Advanced game (if that's possible)...

The concept of WoK 5 seems brilliant and I'd like to learn quickly whilst not making silly mistakes inputting orders...

Any explanation accompanying it would be brills. I'll understand if that's not possible as I myself don't have a lot of spare time either...

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:16 pm

Hi Hryllantre,

You probably already found the rules and all the reference charts here:

http://www.kaomaris.com/phpNuke/modules ... ink&cid=24

I sadly don't have a filled in AOF...i could send you Korexus' for next turn, but i guess i'd better not. :)

I'll have a look at home at what i've still got in my old wok folders and mail it to you!

Lardmaster
Commander
Commander

Post by Lardmaster » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:41 pm

The official banter link doesn't seem to work.
Question everything.

Hryllantre
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Hryllantre » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:16 pm

Thanks Sal

TBert
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TBert » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:47 am

dangnabbit. Something was telling me to check out Ye Olde Wok Page last week, but I didn't, and now I missed out on a game. Now next time I'll be the only guy that hasn't played Wok5 in a year or two.
pro libertate eos occubuisse - "they died for liberty"

Clan Head - Valn Ohtar

SGT - US Army

23-year-old father of 3 - really needs a beer

Aussie Gaz

Post by Aussie Gaz » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:15 am

Saladin

I just had a close look at my turn (to get my orders done).

You have the wrong setting on your computer. The decimal divider must be set to a "." instead of a ","

I am not sure if this will mess up turn 1 (maybe Korexus will know).

Tbert may also want to take over one of the missing spots.

Quote below from Als' notes.

WOK5 uses an american devkit of VB6. Therefore people from Europe etc. need to check one setting regarding the divider of numbers. What does this mean ?

The manager will not interpret a value like 2,004 the same way as 2.004 – in fact you MUST use the ‘.’ as your standard divider in Wiindows (like the US guys do)

To check your settings:
 click Start/Settings/System/Regional settings
 make sure that ‘.’ is set as the standard divider (and not ‘,’) for numbers

When you print out your first Turn Report, check that they use the ‘.’ to separte numbers (ie. Defense of 0.3)

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:47 pm

Guys,

Since the first turn hasn't run yet, would anybody have any objections if Tbert took one of the two free spots we have left? Everything else in the game would stay the same.

Gaz, i'll set the decimal point in my windows settings...but it just feels WRONG. :D

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:47 am

I have no objection to TBert joining. You may also ask Raw to play, I think he might.

I especially don't have an objection considering that you'll have to restart the game I think. The Decimals are already as commas. When it goes to call that information when you run the turn, the old data report is wrong. In any case, I just finished doing orders. So if you could keep the starting spaces the same that'd be sweet :lol:
The scars remind us that the past is real.

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:04 am

Also... whatever is finally decided, please let us know via e-mail. I will be on vacation all week. I'll have my computer with me, but I doubt I'll be too worried about checking in on you schmucks :P
The scars remind us that the past is real.

korexus

Post by korexus » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:16 pm

Well, it would certainly change my plans if Tbert took the spot near me, I imagine the same goes for players near the other blank spot. We'd also need yet more time for diplomacy...

Personally, I'd prefer not, we've already been waiting an age for the game to kick off. As for the commas issue, run turn 1 before panicking, I never was convinced by that whole comma bug argument that Al threw out.

Chris.

TBert
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TBert » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:10 pm

I don't want to interrupt everybody's diplomacy and orders if not everybody agrees, I don't have a problem waiting (I deserve it for not checking in at least once every 6 months).
pro libertate eos occubuisse - "they died for liberty"

Clan Head - Valn Ohtar

SGT - US Army

23-year-old father of 3 - really needs a beer

korexus

Post by korexus » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:04 pm

Heh, I'm just being grumpy because blue being a QUIT player puts me in a much nicer position than you being there. :P

If you do join in, I think we'll need a complete restart though. New random starting places, more time for diplomacy, etc, etc. I'm really not keen on hunting down Raw because he may or may not want to play, that's just going to add even more time to wait...

Also, Sal. If you want players' opinions, you're going to have to mail everyone. Not everyone checks thse boards as often as you and me

korexus.

SmashFace

Post by SmashFace » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:20 pm

i second that kor i am also voting against tbert joining. sorry buddy but i've been waiting too long to play WOK V
God of WOK

Calidus
Commander
Commander

Post by Calidus » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:25 pm

I am with Kor and SF. If we let those other guys play, we need to re-run the initial turn, to give everyone a chance to a fresh board.

-Calidus

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:51 pm

Well seeing that not everybody is in favour of adding Tbert to this game i think it's best to continue the game as it is now.

Though i or if somebody else wants to have a go will start a new advanced wok game some time soon for people to join.

I'm ready to run the turn but am still missing 3 sets of orders. I wouldn't like for three players to go M-1 on the first turn. So i'll mail them privately to remind them of the deadline. I'll postpone the deadline to tomorrow evening to give these guys a chance to get their orders in.