Moderators: trewqh, korexus

Mullog
Veteran
Veteran
Location: Aalesund, Norway (freezing!). Member of the Vulkings

Kaobase2

Post by Mullog » Sun Dec 07, 2003 10:36 pm

Hello all.
For some weeks I have been working on the new Kaobase v2 and I am finally ready to start designing the actual website. So far I have been building writing the supporting code, the code that does all the actual work. :)

Over some time I have discussed with Al what features the new kaobase should have, but we are still interested in suggestions. Actually, that is the reason I am posting this. To get your comments and suggestions.

First of all, the kaobase will be a tool not only for the gm but also for the players. The kaobase will still know all the active games, but now it will also know the players.
Since the kaobase knows the players it can automatically fill in information like Player name and GM into the AOF. All order forms and turn reports will be available online from your private page in the Kaobase. Here you will also find a list of the games you are in and a link to your clans private page.
For the GM the kaobase will provide a standard web page for all games. The order forms will be available here and the GM can upload turn reports and game maps. This will remove a great hindrance for many wannabe-gms since they dont need to create a webpage for the game.
The kaobase will also have information about the clans: Who are members, who is the clan head, clan news and so on. The clan head will have control of who is members of the clan, he can write clan news and edit the clan webpage.

In the future we hope to be able to convert the WOK4 engine so that it is possible to run a WOK4 game without downloading the program. This will make life for the GM even easier... But that is just a dream for now.

So, what do you think? Is this worth working on or should i quit now?
Any suggestions?

Mullog
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
- Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Sun Dec 07, 2003 10:44 pm

".... or should I quit now ?" :?

This has just entered my contest of funniest WOK phrase of the year.

If there is something we all are begging for it will be KaoBase V2 and its features !

SmashFace

Post by SmashFace » Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:21 pm

keep up the GREAT work mullog! DO NOT QUIT NOW!!! i'm very excited for this if it turns out how you say it'll be awesome
God of WOK

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Re: Kaobase2

Post by Donut » Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:25 pm

Mullog wrote: Any suggestions?
Hmmm.... Can it play for me? That should be the ultimate goal!!!

Donut
The scars remind us that the past is real.

Mullog
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Kaobase2

Post by Mullog » Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:14 am

Donut wrote: Hmmm.... Can it play for me? That should be the ultimate goal!!!

Donut

Maybe I should create an Attack-Mullog-With-All-You-Have-And-Destroy-Him-Even-When-His-Neighbour-Will-Be-A-Much-Easier-Target mode.

Just for you, Donut! ;)

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Post by Egbert » Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:23 pm

:D Nice to hear, Mullog! Sounds like a tremendous undertaking. One feature which I always thought would be nice would be a "player search," where you could type in a player's name, and find out all the games he/she is in (well, you asked for suggestions.......).

What does this mean for GMs that have a website? Are the websites going to be obsolete?
"Fairy tales can come true,
They can happen to you,
If you're young at heart."

Bjorn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Bjorn » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:35 am

It might be useful to have a place where people can sign up for a certain type of game to let the GMs know where the interest lies. Right now a GM has to open a game and then see if anyone signs up for it. GM Mike has a good idea, asking first to see where the interest is.

Could you add something to the Kaobase where players could sign on to a waiting list for a WOK4 beginner, WOK4 advanced or WOK5 game?

Sorry I can't help code. My HTML is self taught and any other language I learned is obsolete. (Fortran IV or Pascal, anyone?)
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Mullog
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mullog » Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:31 pm

Those are good ideas!
I had planned to add a player search page, and displaying which games a player is in sounds like a coole feature.
A wait list was something I had not thought of. But it is still a good idea. ;) I will think of how to make it fit in with the rest of the kaobase.

The kaobase is now progressing fine. I have started to build the templates for the pages using style sheets so that it will be easy to change the looks later. I might have something to show you before cristmas. Maybe...

Mullog

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:46 pm

It's not explicitly expressed nowhere in this thread so, even though I think it is obvious, I'd like to make sure that Kaobase 2 will take over the role of the Turn Data Handler. It will, won't it?

terwqh

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:55 pm

trewqh wrote:It's not explicitly expressed nowhere in this thread so, even though I think it is obvious, I'd like to make sure that Kaobase 2 will take over the role of the Turn Data Handler. It will, won't it?

terwqh
Check that out Kermit can't even spell his own name right.
[glow=red]Terwqh[/glow]?
There's no need to fear...........
Underdog is here

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:34 pm

:lol:

It's not the first time it happened :)

And a.... I hope we will meet on chat someday :lol:

Those that talked to me there knwo why :lol:

GM Mike :P