Update. Making the Lobby and forums more compatible.

Check here for the latest news, problems & ideas

Moderators: trewqh, korexus

korexus

Update. Making the Lobby and forums more compatible.

Post by korexus » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:49 pm

For some time now, we've had two versions of member profiles. The forum profile, linked from these boards and the player profile, linked from game pages. I've finally figured out a way to combine the two, so now clicking on either link will show both profiles.

Now I really do have the incentive to make the player profiles accurate!

Chris.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

korexus

Post by korexus » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:50 pm

And now, the real reason for combining the two profiles. Inspired by Yondallus, I have added a new feature to the boards/lobby. You, the dedicated players of WoK can now own your own items!

If you take a look at Yon's profile http://www.kaomaris.com/phpNuke/modules ... file&u=349 you will see that he owns the Last Pigeon of the Scholars. Clicking on this will give a full history of the item. As the owner, Yondallus can give it to whoever he likes (although I doubt he wants to).

The idea is that we will create several items which can be staked in Duel games. GMs could also give an item as a prize for a game they are running, adding a little competition without the formality of Victory Points.

What do people think? Are we just crazy? - If so, does that matter? Would you like to own your very own WoK Items?

Of course, there are currently only two items in existance. For this system to work, we'll need some more. Suggestions on a postcard, please!

Chris.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:53 pm

Great idea!

I hope the looks of the combined profiles can be more 'unified'?

And what are those items? :wink:
Last edited by trewqh on Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trewqh
the gleefully aggressive Vulking

Yondallus
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Yondallus » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:12 pm

they could be pretty much anything.
Just something to make duels and games more interesting.
Here's some of my ideas for items:

Beautyful Blonde Sidekick: Really hot blonde. Makes any man wish he had a sidekick like her. Makes the owner feel good about himself.

Tome of Intelligence: Book that gives its owner an intelligence boost. Particularly popular among Scholars that aren't as gifted.

Aztec Statue of Fertility: Small statue that is said to make its holder irresistable.

Necklace of Roaring: Necklace that allows you to make scary roaring sounds, scaring away pretty much everyone.

The Mercenary's Sword: The sword wielded by the greatest Mercenary of all time: Grab'Gorok. Holding this instantly makes you a legend.

Valn Ohtar's Dragon Armor: Large armor made of dragon skin. It's so hard that no sword can pierce it.

The Magic Amulet of Nine: Amulet that is made from 9 smaller amulets. It contains the power of nine. Created by the founders of the Circle.
Lord Yondallus

currently owns:
-a tent
-the last pigeon of the scholars(won in a duel vs Korexus)

Nemesis
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Nemesis » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:03 pm

Some pretty powerful items there but I woul like to claim the Beautyful Blonde Sidekick for myself :2thumbs:

Brykovian

Post by Brykovian » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:12 pm

Yondallus wrote:Particularly popular among Scholars that aren't as gifted.
Seems like that one would fit me like a glove! :D

-Bryk
Matt Worden Games ... Gem Raider, DareBase, Castle Danger, Keeps & Moats Chess

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:20 pm

The Vulking Alarm-Clock? :twisted:
trewqh
the gleefully aggressive Vulking

Yondallus
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Yondallus » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:01 am

actually, I had an idea for a Vulking War Horn.
Lord Yondallus

currently owns:
-a tent

TBert
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TBert » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:24 am

That's... actually... a really cool idea.
pro libertate eos occubuisse - "they died for liberty"

Clan Head - Valn Ohtar

SGT - US Army

23-year-old father of 3 - really needs a beer

Aussie Gaz

Post by Aussie Gaz » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:35 pm

How about:

A Jewel encrusted duelling Sabre.

To be held by the top person in the Duel rankings.

and......

For the top person in the Duel-Lite rankings we have......

wait for it....

A Lite Sabre

:D

korexus

Post by korexus » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:20 pm

I like them, I will add them tonight! :)

The next step I am putting together is an item "shop" Users will be able to spend points from participation to gain various items. These will, of course, be less prestigous than won items, but will allow us to bulk up the number of things available. - Not everything should be special or no one will ever want to bid anything.

Chris.

Dragonette
Commander
Commander

Post by Dragonette » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:07 pm

wizard handbook = giving you the power to make the person against you surrender if you get to turn 15 in a duel/duel lite.

amlet of good luck= helps people to win their first 5 duels against different people.

amlet of strength = makes your armies think their bigger and better than all others.

korexus

Post by korexus » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:59 pm

The shop works, it is available at http://www.kaomaris.com/phpNuke/modules ... y&tab=shop
Currently, it only stocks gold bars, but it has a lot of them. Once you buy an item from the shop, it is added to your profile and you can give it away as you wish. Currently your "balance" of points is defined by the number of participation points you have minus whatever you've spent. I'd quite like for victory points to go into this balance too and maybe cash donated. Any thoughts?

Also, the shop needs some more standard items. Suggestions still welcome.

Chris.

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Post by Egbert » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:14 pm

Fabulous idea! :D Just stop giving away Scholars items! I really liked that pigeon!
"Fairy tales can come true,
They can happen to you,
If you're young at heart."

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:58 am

Fabulous idea! Lots of fun. Lots of excuses for challenges, lots of bragging rights, lots of banter.

