WoK RPG Public Beta.

Check here for the latest news, problems & ideas

Moderators: trewqh, korexus

korexus

WoK RPG Public Beta.

Post by korexus » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:59 pm

Ok, I've responded to the nags and got the RPG into what I think is a generally usable state. By which I mean that I don't think future updates will knock the game out for more than a few minutes or that I will have to reset the database, thus destroying everyone's characters.

So, if you fancy trying it out, head over to the Lobby and click on the "My WoK" tab (where the shop used to be, the shop is now included within the RPG). You should get to create a character and try it out.

I'll refrain from posting any hints right now to see how the game plays out. I'll just say that every choice you make will affect your future game, but that there are no specifically "bad" choices.

Above all, remember that the game is still in testing. Don't complain if something blows up (but please do let me know!)

Chris.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Tinker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tinker » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:15 pm

Glee! :lol:
Tinker
"Trust me, of course I'm on your side..."

Tinker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tinker » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:59 pm

I'm level 3 now. Fear me, all of you! Or, you know, admire my whimsical lack of productivity. Whichever... :)
Tinker

TBert
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TBert » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:57 am

TBert the extremely dumb, unwise, and uncharismatic giant, has spent some time smashing things. He expects to smash more things in the future.
pro libertate eos occubuisse - "they died for liberty"

Clan Head - Valn Ohtar

SGT - US Army

23-year-old father of 3 - really needs a beer

Tinker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tinker » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:41 pm

Two things:

1 - my activity points aren't refreshing so I can't go out and pick on more kobolds. Help?

2 - is this the appropriate thread to post questions and comments?
Tinker

korexus

Post by korexus » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:33 pm

I had a bug which meant half-elves didn't get updated. Found and fixed it, thanks.

I've also manually updated you back to maximum AP for your level.

Post here, start a new thread, whatever you like :D

Chris.

SmashFace

Post by SmashFace » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:41 pm

grr chris..... taking up all my freetime!
God of WOK

SmashFace

Post by SmashFace » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:24 pm

one thing i don't like is when you are on the city, if you pushed "adventure" you can't go back in and shop if you forgot something, you have to move away and move back and use up some AP. i don't know if this can be fixed or if you meant it to be that way.
God of WOK

Hryllantre
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Hryllantre » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:33 pm

How often do our AP get refreshed :@(

korexus

Post by korexus » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:40 pm

Smashface, it's not deliberate, just an attempt to make life easier by automatically making you enter the city when you land on the square.

I can replace that with an enter button I think.

Hryllantre: Every hour you get 1/10 of your total AP back, and when you go up a level you get some bonus points too. I'm considering making the hourly amount (1/10 of total, minimum 100) so that low level players get a decent amount.

Chris.

korexus

Post by korexus » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:19 pm

There is now a button to enter the city, so you can go back inside for free.

I've also put the avatar and item sections inside the city so you can swap items round without going outside.

The temple is now open. You can donate to the deity of your choice, exchanging gold for hit points in a 1 to 1 deal.

I've fixed a bug with skills, so training with weapons and armour will now increase your PATT/PDEFF when you use that sort of item.

Chris.

Tinker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tinker » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:20 pm

So, I've found a Tome... how do I use it? I can't seem to use it, or equip it.
Tinker

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:14 pm

Well, Firstly I'd recommend identifying it. While most tomes increase a stat, some tomes reduce them. There are also tomes to give extra AP so you'll want to choose the time to use them.

Once you're sure you want to use it, just select it and click on 'Us'. Assuming you meet the stats requirements, you'll get the appropriate result.

Chris.

Tinker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tinker » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:29 pm

It was an AP requirement that caught me up; I didn't realize that I needed to have more than 100 available. Surprise for me! (Unfortunately, it's + Charisma)
Tinker

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:53 pm

Tinker wrote:It was an AP requirement that caught me up; I didn't realize that I needed to have more than 100 available. Surprise for me! (Unfortunately, it's + Charisma)
I'd forgotten that bit too. Maybe I should boost the tome that gives 200AP somewhat. It hardly seems worth it now...

Charisma is better than nothing. It may stop a monster from attacking you. :)

Chris.

Dragonette
Commander
Commander

Post by Dragonette » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:41 pm

Why does the person character have to be a male. Dragonette has the picture of a man, why??????

Korexus is it possible to make a female character, please. :} :D

dragonette

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:57 pm

The plan is to make the avatar customisable. - You select the style of eyes, mouth, hair etc that you want. Items that you're wearing then get put on top.

Unfortunately, as well as the coding (which I can cope with) this requires a fair amount of artistic input (which I can't). Players with boots, hats and gloves will notice that I haven't yet managed to make realistic pictures for them, let alone a feminie looking face.

But it will happen. Honest!

Chris.

SmashFace

Post by SmashFace » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:43 pm

are there some items that cannot be unequipped? because i cannot unequip an item right now, "derfs toe lint" and its kinda weirding me out
God of WOK

SmashFace

Post by SmashFace » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:50 pm

ok now my rant on using "mage" type charactors. spells are nice in some situations, BUT if it means that i get to play less, IE use some AP that i need to enjoy this game, i would rather swing a sword for free. so i propose making some of of spell power, or mana that can be used up, and refills along with AP so anyone wanting to make a mage type charactor doesn't lose pllaying time because of it.
God of WOK

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:02 am

SmashFace wrote:are there some items that cannot be unequipped? because i cannot unequip an item right now, "derfs toe lint" and its kinda weirding me out
Some items are cursed. You'll have to go to the shop and use the remove item button, but it'll cost you.
SmashFace wrote: spells are nice in some situations, BUT if it means that i get to play less, IE use some AP that i need to enjoy this game, i would rather swing a sword for free.
Tricky. The logic behind using up AP is that a spell can do far more damage than swinging a sword. This means you spend less time fighting the monsters, they get less opportunities to attack you and you have to spend fewer AP resting afterwards.

Add to that the classes of spells which heal you or allow you to move around the map and having a separate spell point stat could make AP pointless for pure mage characters.

I could be convinced to change the spell costs, or make them variable in some way, to help out low level spell casters (AP are pretty plentiful at higher levels) but I'd much rather keep them tied to AP...

Low level mages will always be weak, this is by design. In my mind throwing fireballs at monsters is something you have to work at a lot more than swinging a sword. Once you get good at it though, the rewards pay off!

Chris.