Leaving on a Jet Plane......

Check here for the latest news, problems & ideas

Moderators: trewqh, korexus

Dameon

Leaving on a Jet Plane......

Post by Dameon » Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:45 am

All right folks, pay attention, this may be the best news any of you have heard in a long time. (Well, for your VP chances anyway!)

I am going to be taking an official leave of absence from WOK. :shock: This may seem totally out of the blue, and really, it pretty much is. The bottom line is, one of my career options lies down the path of outdoor education, which is basically helping today's kids interact with the environment we live in and learn from it. Some of you OLDtimers may remember I took a summer or two off back a few years ago to work at overnight camp- well, this is somewhat of an outgrowth of that. I have had many feelers out in terms of finding a job in this field, and much to my surprise and delight, an extremely good job opportunity has arisen for me for the coming year. Before this point I was tied down by my education, now, armed with my degrees, I don't have anything holding me back from doing what I love.

That opportunity is going to require me to move out of state, from lovely Chicago to SUNNY California, baby. A horrible sacrifice, but somebody's got to do it! :lol: I'm going to be working in the beautiful San Jacinto mountains, and suffice it to say, I don't think that my job description or the internet access out there is going to allow me to continue on in WOK. I will probably have access to email maybe once a week, I'm guessing, and that's going to be my entire connection to the online world.

I love WOK- I've put more effort into this hobby of mine than any other for the past five years, that goes without saying. And I won't be gone forever (you can stop cheering TK!), at least, probably not. The first session runs from about now to the end of November, I'll be home all of December, and then I ship back out again for the second session. Depending on how things go for me, this may become my full time career from this year onward, which would mean I move to California permanently, and once some administration opportunities arise regarding this sort of work, I'll have regular nighly email access again. I may also decide I'd rather go back to regular teaching instead- this is all going to be quite the adventure for me, in the nature of testing the waters.

Anyway- I won't be playing or GMing any games for the next year at least though, at least, unless I really decide I hate Cali and come back home. :roll: Another thing about this is I am going to have to be leaving very SOON. Like, tomorrow, or Thursday at the latest. Trust me I know how short this notice was- the job came through two days ago and I've been scrambling around ever since.

I hate to leave the WOK 6 development team so early in the makings of the game, but I'll be around for some playtesting and such in a few months if it's still going on. I hate to leave my clan so soon after it came back to life, but it will carry on in my absence- I am making arrangements for that. And I hate most of all to leave in the middle of two games I am GMing, but I will be sending all the data for those games to Al, and I am hoping he can find a replacement for me. I'd do it myself but I may not have the time, honestly.

Not much else to say....I'm going to miss WOK, but if there is one thing I learned in life, it is important for you do do what makes you happy. I am young, single, and free to do whatever I wish at this point, and I fully intend to make the most of it. Enjoy all the VPs you guys are earning while I am gone- I'll be back to claim my fair share again one day!!!! 8)
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Wed Aug 20, 2003 6:59 am

Now what a surprise this morning.... :shock:

Anyway, all there is left to say is GOOD LUCK from my side. Sunny California isnt the worst of all opportunities that can happen, especially with that new austrian governor coming up.... :P
Of course you leave quite a hole behind you - one that will take some big effort to fill. WSC, GM - and what about that new/old/almost new Clan ?? We will have to check on all that.

GMs, I got Nicks Group files. The games are well in progress, picking up shouldnt be too hard - just mail me plz !

So I wish you all the best 'going back to mother nature' - in fact, you have done the right thing. One should always do what he/she LOVES to do and CARPE DIEM !!

Duke

Post by Duke » Wed Aug 20, 2003 7:15 am

Now I know there is some cheering going on. Although the Irish all seems to have vanished.

However I am not one of them. I can only remember two times that you made me upset and one of them was a misunderstanding.

I didnt fully grasp what your job was about but good luck with it and if you read this within the next few months then please post your opinion on how we are doing in the Hexed group. I am not talking about giving away info, simply if we are masters of the game and pulling stunts out there on the field that continously amazes you or if you want to take our heads and clonk them together like Moe.

Have fun Nick.
First one here, last one to leave.

Mr_Piggy
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Mr_Piggy » Wed Aug 20, 2003 7:16 am

Although I've just arrived here, it's always sad to see a player leave.
Judging the Kaohalla, he isn't just a player. I mean: check out those VPs :shock:

Good luck in California Nick! I wish you all the best!
Mr Piggy!

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:21 am

So I guess there will be no beginner WOK 5 games soon :(

To be frank, I hate to see you go away form WOK but on the other hand I can't blame you.

Fare well and thanks for everything, Nick!

trewqh
trewqh
the gleefully aggressive Vulking

ThinKing

Post by ThinKing » Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:46 am

I will miss you, big guy. :(

Good luck with the job. Be sure to pop in when you can.

TK

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Post by Egbert » Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:38 am

"Do not follow where the path leads. Rather, go where there is no path, and leave a trail."

Good luck, Nick.
"Fairy tales can come true,
They can happen to you,
If you're young at heart."

Undertaker
Commander
Commander

Post by Undertaker » Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:00 pm

Good luck Nick. I hope everything works out for you.

It won't be the same around here. Hopefully you will be returning to the community some day. Anyway thanks for all the help and advice over the last 3 years.

Undertaker
"That's a good question. Let me see...In my case, you know, I hate to advocate drugs or liquor, violence, insanity to anyone. But in my case it's worked." Hunter S. Thompson

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Wed Aug 20, 2003 3:09 pm

Thanks for the goodbyes all, my flight leaves in just about two hours now. This is probably the last time I'll be able to sign on in a while- I will try to stop in whenever I have some time off and net access though. Good luck to all of you and see you again on the fields of battle one day! 8)
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Brykovian

Post by Brykovian » Wed Aug 20, 2003 6:19 pm

Good luck, Nick ... Seems an opportunity that you shouldn't turn down. Enjoy working outdoors!

-Bryk
Matt Worden Games ... Gem Raider, DareBase, Castle Danger, Keeps & Moats Chess

Raw
Commander
Commander

Post by Raw » Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:46 am

Nick

Hey Good Luck!!!

Sorry to see you leave so soon, hope your "outside education" has and "outside highspeed internet" connection so you can be back right after the flight :).

Cheers,
Ryan
It's not fast unless its got a fart can.

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Sun Aug 31, 2003 1:22 am

Hey all!

Well, Raw was right to a degree, my outdoor education facility has some high-speed internet access. Unfortunately, it's only one staff computer I am sharing with 20 others. :-)

So, I will still be on leave by and large through the end of November for certain. I will be able to access my mail a couple times a week though, so I will retain my WSC position for now, although I obviously can't be chairman any longer since I don't have the ability to update webpages from where I am (takes too long!).

It does appear there is dial-up access up here, which is a positive. It's through AOL though, which is not so positive. I guess I shouldn't be surprised though; if anybody could get computers to the mountains of Cali it had to be AOL eh?

The current season runs through the end of November, then I am off December, and back in January. I am hoping to bring my computer will me in January (I don't have it now) and then be able to resume at least a limited role as a player in WOK (AOL willing), althugh it'll be a while before I GM again I think. Ah well, I needed the break! :cool:

I will persue the boards from time to time as well, time permitting. If there is any need to contact me use my email, I will get back to you as soon as I get a chance.

WOK on!

Duke

Post by Duke » Mon Sep 01, 2003 6:13 am

Have someone told Nick about Scott?
First one here, last one to leave.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:26 am

I don't think so. Go ahead and do it :D

trewqh
trewqh
the gleefully aggressive Vulking

Underdog
Commander