Here's an idea: Each clan creates two interesting-sounding clan-related items, for now, one worth 10 bragging points, one worth 5. Each time it is put up and defended successfully, it doubles in brag-points. Each time it is won by another, it quadruples in brag-points. Ad infinitum. So, that Scholars' Pigeon is currently in Yoyo's hands and is top-item, worth 30 brag-points (probably worth MORE to the Scholars to get it back .......).

And non-clan items are great, eg Dragonette's Amulet of Luck. If put up and successfully defended, it doubles in brag-points; if won (as a non-clan-item) it only triples in value rather than quadruples ....?

Just trying to offer progress thoughts on Yond's and Kor's great idea. For consideration.

OK, we Vulkings have two revered items we would die to retain:
1) That Vulking War Horn that Yondallus suggested, our 10-pointer.

2) The Vulking non-sleeper alarm-clock, as Trew suggested, starting at 5 brag-points.

Currently then, the most valuable brag-item in play is that "Last pigeon of the Scholars". Worth 40 brag-points now that Yond has nicked it ...

I didn't realise that the Scholars were down to their very last pigeon ... Hey, in the Vulkings Clan, we eat pigeons, 24 to a pie ...!

Anyway, does that help get on-board with this great idea? Hope so.

Hannibal
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:11 am

Nemesis wrote:Some pretty powerful items there but I woul like to claim the Beautyful Blonde Sidekick for myself :2thumbs:
Ah, you might LIKE to claim her .... but she is surely mine! (I went for the same "item" for some reason ....)

Looks like we'll have to fight for her favour. On a ground of your choosing (map), with rules of your choosing (Full Duel, or Duel Lite or pistols?), at a daybreak of your choosing...

She is mine!

Han
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

Duke

Post by Duke » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:00 pm

Well if Raw's obsceneties didnt scare any potential female players away I am sure that Blonde Bombshell wont. :roll:

Not saying that there is anything wrong with blonde bombshells...nothing at all....

Anyway, as the remenissing kind of guy that I am I just wanted to inform you all that this discussion has been had before. We simply didnt have a wiz like Korexus to make it reality back then (I am talking 4-5 years back here).

What we discussed was similar to this. You should be able to purchase items that gives you benefits on the battlefield or simply stood for glory (or vanity). This started of a giant flamer (like everything back then) and one side wanted a lot of things like the possability to purchase even troops so that you could put those in after turn 0 and before turn 1 in a game. That fell on the technical problems to put it into play. The other side wanted it to be more of spells of some sort that in a mild way gave you an upper hand. Then there was some crazy people including myself who wanted personalities in the game like "Hannibal the British Axe-swinger" that would give you a +1 EFF boost as long as he was alive. You could then choose if you wanted one or more in a game prior to turn 0 and you could then move them with the troops and they would have a separate movement phase. A lot of problems arouse with that idea (how do you kill them? Could they be taken as P.O.W. to be exchanged between clans in between games?).

The bottom line of it all was to make the game more alive IN BETWEEN the acutal games so that the forum and the behind the scenes thing is alive at all times. Clan Heads could start clan wars over a specific item that the winning clan would get (it used to be only for glory, still is I guess) and there might be more personal alliances between players (I have the jug of wisdombeer and you have the thong of good health so that makes us a good team in a game or whatever) and trading and so on and so on.

So it took 5 years or so for this to actually become real and no one is happier then me. I was pro this type of stuff from the get go. I guess the programming is our only limits to what we might integrate into the game.

GREAT JOB K-Man (may I call you K-Fed?)
First one here, last one to leave.

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:10 pm

Not convinced about items giving in game benefits. I toyed with the idea, but wouldn't like to give established players even more of an advantage over newbies...

korexus.

Duke

Post by Duke » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:32 pm

If you find the old messageboard I am dead sure you find at least three players saying the exact same thing. :)

Now, I am not saying it was good or bad, I simply said that this was what we discussed back then. You are probably right per say that it gives newbies a hard time and as I recall it a suggestion back then was that the items belonged to the clan and the clan head sort of handed them out prior to games so that it even could make a newbie more powerful then an oldtimer just due to the artefacts. Nevermind. It is probably a bad idea.

Thinking of it I might as well post a few of the other ideas that people came up with:

* Dark troops
Sort of like the robos in the duels. A known force that isnt acting with or against a specific person or clan. "The goblin nest", "The mountain Dwarfs". You would've been able to trade an such with them. I think Nick had an X-game with this element in it. Human-handled then of course.

* Ongoing leage
You start with what you had when the last game ended. You have randomazied groups with 10 players in each. When five in the group are dead the game ends and the remaining five players meets five players from another group WITH WHAT THEY HAD. Makes diplomacy and teambuilding vital. At the end you have ten players left with probably killer forces who battle to only one remains.

* Divine intervention
A brief discussion on the possability of gods being a part of WOK. Making sacrifizes for spells or something. Priests or monks gives you some sort of powers. Like in old school Warcraft when there are both magicians and priests but you get different spells. I remember I suggested the type of wierdo gods you find in Pratchetts books but Nick wasnt all that crazy about those type of gods.

* Online LIVE WOK
Orders being handled IMMIDIATELY. A larger map is needed and some modifications with troops and so on. For example you couldnt attack three provinces with the same force. They move like peasants in chess in WOK4 or in WOK5 they move differently if they are Knights (on horses presumably) or Catapults. You get the picture.

I probably can think of more ideas later.
First one here, last one to leave.

Yondallus
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Yondallus » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:55 pm

Membership number 1: This item grants you the right to brag about how long you have been here and how good it was back in the day.
Lord Yondallus

currently owns:
-a tent