GM Wippo Group#01_Deutschland

WOK for Advanced Players

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus

Brykovian

Post by Brykovian » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:17 am

Saladin wrote:Another thing i learned here is that nobody really seems to care wether or not you break naps or not. It doesn't seem to have any consequences with most other players.
Well, that's not entirely accurate, Sal ... just about *every* player cares when they're the one currently wearing the knife between their shoulder blades. ;)

It's just when it's their knife (or when they are completely unaffected) that they pitch the "it's no big deal" spiel.

-Bryk
Matt Worden Games ... Gem Raider, DareBase, Castle Danger, Keeps & Moats Chess

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:33 am

He he...well said Bryk. :P
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Xarfei
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Xarfei » Thu May 05, 2005 7:09 pm

GAME OVER!

TK and Donut walk home with 1.5VPs each.

Report:
Dameon got jumped on by Raw and TK and not surprisingly was taken out early. Smashface suffered the same fate as he was unable to withstand the combined effords of LF and Donut.
After this things calmed down a lot. It wasn't until turn 14 (!) that another player got Riped (Nesty; Massie also went M-3). During those >10 turns of peace most people were struggeling with their economy due to the extremely bad weather during the first 15 turns or so (certainly the worst weather I have ever seen in a Wok5 game).
During this period of peace, Korexus heavly bombarded LF with CROPHELL and CORNSTEAL spells thereby completely crashing his economy (EFF down to 1%) despite Donuts help. Fredo later managed to recover but never really had any significant impact on the game after this (missed a lot of turns and went M-3 on the last turn).
Shortly after Nesty was Riped, Raw attacked TK, which apparently involved some NAP-breaking, but only the players involved really now what went on behind the scenes.
TK managed to beat Raw and at the same time Korexus managed to quickly Rip TK's clanmate, Allister Fiend.
This left TK, Korexus, Donut and LF. Donut and TK allied and Riped Korexus within a few turns.

GMs Comments:
This game was slightly unusual due to the long period of peace were everyone was trying to run an economy under difficult conditions (bad weather). Only three players managed to get a TECH level higher then 7 during that time. Donut and Korexus via using the Femma/Peelow tribe combination, and TK via running a good economy.
Due to the shortage of corn a lot of players struggeled to feed their POP and subsequently failed to pay their troops. This was one of the first games were not paying your troops stops you from upgrading them. This new rule certainly had an impact since several players accumulated around 400-700 wood without ever being able to use it. Similarly another player managed to level his troops well for a couple of turns but then his economy crashed and rapidly lost the troop level he had previously gained.
I personally like the new penalties for not paying your troops since upgrades and leveling (the two major ways to increase army strength) are both effected. Of course there are loop holes such as saving up wood and then just paying your troops for one turn, but this still is likely to cause stock limit problems.

Anyway, I like the recent changes to WOK5 (also including making tribe changing cheaper) and I am looking forward further improvents (TK, Dameon, Al, what happened to the "focus" group???).

Bugs:
I noticed two minor bugs:
1) according to the manual, you can have a maximum of 9999 gold in your account. However, three players managed to get more than 9999 (Donut had 31410 gold in his account at the end of the game). I don't think this bug matters too much, but either the bank account needs to max out at 9999 gold or the manual needs to be changed.
2)I noticed that in some case, provinces (in the province data section) that contained no troops of any kind (no armies, upgrades, creature) had a level of above 1.000, e.g. 5.117.

Thanks again for everyone who played, I enjoyed GMing this game despite the slow progress between turn 4 and turn 14.

GM Wippo

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Thu May 05, 2005 9:25 pm

An absolutely greatly run game as well. Turns were frequently out within an hour of the deadline, commentary always pretty funny. A+ Hippo.

The bank thing was pretty funny... it really didn't help me at all to be over 9999, but it should be changed in one of them.

2 things I did notice in this game: It IS a good thing that swamps don't have an upgraded troop. And, the DEF addition to the homes makes it very hard to RIP a person in the beginning. Had Smashy not left his home empty... we would have been there for quite some time until Fredo was able to make the trek up north. On the other hand, I would have died quickly had I not had the home to stay put in.

Donut
The scars remind us that the past is real.

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Sat May 07, 2005 10:26 am

Thanks for the sumup Xarfei - this is exactly the kind of feedback I am looking for in order to steer my coding for the next update.

It also seems to me that most changes recently were actually good for the game, but Ill sure keep monitoring the GMs comments. Please send me an extract of TRs showing at what point the gold went over 9999 so I can look at the checks there (same for Provs without troops that had a level)

The list of changes for the next update is shaping up nicely. :P

korexus

Post by korexus » Sat May 07, 2005 11:09 am

gm_al wrote: Please send me an extract of TRs showing at what point the gold went over 9999 so I can look at the checks there.
At the gaining interest part of the turn. :P

However the gold amount stayed above 9999 constantly then, so I would guess there is no check anywhere in the turn. Not that this is really a problem, Once you get over 8928 gold it doesn't matter if you have 9000 or 90000 in the bank...

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Xarfei
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Xarfei » Sat May 07, 2005 12:33 pm

I had a closer look and it looks like the bug arises when all the troops in a province are killed by GCAs. The army level in that province remains at whaterever level it was until new troops are moved in (then the correct level is displayed).

Xarfei

PS:I think I also found a similar bug in the WOK4 online engine at some point.

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Sun May 08, 2005 9:17 pm

The valuable lesson I learned in that game is never trust Nesty, he's the most wishy washy player I've ever had the displeasure to play with. Oh well, I rather enjoyed watching all the ensuing NAP breaking that I predicted would ensue eventually. The focus group sent our suggested tribal changes to Al a couple times now over the last three months so hopefully he'll pay them heed....if he does, we plan on working on completely rehauling the magic system. Mmm, fun. :lol:
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."