No more pop-ups

Check here for the latest news, problems & ideas

Moderators: trewqh, korexus

Bjorn
Veteran
Veteran

No more pop-ups

Post by Bjorn » Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:59 am

I have volunteered to manage the websites for the international wargame group I play with (AHIKS). I am hosting the pages on Angelfire.

These guys are real bandwidth pigs. Three times this month access to Angelfire has been cut off due to overuse. I pointed this out to them and they agreed to pay for an upgrade to my account that will add storage and bandwidth to the site so it should not happen again. If it does, I will just add more bandwidth and get them to reimburse me for it.

One advantage of this is that my sites are now ad-free. There should be no more pop-ups on the clan pages and Hi Score. I hope you guys don't mind not having the ads.
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

trewqh

Re: No more pop-ups

Post by trewqh » Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:52 am

Bjorn wrote:I have volunteered to manage the websites for the international wargame group I play with (AHIKS). I am hosting the pages on Angelfire.

These guys are real bandwidth pigs. Three times this month access to Angelfire has been cut off due to overuse. I pointed this out to them and they agreed to pay for an upgrade to my account that will add storage and bandwidth to the site so it should not happen again. If it does, I will just add more bandwidth and get them to reimburse me for it.

One advantage of this is that my sites are now ad-free. There should be no more pop-ups on the clan pages and Hi Score. I hope you guys don't mind not having the ads.
Once, when I wanted to look at our score and was redirected to a site that complained about your bandwidth, I wondered could it be possible that WOKitos go to these sites often enough to cause such a problem. :P (I thought that: 'as often as I check it' times 'active WOKitos lately' could :lol: )

GW about those pop-ups, Bjorn!

trewqh

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:33 am

Yeah, Popups suck !

I guess by now almost everyone is using a popup-killer anyway, but nevertheless it saves time and trouble being able to avoid them.

Good job Bjorn !

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:44 am

Pop-up killer...not me...i can't stand the thought of missing out on something, even though 99% is absolute spam. :P

And thanks Bjorn for making the wok experience a bit better ever time. :D
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:24 am

If you are scared to miss something you just turn the popup-blocker off for that site.... one click in the google toolbar is all it takes and it will allow the popups again for that specific page.

I use this ie. in here for the messageboard - personal message are presented with a pop-up, so I allow it in here. On the other hand it blocks me the 99% I dont want to see.

Not good enough for you Sal ?

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:12 pm

But what if i miss some great add that offers just what i want?!?! :cry:

Besides i've got an 8mb internet connection, it's not like i have to wait for the pop-ups to load. :P
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."