The Scholars proudly present...

Check here for the latest news, problems & ideas

Moderators: trewqh, korexus

korexus

The Scholars proudly present...

Post by korexus » Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:51 pm

It all started a little over a year ago. Egbert was in the champs and lamenting the fact that he couldn't get precise predictions for the battles. At about the same time there was a young and enthusiastic new scholar by the name of korexus who, as he was a second year uni student with far too much time on his hands thought he might be able to write a programme to help.

Ok, so that's not exactly how it started, but it's close enough.

Regardless, he wrote the programme and added it to the library. However the scholars kept coming up with new ideas for things to include and eventually it evolved far beyond a WoK 5 battle calculator and Count Henri Re-Christened it the "WoKulator". The programme carried on being changed, redesigned and debugged until one day, about a year down the line certain other clans gained access to it too.

As the scholars have always believed in freedom of information it seemed wrong at this point that some clans should have access to a tool and others not. Especially as some would also have older, buggier versions. So it was decided that the files should be made public.

Version 1.71 is the most recent. It comes in 3 seperate parts due to the limits of what QBasic can compile, but each programme can call the others, so it's important not to rename them or keep them in seperate folders. The same goes for the 5 text files. Anyone who wishes can now download the whole bundle from www.kaomaris.com/WoKulator_V1_71.zip the file is also linked from the kaomaris files page.

Enjoy it, people. And good luck!

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:49 pm

Good job ! :P

You all may notice that Korexus now also is an editor of the "common" WOK pages. We will have another one soon, so there should be more WOK news and files heading your way !

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:17 am

That's the true Scholar spirit guys!

Well done Korexus! :D
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Lowebb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lowebb » Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:57 pm

excellent truely excellent. I have been thinking about something like this for a while, mainly for WOK5 to keep corn in line and so on.

A suggestion as I know very little about qbasic, how about a complete programme, set up a text file where you would put in all province data and a seperate text file with all your orders and then the programme calcuates everything automatically, it could also take in probabilities of winning a provinces from selected data and so on.

But it is indeed a very good program

ThinKing

Re: The Scholars proudly present...

Post by ThinKing » Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:39 pm

korexus wrote:...the scholars have always believed in freedom of information it seemed wrong at this point that some clans should have access to a tool and others not...
:lol:

So, erm, why the year of secrecy?

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:22 pm

My guess is TK let the cat out of the bag, but he let a buggy one out. So, Korexus and the rest of the Scholars (who I know are decent folk) decided to make sure that everybody had the CORRECT version to better enhance their WOK playing experience. I do have to say I rather doubt they ever would have distributed it if TK hadn't done so first, but that's not saying anything negative towards them at all; there's no shame in creating a tool to help just your clan.
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:50 pm

hehe, I see some Disclosure contracts coming to a clan near you.

Donut
The scars remind us that the past is real.

korexus

Post by korexus » Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:25 pm

Pretty much spot on, Nick. Although officially the "year of secrecy" that TK refers to was "Beta testing" :wink:

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability