Server space for rent

Check here for the latest news, problems & ideas

Moderators: trewqh, korexus

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Server space for rent

Post by gm_al » Sat Jan 11, 2003 10:30 pm

Server costs negotiations are a yearly ritual - and this time it gets real tough it seems.

Right now we are at $15 monthly, with added webspace, traffic and a few freebies along the way. MBSHost suggested to me I could have another domain co-hosted on the server or would be able to resell unused parts of my serverspace to fellow GMs.

Here are the possibilities:

1. Host a second domain (anything, like yourname.com or kaomaris.net or whatever you are using right now)
2. offer some of the webspace for rent, ie. with a subdomain like "gmxxxx.kaomaris.com" - no ads, no popups, quick server and good support
3. offer a web-based mail account (like hotmail) with mail address like "playername@kaomaris.com"

This would also allow to cover some of the monthly costs and actually make good use of the resources at hands - right now kaomaris.com only uses a fraction of what is available.

The question is: would any GM or Player be interested in one of the options and how much would they be willing to contribute ?

There is quite some room for extending those offers. The server can do PHP, MySQL, CGI and all other known tricks. Im pretty sure my database guy at the office or our messageboard wiz CH would be willing to add some goodies to your site/domain for a few bucks.

As a community we can do these things at low cost and keep improving overall quality for evryone involved.

A concrete offer to GMs could read like "$5 monthly for 100 Megs and your own subdomain on the Kaomaris server. Traffic is fair use (which means we all share the traffic limit and its the only limit set)"

So what do you all think of this ?
Last edited by gm_al on Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SmashFace

Post by SmashFace » Sat Jan 11, 2003 10:37 pm

I'm sure it would be great to have GM's use the kaomaris server so that wayno pop-ups for people with slow connections as right now many people use 0catch.com which has many pop-ups. So i think it would be goood to offer the space to GM's.
God of WOK