W-A-I-T-L-I-S-T-S !!

Check here for the latest news, problems & ideas

Moderators: trewqh, korexus

gm_al
Creator
Creator

W-A-I-T-L-I-S-T-S !!

Post by gm_al » Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:40 pm

We need them, badly. More beginners are heading our way, so no more excuses - PUT THEM UP ! :roll:

All new volunteers for GMing are required to report to GM AL too.... 8)

Raw
Commander
Commander

Post by Raw » Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:16 am

I only see 1 game under GM AL :shock:
It's not fast unless its got a fart can.

Nestalawe
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Nestalawe » Fri Jul 25, 2003 10:44 am

What kinda stuff do you need to run turns etc?

I would consider becoming a GM, but for the fact that the only access I have to the net is at work, and I am not allowed to install or run any rogue programs. Hey, I shouldn't even be writing this!

However, I do have a laptop at home on which I could run the turns, then if all I need to do is then send the turns to players, and update the web page, then thats cool with me.

Does the manager automatically snd out the turns? I'm cool to manually send the turns to players individually, and a the moment (and for the forseeable future) I have the time and energy to do some rocking.

So, if that is all possible, I think the main thing is the manager. Can it fit onto a floppy? Even if it doesn't, I can zip and span it, so thats cool.

Let me know Al, and I will see what I can do. Maybe I should check out the GMing notes. I already know what map I would like to run first :wink:
This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality.
Embrace this moment. Remember. We are eternal.
All this pain is an illusion.

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Post by Egbert » Fri Jul 25, 2003 11:08 am

Well, I am already running 2 WOK4 games, and I am going to open up a WOK5 waitlist soon (with a new map! :twisted: ). So, if it's a WOK4 beginner waitlist you need, I am afraid I am all filled up at the moment, Al. Sorry.
"Fairy tales can come true,
They can happen to you,
If you're young at heart."

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:38 pm

I'll open my group 7. The Gateway game that was sadly indefinitely postponed due to world politics.

I'll start with a clean list so everybody has to sign up again if they want to play.

http://www.berkhof.demon.nl/group7/group7.html

And if i'm in a good mood tonight i'll even start my group 8, which will be a WoK 4 X-game that i've had on the shelf for quite some time now. :)
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:44 pm

Saladin - plz make me DoW and not DS for the Group. It only starts now so there is no point that I still play under DS.

Nesty, to become a GM isnt that hard. It takes committment and about 1 hour of time per Group and Turn.
The WOK4 manager is very basic and easily fits on a floppy. Its not that powerful though, but will do for running the turns.
The WOK5 manager is quite more elaborated. It can scan in WOK4 & WOK5 orders, as well as color the maps and send mails to the Players automatically. It has just 350 kb zipped, but will require some DLLs and OLE files to work (its best to install WOK StoneWars first, as its installer will also put the same needed files on your PC)

I see no problems running it from a laptop. If you have some webspace download the GM Package from the 'Files & more' page and get your site up. Then email me and we will get things started.

And Raw, yes there is only one game from me right now.... :) I could do more (and probably will once my first one dwindles down) but right now I have a few other projects im working on too. I was mainly concerned on our new Beginners and how to give them a chance to play.

Strider
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Strider » Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:56 pm

I am interesting in GMing as well. It's something I've wanted to try for quite a while now. If I run turns on weekends for games, I think I can be consistent as a GM. I would definitely be interested in hearing more about it (anyone want to create a GM handbook? :P), since I know next to nothing of HTML.

I would have to start after I move (mid-August). I can't get my computer out of storage until then.
Never laugh at live dragons...

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Fri Jul 25, 2003 11:04 pm

Id be happy to assist in any ways to get you all to a good start. And Im pretty sure the GMC as top institution on GMs will also be of great help.

THE GM COOKBOOK is a good idea. :P

It could be some kind of FAQ / Things to do (or who helps you doing them)

Ecrivian
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Ecrivian » Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:39 am

Strider wrote: I would definitely be interested in hearing more about it (anyone want to create a GM handbook? :P), since I know next to nothing of HTML.
We've a solution for that problem, know nothing? Turn to the fellows at About.com! Check it out, all sorts of help for HTML Basics and a few more advanced thingymabobers.... I'll post more links once I get the chance.

http://webdesign.about.com/cs/whatishtml/

http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/teachingtool/

http://www.htmlgoodies.com/primers/basics.html

http://www.arachnoid.com/lutusp/html_tutor.html

http://angelfire.lycos.com/doc/general/basics.html

Oh and if you're looking for free webspace I'd highly recommend Angelfire as they're very reliable and have lots of goodies to help you for free mind you. Als if you're looking to shell out a few bucks.... you could always buy some space off of Kaomaris.com but I don't know much about that, you should really ask AL about that.... :)
War determines not who is right, but who is left. We shall see in the days ahead whom of you appear atop the pile of corpses.

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Sat Jul 26, 2003 9:41 am

There is a webspace resell program on the main site, just for GMs. For $5 a month you can use the Kaomaris server and its goodies (no popups, fast access, PHP/Perl and MySQL support etc.) All money will be used to keep the servers running of course. :P

Hey Ec, do you still own that Kaomaris.net domain ? We could move it to the same server and find some use for it maybe. I have a new thread with 10 questions coming, plz check it out.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:08 am

I found this one very helpful when i learned html. It's written for absolute beginners.
Oh and if you're looking for free webspace I'd highly recommend Angelfire as they're very reliable and have lots of goodies to help you for free mind you.
Smashface found a reliable free webhost with no popus and such.

http://free.hostdepartment.com

Check it out.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

Aussie Gaz

Post by Aussie Gaz » Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:02 pm

Strider

Download the WOK GM pack from the Files & more section of this site.

It gives you most of the info needed to setup and start your first group.

I know bugger all about HTML but my first group has run fairly smoothly.

I run my game once per week and it takes me about two hours all up generally from downloading players orders to running the game and sending out the reports.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:37 am

Al, how about sending some of these new players over to join my wok 4 game? It's not a beginner's game, but at least they'll get to play. :)

Strider
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Strider » Wed Jul 30, 2003 1:17 am

Thanks all. I will definitely look into it all after I get through these two weeks of hell (pre-move) and get my computer out of storage. HTML-for-dummies is definitely my skill level at this point. My computer programmer brother says anyone can learn HTML. I shall give it the true idiot test.

:stooges:
Never laugh at live dragons...

Goat Herder
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Goat Herder » Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:05 am

Strider wrote:Thanks all. I will definitely look into it all after I get through these two weeks of hell (pre-move) and get my computer out of storage. HTML-for-dummies is definitely my skill level at this point. My computer programmer brother says anyone can learn HTML. I shall give it the true idiot test.

:stooges:

Get your brother to do it if he's so cocky. Who knows --- he might even like it and decide to join a game :P
Live long and prosper ---- but don't let the Taxation Department know.

Mr_Piggy
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Mr_Piggy » Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:57 am

I would love to help out with this, but I haven't played a game yet :wink:
Mr Piggy!

Aussie Gaz

Post by Aussie Gaz » Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:28 pm

2 new waitlists open.

WOK 5 normal game & WOK 4 x-game.

Check relevant threads for details.

:D