Check here for the latest news, problems & ideas

Moderators: trewqh, korexus

gm_al
Creator
Creator

POP bug - resolved ?

Post by gm_al » Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:58 pm

At least I hope so..... :roll:

Today Smashie sent me the files from his latest attempt to run his new Group. He couldnt, because the manager broke down with an error.

I analysed what he sent me, and to my full surprise I discovered that it had (once again) to do with the POP values. At least I had a trace now, and I was able to saw to some extent what had happened.

1. seems something went wrong with the INI file from Smashie (read below) - Smashie, start that initial Turn from scratch and check the Province names etc.
2. at some point the POP values got overwritten with other, garbage values

I have now changed some code in order to stop that overwriting from happening. I compiled a new version V3.30.3 that GMs MUST download please - this is a call to all Players too - if your GM doesnt use the updated version please tell him ! There were no other changes made, just bugfixing.

I cant guarantee this wont happen again, the *return of the POP bug* might well happen.... :roll: but Im crossing my fingers now.

Two important things:
- seems INI files are really at the origin of some of the related bug reports. Again, CHECK for bugs when you start the manager and load up the INI you use !! To make 100% sure the INI is "good" I suggest clicking on it in the Map Central, then copy and past the data into a .txt file you can save and use as your INI file. Other suggestions ?
- if anything regarding the POP bug happens, please make sure to send me the .DAT file, the .AOF file and one Turn reports where it shows up

:P

SmashFace

Post by SmashFace » Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:44 pm

i think you may all start praising me now! :luxhello: :worship:
God of WOK

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:54 pm

Go Smashie! Go Smashie! :worship:

Thanks for fixing that Al, should prevent a lot of irritating re-runs! :D
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:45 pm

ALLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!! IT'S THE MAPMAKER PRO!!!!!

I ran my turn 03. Did some things, then used the Mapmaker to color the map. After, don't ask why, I looked at the province data and the pop values were reset. Thank God I didn't save it.

I would suggest to all to make sure that you save before you use the mapmaker and be sure NOT to save after you have used it.

Donut
P.S. -- HAHA Smashy, I'm gonna steal your Glory.
The scars remind us that the past is real.

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:29 pm

Whoooaaaaaa - I must admit it, I think Donut found it !

It definitely looks like it is the MapMaker Pro. Thats also the reason why I never was able to reproduce the bug, because when I do test-runs I dont color the maps afterwards !

I was already able to reproduce the bug, and Im working on it. Guess Donut is the new bug-king !

PS: when you run a Turn it automatically saves the new data at the end of the process. It is SAFE to use the Mapmaker for coloring the map, but, just like Donut said, DO NOT save the Turn data again afterwards, as it will be corrupted !!

SmashFace

Post by SmashFace » Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:47 pm

AHHHH i ran and saved the turn after using th mapmaker pro last night! now i need to redo everything, dont i :( ugh i PROMISE tommorrow turn 00 will be out, tonight i will be gone until 1 a.m so yeah
God of WOK

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:26 pm

Ok, after all the hassle I must congratulate Donut for really finding this nagging little beast and helping me to squash it for good.

Ive taken a few (dramatic) measures to make sure it will not happen again. Ive then compiled the new V3.30.4 and its already available for download. Players make sure to ask your GM to upgrade, PLEASE.

Changes:
- removed the "Change INI file" menu entry
- MapMaker will not ask any longer for an INI to load when it comes to coloring the map. It will take the one you started the manager with
- once you have chosen a Group number on the main screen, and eventually loaded an old Turn, the Group# will be disabled

This all results in that you can effectively only run ONE GROUP AT THE TIME. To switch to another Group you are running, you will be forced to quit the WOK5 manager and re-start it. Thats no big deal, and it assures that the INI files will keep correct values all along. :P

Thats it, I think we squashed the bugger for good. A million applauses out to Donut !!

/bow
/cheer

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:32 pm

Hey! Donut may be the one who found the solution but it was ME who found the bug itself :x

And another thing.... Al.. So after all: it WAS a BUG :P:P:P:P

But seriously, good job Donut and Al :D

trewqh
trewqh
the gleefully aggressive Vulking

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:02 am

LOL :lol: :lol:

We couldn't have done it without you Trewqh.

Donut
The scars remind us that the past is real.