GM Fredrik - Classical Kaomaris WOK 5 Game

WOK for Advanced Players

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus

Lord Fredo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lord Fredo » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:40 pm

Well obviously something is very wrong no matter what the consequences so I will put this group on hold until we can agree on a sensible solution.
So about the commas or the regional settings, what do I need to do in order to change that to get everything (one thing?) straightened out?

Lord Fredo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lord Fredo » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:53 pm

OK so now I've changed my decimal divider to the stupid dot thing. Now how do I solve the problems with the game? In game players may suggest only please.

korexus

Post by korexus » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:59 pm

(Assuming you're running windows.)

Start menu -> Control Panel,
"Regional Settings" icon,
"Number" tab,

"Decimal Symbol" should be a full stop, ".".

It would probably be worth fixing this really. -Al do you want to send me the source code so I can mess it up? :wink:

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

TK
Trooper
Trooper

Post by TK » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:24 pm

Lord Fredo wrote:OK so now I've changed my decimal divider to the stupid dot thing. Now how do I solve the problems with the game? In game players may suggest only please.
My solution - put the homes to 2.6 and leave the neutrals on 0 or 0.1 or whatever.

The homes are the "strategic" provinces - the others dont matter.

TK

Xarfei
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Xarfei » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:29 pm

Just put the homes to 2.6 and ignore the rest.
Alternatively put all the other provinces to whatever DEF they should have started with,
don't care much really.

Xarfei

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:56 am

I agree with TK and half of Hippo... Assuming all players know that the DEF of the neutrals is 0.0 right now, no one player has an advantage. Holmes seem to be a different story. Just change the holmes... Holmes.

Donut
The scars remind us that the past is real.

Allister Fiend
Commander
Commander

Post by Allister Fiend » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:13 am

Let's restart......... :?:

Matters to me...(NOT)
Oh no!!! I'm out of those important papers.......

BigJOzzy
Trooper
Trooper

Post by BigJOzzy » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:23 am

Speaking as someone who is no where near a neutral and just fighting against another player it does matter to me. Reasoning is, other players will be able to take advantage of this laps while TK and I fight it out here.

Massielita
Mathematician is someone who knows that if three people walk into an empty room and five people walk out, then two more people need to walk in to the room to make it empty again.

Funtastick
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Funtastick » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:22 am

I abstain

Lord Fredo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lord Fredo » Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:24 am

OK so judging from what I've heard so far, and also from what I've not heared, it seems the general idea is that we at least do not need to do any rerunning. Correct?
Also it seems that if I manually, once again, change the defense levels of all the provinces to 2.6 (home provinces) and 0.8 (neutral provinces) all should be in not great at least OK with everybody. Correct?
And finally, after having changed my windows settings for the decimal divider from a , to a . I should be able to just use the current game data and this problem should be out of this world. Correct?
Input from in game players is welcome?

// Fredrik

BigJOzzy
Trooper
Trooper

Post by BigJOzzy » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:36 am

since no one wants my oppion anyway I will abstain and chalk it down to experience.
Mathematician is someone who knows that if three people walk into an empty room and five people walk out, then two more people need to walk in to the room to make it empty again.

BigJOzzy
Trooper
Trooper

Post by BigJOzzy » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:37 am

So do we just use our last turn results and go from there? When is the turn going to be due?

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:31 pm

Well, I tend to agree with Massie and think we should restart from scratch but will continue however Fredo decides.

Next question is the same as Massie's when will the turn be due?
There's no need to fear...........
Underdog is here

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:32 pm

The problem is in the South. Will the outcome thus far be much different? I'd say no. The reason I'm getting ruled is pretty much strategery. I don't think a rerun from scratch is necessary and I say this because i know that I would play it dramatically different this time around.

Donut
The scars remind us that the past is real.

BigJOzzy
Trooper
Trooper

Post by BigJOzzy » Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:59 am

The thing here is Donut, I had 9 troops when I got to TKs city, now in other wok 5 games (with defense for provinces) I have had more or as many troops by my 3rd province, which means I would have had a better defense against TK and then might have won that first fight, and all would have been different.

On top of that, since I haven't attacked any neutrals since the first set, the bonus everyone else has recieved via no defense for neutrals I didn't get so it puts all the others just a little a head, since they lost fewer troops. Now like I said I know it is a pain to change things and that is why I am willing to go along with the majority, but don't for an instant think that it is fair and hasn't changed anything, and don't think for an instant if this had gone against TFF that they wouldn't be complaining now instead of me.

Massielita

Allister Fiend
Commander
Commander

Post by Allister Fiend » Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:33 am

Why does everyone always reference TFF when it comes to situations?

:?
Oh no!!! I'm out of those important papers.......

BigJOzzy
Trooper
Trooper

Post by BigJOzzy » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:05 am

LOL......if you don't know, don't worry about it.....it would be over your head....... :D

Undertaker
Commander
Commander

Post by Undertaker » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:41 pm

Massielita wrote:The thing here is Donut, I had 9 troops when I got to TKs city, now in other wok 5 games (with defense for provinces) I have had more or as many troops by my 3rd province, Massielita
I've had as little 3 left troops left by the 3rd attack in more than one game. Sometimes people even fail to take a third neutral. (if this isn't relevant, sorry, please ignore. I'm assuming this was turn 1.)
"That's a good question. Let me see...In my case, you know, I hate to advocate drugs or liquor, violence, insanity to anyone. But in my case it's worked." Hunter S. Thompson

korexus

Post by korexus » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:19 pm

The line about the fight with TK is flawed. You can't say that having DEF wouldn't hurt your armies when taking the provinces but would hurt TK's when trying to hold it. You took three neutrals, then TK took the third as his first province, the odds on you holding it are tiny either way so you're basically saying "if we re-ran turn 1, I might get luckier".

Easy neutrals for other players may be an issue but most players get neutrals early on regardless. (eg, GM Wippo's Deutschland where you yourself have taken 8 neutrals in the first two turns even with normal DEF) so if the numbers can be sorted now I'd be tempted to say it's not really a problem.

Re-running turns before the most recent also causes issues as you have to ask players to send orders for at least one re-run turn. If the first turn went differently then people's second turn orders might not make sense, but if it went about the same, they would have extra information when re-sending orders (ie the results of the first run of turn 2).

As I see it, Fredo could only restart the entire game from scratch or carry on without a re-run. If I were GMing I'd go for the second option. A full restart would annoy pretty much everyone and the problems just don't seem that big...

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

BigJOzzy
Trooper
Trooper

Post by BigJOzzy » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:47 am

The hole point is from the first turn, I said rerun it with the defense in and I would take whatever happend as what was meant to be, good or bad. However, I was overuled and I said fine that is what majority wanted but now it happend again, and it does effect the number of troops everyone has left over, except the players that have not take extra neutrals (turn 2) which is me.....so that is why I was complaining. But again only one person supports my view, however I will say if people thought I would be worse off with the first run, then re-running would have been the best option for them, but no one wanted the rerun because they know as I do, that it could have gone the other way and wouldn't want to chance it.

Massielita