GMs topic: the INIs

Check here for the latest news, problems & ideas

Moderators: trewqh, korexus

gm_al
Creator
Creator

GMs topic: the INIs

Post by gm_al » Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:31 pm

I was caught a bit by surprise to see that GM Mike had problems running the WOK5 Manager, due to INIs he couldnt load.

As a result I installed the WOK5 Manager at home (I only run it at work, you know, where I have time hehehe :P ) and, oh surprise, had the same problems that he mentionned.

It could well be that they modified the notepad in XP somehow, and as a result it wont show the INIs in the correct format (and also save them wrong) - basically it shows all <Enter> at the end of lines as boxes.

I found two remedies for the problem:
1> load the INI in wordpad and save it from there. This MIGHT work for most INIs, but strangely I still had problems with one INI when doing this. So cut and paste the data from wordpad into notepad and save it from there, this will work.
2> Even easier, go to the Map Central and click on 'Download' for the INI you need. This will display the INI data in your browser window. Now copy and paste this into notepad, save it - works ! (watch for the filename convention 'WOK4-xxx.txt' or 'WOK5-xxx.txt')

In any case the INI File Analyzer I wrote for the WOK5 Manager always performs a lot of tests with the data it gets. Therefore watch out to read '0 errors' after you loaded an INI.

This brought me to suggest that the GMC should come up with an FAQ for GMs, especially new GMs. We would need a page/document that answers all problems a GM could encounter - of course I would help doing such a thing and would also link to it from the main page.

trewqh

Re: GMs topic: the INIs

Post by trewqh » Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:39 pm

Two things:
gm_al wrote:It could well be that they modified the notepad in XP somehow, and as a result it wont show the INIs in the correct format (and also save them wrong) - basically it shows all <Enter> at the end of lines as boxes.
It can't be the Notepad itself, becuase WOK 5 Manger doesn't care about any MS software when uploading a file, so it has to be the way that text files themselves are handled by XP or how XP interprets the text files that it downloads somewhere from the Internet.
gm_al wrote:I found two remedies for the problem:
1> load the INI in wordpad and save it from there.
You were saying that who found this particular solution and told you about it? 8)

trewqh

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:52 pm

Yeah right, again the Polish guys helped the Austrian just like they did in the darkest time of the middle age when the Turks came knocking at Viennas doorsteps....

:P

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:35 pm

And certainly you are aware how Austrians repayed for that magnificent victory later in the 18th century. Poland dissappeared from political maps for over 120 years. :twisted:

trewqh

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:31 am

So what ?

After all we're taking your peasants into the European Community next year. 8)

Which means Poland will again dissapear from the political map for 120 more years :twisted:

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:05 am

Uuuuuh...

OH, YEAH :!: :?:

trewqh :P

Duke

Post by Duke » Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:33 am

All jokes aside, Poland isnt that bad actually. I have been to Krakow with some friends on vacation and if we ignored the giant gypsy camp outside our hotel then the rest of the city was nice.

I've also been to Prag to play a friendly hockeygame against eeeh Sparta Praha (I think?) but it wasnt as nice since they beat us, really bad too. :cry:

/D.

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:50 am

Now you are used to getting beaten frequently and badly, no ?? :twisted:

And the fact that 'hockey' and 'sweden' dont really go together has already been discussed in some other, Canada-related thread.... :roll: :P

Nestalawe
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Nestalawe » Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:12 am

enough of all this talk about innies, what about outties?

they dangnabbit ugly
This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality.
Embrace this moment. Remember. We are eternal.
All this pain is an illusion.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:57 pm

Duke wrote:I have been to Krakow with some friends on vacation (...)
Well, that's were is the oldest polish universuty located (one of the oldest in Europe also). And that's were I want to study! :D
Duke wrote:I've also been to Prag to play a friendly hockeygame against eeeh Sparta Praha (I think?) but it wasnt as nice since they beat us, really bad too. :cry:
Uh, let me just add that Prague is not in Poland :P It's the capital of the Czech Republic. (Unless you mean a district of Warsaw which is called the same)

trewqh