Proposal: Your posting ID should say what CLAN you are in.

The place that new game ideas and options are debated

Moderator: korexus

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Proposal: Your posting ID should say what CLAN you are in.

Post by Hannibal » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:25 am

An easy proposal. Hard to think of any arguments against!

Some of us have, in our posting ID, on the left of each post, what CLAN we are in. (I proposed this years ago and a few did it)

It wd be a lot better if we ALL did.

Me, I can't easily remember what clan TheDragon or Vortan is in, or whether Tinker or Nemesis joined a clan or not. And sometimes you get posts like "Join our clan instead", or some clan-banter, and don't know what clan each poster is from.

And it wd help poor GM's more easily get right who is in which clan. I set up Duels, I sometimes have to search really hard for posts telling me what clan the challenger-on-the-boards is from.

And it helps the "clan-feel" that most people think is important to encourage, me included.

And helps new players orient themselves as to who is who and in what clan.

So, every poster should have, minimum, under their avatar, what clan they are in (Mercenary is an option).

Calidus etc. do it in their sig., as they are clanheads, Fine. But even more clear if we ALL put it under our post-ID. Then Cal can choose something mysterious as his sig.; the fact that he is clan-head of Swirkle will be under his avatar ...

So, the mandatory week of allowing arguments for and against (against??!), and then I'll put it up for vote, ie that the ID's should say what clan you're from. Then Kor can tell us whether the best METHOD is for him to introduce an extra line in the ID, or whether the simplest is that we all just write a bit longer under "Location", which gets it into the ID anyway, the way that mine does.

Or you could vote with your feet/fingers. Just go revisit your ID and, under Location, add which clan you are in, easy.

Han
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

TBert
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TBert » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:32 am

I think everyone's clan is listed when you click on their name in a game window, but not on the forum.. Maybe the two databases should be linked together somehow. ::Chris gives TBert a nasty look:: or maybe make the Game player database searchable ::Chris gives TBert a slightly less nasty look:: or maybe... uhm... everyone should add it to their post ID.
pro libertate eos occubuisse - "they died for liberty"

Clan Head - Valn Ohtar

SGT - US Army

23-year-old father of 3 - really needs a beer

Calidus
Commander
Commander

Post by Calidus » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:31 am

Calling me out again, eh Hannibabble? :lol:

That's ok, I actually like this suggestion. It's an easy enough thing to do. Actually, I think a long time ago, I did have them under my avatar. I used to have ALL of them listed and ran out of room. I do not know how you would regulate such a thing, though, unless like Tbert said, there was a way to link it all together.

**stop Chris! OW! Don't hit me anymore! OW! It was Tbert's idea! OW! Hit HIM!**
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.

Tinker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tinker » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:43 pm

This idea makes perfect sense to me. Unless somebody comes up with a compelling reason to vote it against it, its got my support. *rushes off to change his location*
Tinker
"Trust me, of course I'm on your side..."

Vortan
Commander
Commander

Post by Vortan » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:11 pm

Forget voting - its done.

Bloomin' thing. Kept losing my avatar during process. Sorted now though. Too complicated for a thicky like me. :P
Now WHY did it do THAT!

If at first you don't succeed - give up and have a coffee!

Yes I am on the transplant list for a new sense of humour!

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:16 pm

I don't think we can (or should) legislate what people put in their profile. By all means, suggest it, but what would you do if someone refused? Ban them from the boards? A little harsh, methinks.

Traditionally the WSC only has influence on codes of conduct within games, I don't see why that should change.

Chris.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:36 pm

It would be a nice option if there was a 'clan' line in the profile that people could fill in.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

TBert
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TBert » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 pm

I realized that the Clan Roll Call thread was pertinent to this. Here's what Chris recently said, that I believe should solve this problem.
Although the clan system has been integrated into the site, the details are still maintained by humans.

Clan heads can accept applicants into their clan, boot them out or declare clan members MIA.

Individuals can leave a clan to go Mercenary, or apply to a new clan.

This means that any active player is listed in their current clan, but innactive players may not have een declared MIA, so appear still to be around.

Also, this is not an efficient way of searching for a player as you have to go through the clans looking for them, you can click on their name from a game page to find someone's clan. Maybe now that the summer holidays are here (yay!) I can manage some sort of forum hack, which allows people to view the player stats in the forum profiles...
pro libertate eos occubuisse - "they died for liberty"

Clan Head - Valn Ohtar

SGT - US Army

23-year-old father of 3 - really needs a beer