Check here for the latest news, problems & ideas

Moderators: trewqh, korexus

Mullog
Veteran
Veteran
Location: Aalesund, Norway (freezing!). Member of the Vulkings

WOK was down for a day

Post by Mullog » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:31 pm

Regarding the other discussion about wok's future I suggested we consider changing web hosts and upgrading the webpages. In light of the recent downtime I think we really should consider it... What do you people think?

Mull
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
- Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

korexus

Post by korexus » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:40 pm

Well, I was going to start my own thread, but may as well hijack Mull's.

The dotgig servers, on which Kaomaris is hosted went down today, at some point before 12.40 GMT. Hosting have since put it back, I assume I will get an explanatory email soon.

As it is likely that various players could not enter orders during this period, I have paused every running game in the database. No turn will run until the GM of that game permits it, hopefully this will stop any problems on our end due to the down time.

Chris.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

korexus

Post by korexus » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:42 pm

Just an update. Yesterday after the server was rebooted a Kernel error caused the system to be unbootable. This server is aging so I've decided to replace it. Soon I'll be sending out an email about moving all accounts. There shouldnt be an issue, just wanted to give you an update. Everything is up and stable for now.

Samuel
I think they read your post, Rune. :P

Chris.

Mullog
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mullog » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:14 pm

Yep! And nobody else did... :cry:

Dragonette
Commander
Commander

Post by Dragonette » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:18 pm

I read it just didnt have anything to say on the matter.

d

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:15 pm

And I have no understanding of how much it would change the navigation, the layout, the spacing, nor how much work it would cause you to change, versus the work of fixing bugs with the current web host and delaying games.

No need to explain the differences to me, I'll just trust your judgement.

Han
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:13 pm

Hannibal wrote:And I have no understanding of how much it would change the navigation, the layout, the spacing, nor how much work it would cause you to change, versus the work of fixing bugs with the current web host and delaying games.

No need to explain the differences to me, I'll just trust your judgement.

Han
This isn't really the issue as we don't have the power to fix bugs with the current web host. We just have to decide if we're happy with the exhibited level of bugginess.

Also, we don't have to change anything when swapping servers. It would just be a good excuse to do so if we wanted.

It would be entirely feasible to copy the entire site, as is to a new host and take the domain name with us. You'd see strange results for about a day, during which I'd have to make sure that no turns ran and appart from that you'd never know.

Of course it would be a shame to do this immediately *after* I paid for a year's hosting... :(

Chris.

Mullog
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mullog » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:41 pm

korexus wrote: course it would be a shame to do this immediately *after* I paid for a year's hosting... :(
Yeah. You are right of course. It would be a waste. And besides, changing the web host will be much work even though it should be just copying the files and the database.

It would probably be smart to wait for a while and consider if we really need to change hosts. The reason I suggested it at all was the downtime. A full day is a long time and we have had problems with downtime earlier as well.
In addition we have the planned marketing campaign with the following hordes of new players. These will increase the traffic on the server and we may have to upgrade anyway.

But. It's nothing to worry about immediately anyway... :)